Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

Ceramic bearings are utter crap and would be a bad deal even if they weren’t 2× - 3× the price of metal bearings.

10 Likes

I’ve never tried one.
So I know you’re wrong

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think it’s really fair to judge if you don’t actually watch.

1 Like

Idk, I just don’t think competitions are my thing. I mean, I appreciate them and all the effort that goes into them, don’t get me wrong. Idk, I’m just not really interested in the competitions themselves. There’s too much to process, I don’t have the mental bandwidth to fully understand/appreciate what’s going on. I can process individual routines just fine most of the time, but I don’t think I could go to a worlds level competition and fully enjoy it.

I’m the same way with most other sports too though, so it isn’t just limited to the world of yo.

I actually have an issue with sensory overload associated with my ADHD, and I’m almost certain that this is why I just can’t get into comps. They’re just too intense for me

6 Likes

But the cool swishing sound though!

2 Likes

Oof… this one hit me hard. Gotta be more specific though… Full ceramic? Hybrid ceramic? And what type of ceramic? Silicon Nitride? Zirconia Oxide? Cageless?

What ceramics have going for them vs full metal is that they the can’t really rust, they’re smoother b/c they experience less friction. That leads to high speeds, longer spin times, less heat and distortion. They’re not affected by extreme ambient temperature, and will just have an overall longer life – especially if you’re not a fan of lubricating your metal bearings.

As a boutique fidget spinner enthusiast (yes, there are dozens of us!!! and no not the cheap plastic ones you’re thinking of), and someone who has spent far too much money on bearings, they definitely influence on the characteristics of a fidget spinner: the sound and feedback characteristics can all be dialed into your liking. And the r188 bearing is interchangeable with a Size C (except not concave) and I do swap them into my yo-yo’s from time to time and the differences can be quite interesting.

Hopefully this link will be allowed since technically it’s for fidget spinners, but you can see a pretty wide variety of bearings at : https://unquiethands.com/collections/bearings

5 Likes

When people associated with yo-yo brands make snarky comments on message boards it comes off as unprofessional and just isn’t a good look overall.

This may not be as unpopular an opinion as I think but I don’t see a lot of people that take issue with it.

10 Likes

I wonder who you’re talking about :thinking:

8 Likes

Depends if you have a sassy™ brand or not.

2 Likes

I assume me.

I can be a right snarkster at times.

This one really depends on the context for me.

However, I would expect people to protect their brand and use a critical tone when needed.

1 Like

Ano burns smell good, and all 100% poly strings suck. #nylongang #blendsareOKtoo

2 Likes

Not at all. I just see you as you, not as your brand. Not in a bad way though.

1 Like

I think being critical of someone who is spreading misinformation about your products can be done in a way that is still respectful and professional. That’s different from being sarcastic and condescending.

2 Likes

Beyond actual physical factors like speed, stability, material, bearing type, response, etc. yoyos don’t have “feel” or “soul”
You made that up in your head (maybe to justify emptying your wallet on your last purchase)
When most people say a yoyo doesn’t have “soul” it’s usually something cheap like a magicyoyo. Why do you think that’s the case?

2 Likes

False. Myy avocado has plenty of soul. It was 15 dollars.

2 Likes

I second this… I just bought the MagicYoyo Avocado for a measly $11.

In addition to soul, mine has charm, pluck, and the steely determination of Washington crossing the Delaware. How’s that for ambiguous, intangible yo-yo characteristics‽

But seriously, I think it would be an entertaining experiment to put yet unreleased, unbranded yo-yos into people’s hands without giving them any details about the manufacturer and ask them to guess the MSRP. I think our current notions of high-end and low-end would be largely blurred.

14 Likes

Sounds like Smiley’s Avocado has $4 more soul than yours.

11 Likes

Mine had discount soul. Ten bux.

2 Likes

I mostly agree with this. IMO yoyos do have different feels cause by different combinations of speed, stability, material, response, etc., but “soul”, or “lack of soul”, “boring”, “uninsteresting” are just dumb adjectives to give a thing that is composed by factors you can measure.

7 Likes