Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

I just think they’re such subjective terms that even if they weren’t meaningless in the context of describing a yo-yo they’d still be useless.

One person might think super stable rim weighted yo-yos are boring while another might say the same about light center weighted speedy yo-yos.

1 Like

It is the same problem that wine critics (and aficionados) face. Our vocabulary is insufficient to describe the variety of flavors/sensations/whatever that we experience. So we speak in metaphors, like describing a wine as having a “woody” or “floral” quality, or describing a yoyo or guitar as having “soul” or “personality”. All of this is just the inability to otherwise convey a highly subjective and personal experience. The fact that readers/listeners can only, at best, try to imagine the experience being expressed, and is really of little practical use to anyone, doesn’t stop people from engaging in the struggle anyway.

7 Likes

Yes but it’s entirely subjective though. It’s your experience, so it should not affect other people’s perspectives.
The problem is that some people say a yoyo feels good because someone told them it does, or because that justifies the price.
I’ve only tried one high end organic and I really liked how it felt. But that doesn’t mean that it’s a better yoyo than an N11
Quite frankly, there is no reason why an organic yoyo over 100 feels better than an N11. It’s all subjective.

If you handed a random person an N11 and an expensive organic, I doubt they could tell you which is better.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree that it’s all subjective.

But why, then, share such a subjective experience if it isn’t intended to potentially benefit the reader somehow? Is it just for the satisfaction of reading back what you wrote (like hearing yourself talk)?

If we’re talking YouTube reviews, promoting a product in exchange for getting that product for free seems to be a good motivation.

2 Likes

I was primarily referring to posts in forums like this one. I figured MoosaK was too.

You share it because it’s your opinion, your personal choice, and you want to spread that to others.

I know, but philosophically speaking, why spread it to others? If the fact is that the experience is so subjective that, as you say: “It’s your experience, so it should not affect other people’s perspectives.” What is the point/value of sharing it?

Well it’s like most anything you recommend isn’t it? Movies… a pool cue… hair shampoo…

Why do people review things? Each person probably has their own reasons.

2 Likes

I think there are descriptions that are less subjective though, those are still valuable. Stability, weight, and speed among them. Especially if you can establish a standard of comparison among yo-yos first.

Like, if someone reviews a yo-yo you think is a good weight, not too light and not too heavy and finds it too light, you can use that information in all of their other reviews to know where their preferences are and judge what they say about yo-yos accordingly.

You also have to take into consideration their skill level. If someone is evaluating the speed or stability of a yo-yo but is at a more intermediate level I’m going to probably take their input with a grain of salt.

So there’s still subjectivity there, but it can be useful regardless. Definitely more than “the yo-yo has a nice laid back feel to it.”

You share your opinions because you want to spread your preferences. But most preferences are much more quantifiable than the feel of a yoyo.
In most of your experiences, you can interpret some things logically. If a movie is good, I can say I think so because the plot is good, or the characters are good, or maybe the graphics are good.
I can say that I like certain yoyos because they are fast, or stable, or heavy.
But how can I justify my claim that one aluminum yoyo “feels” better than another aluminum yoyo with the same shape and nearly identical weight. I can’t, because there is no logical connection there. You made it up in your head.

True. But specs aren’t opinions, they are merely facts that could be conveyed by anyone, including the manufacturer and/or vendor if they are feeling helpful. There’s no need for useless metaphors there since we’re just talking about numeric measurements.

The interesting point being made, I think, is that the moment you resort to the purely subjective metaphors, you’ve given up any chance you might of had of conveying useful information. You’re just waxing poetic at that point, which can be entertaining, but not terribly informative (in a purely practical sense).

2 Likes

This is what I meant

1 Like

Being “fun” and “chill” is what’s keeping organics going though :joy:

If we take that away from them what are they

7 Likes

We just need to find some quantifiable way to express those qualities.

Hey, don’t mess with my very fun, laid back, super chill, floaty, personality machine man :triumph::triumph::triumph:

3 Likes

“Super stable, spins for days, handles everything you want to throw at it, great finger grinds, great finger spins, okay for thumb grinds.”

11 Likes

The checklist for every single T&B yoyo review ever made, IN that order.

15 Likes

This is the one that pains me the most :joy:. As if suggesting there are some premium yoyos that somehow cannot handle all of the tricks that an intermediate reviewer is capable of.

4 Likes

the color is the most important quality

8 Likes