Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

You should check out the next contest that comes your way - best way to try yoyos before you buy em.

4 Likes

Why don’t restaurants deliver for free?

An actual valid comparison would be if yo-yo retailers charged for credit card service fees. They don’t, so why should BST sellers be able to pass on the fee for using PayPal’s services as a seller to the buyer?

If the same restaurant that charges for delivery also charged you for using a credit card, that would be a legitimate comparison here.

If the price is 75$ the price should be 75$. If someone trusts you enough to do F&F cool, you just saved yourself 2 dollars. But if you’re using PayPal as a seller you’re accepting that you’ll be charged a fee.

3 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. However, for me, “trying out” means spending at least a week or two with a yoyo, in order to really get to know it.

3 Likes

I can feel that - sometimes you get that honeymoon phase with a yoyo that fades after a few weeks. Contests can still be a cool experience though, you can see the colors for yourself in person, and skip all that waiting for shipping too.

2 Likes

Same, @zslane. @shatterFX I think if my skill level were a bit higher I’d be able to really test out a yo-yo more quickly. My skill is also variable from day to day based on time spent playing and… actually quite a lot by how well I’ve been sleeping.

Still, would help to weed out throws I definitely don’t like, or find ones that don’t play at all as I’d expect—good and bad. Definitely something I want to do in the future.

Because restaurant deliver is way higher than 3$ to a $100 yoyo.
And using credit card service is not that comparable to paypal since visa/mastercard is fundamentally different and also a first hand market is also fundamentally different to a second hand market. But that’s not the most important part and I don’t want to go deeper.
And I’ve stated it’s not a issue only if it is stated out clearly, I gave the opportunity to save to the buyer and won’t force it on them and will write out clearly beforehand.
There’s always people wanting to use F&F and in some cases needing to like the case with the Wanker.

You’re the one that compared a retailer to the BST to begin with. It’s a flawed comparison but I was just taking tour example further. And shipping is more than 2.9%+10 cents of the cost of most purchases people are making.

The credit card example was to demonstrate that you’re agreeing as a retailer to pay the fees for using them, just like you agree to pay the g&s fee by using PayPal. It’s literally in their terms of service.

And yes it’s much better to just include it in the price, but not as in 95$ f&f, 100$ G&S. Just price it at 100$. Otherwise you’re basically saying hey, I’ll give you a discount for not protecting yourself in this transaction.

3 Likes

There are some yo-yos that I fall in love with instantly and know I’ll be keeping for a long time, but definitely have had some where I like them a lot at first but definitely don’t gravitate towards as much later on.

On the rare opportunity i get to try some in person I’ve now developed the standard of if i don’t immediately know i want to buy one I don’t need it. At MA States i tried a few things and was able to knock a couple of then off my potential wants list as a result. They were nice but not so great that I saw them getting constant play time.

The one that stood out immediately as something I want is the Grasshopper GTX. I loved it instantly.

1 Like

I think you just won this entire thread, Nathan. This is the true spirit of unpopular yoyo opinions.

This made my day :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

its because thy don’t won’t you buy let say pads that are under the cost of shipping and basically getting them for free at least that’s what I think

Gimmicky yoyos are worth buying more than all-rounders. Since I already have a decent collection of yoyos of various shapes, I’m less interested in the next “best” and more interested in the most unique. New competition yoyos or even new organics without some unique element to it makes me want to skip over and ignore it, even if it is hyped. What fuels you to expand your yoyo collection?

2 Likes

People are overly concerned with vibe. When I first started throwing, if you couldn’t feel the vibe on the string and it wasn’t visibly shaking, it was vibe free. A bit of rattling on your fingernail is not going to effect play.

12 Likes

It seems we share the same unpopular opinion. To me, I just don’t seem to notice vibe unless it is earthquake level. I feel like I don’t understand why every B-grade I play has been given B-grade status.

9 Likes

Ah, the vibe convo again. The way I see it, no, minor vibe isnt very important at all, but standards have changed and now new yoyos often come very smooth. If I were to buy a brand new yoyo that everyone has been saying is dead smooth, pay full retail, and acquire something with vibe, id feel slighted. On the other hand I just bought a D bearing yoyo that came with a decent amount of vibe (can’t feel it on the string though), and since vibe was to be expected because of the design, I don’t care at all.

Though I can also see the point of the anti-vibe enthusiast. Vibe-free yoyos play smoooth and are normally very quiet, which can be a desirable trait. While additional vibe may not affect play performance, it can change the experience. Sometimes I just want to spend time with a silent, silky smooth yoyo instead of a roaring buzz-saw.

1 Like

Yeah…it does not affect play at all, but IMO, if I pay a good amount or money to get a premium feeling, I like them to be smooth.

3 Likes

Totally agree

Right! I miss typing out snarky responses to people then deleting them before I post!

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel with throws made today. If it’s $50 and plays well that’s great. If it’s $125 or even more I kind of expect close to perfection.

6 Likes

Meh. To me if it isn’t really visibly noticeable, and I’m not feeling it much on the string, it doesnt bother me. To me, I’m paying a premium for how it plays. And I cant speak for other people, but how I use a yoyo doesnt include letting it sit there with my fingernail against it.

2 Likes

I feel like if it sounds like a buzz saw, it might not fit that definition of acceptable vibe I gave haha.

2 Likes