Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

I have a POM diffusion, which I do like more. It cost twice as much, so it certainly should be better. That being said, just because something may be better doesnt make it bad for me. I have no trouble at all with tilt or losing plane, very little vibe. Those are attributes I typically look for when I think stability. I could be wrong though, I’m no expert.

1 Like

Let’s be honest with each other – plastics just ain’t that great, period, no matter who makes them. A “boutique” plastic is kind of especially pointless. Fawning over “ooh, it’s an SF PLASTIC!” is just… lame IMO.

Delrin… on the other hand… can be pretty darn good!

9 Likes

Yeah, but SF isn’t a boutique yoyo brand.

It absolutely is, sir

3 Likes

Hmmm :thinking: This was in reply to @moby323, who asked:

I don’t think SF should be considered a boutique yoyo brand, but there’s no real quantitative definition for a boutique brand, so there’s definitely some room for personal interpretations.

1 Like

They do a reasonable job on pricing, for sure, but “boutique” means “almost always sells out of everything in a few hours” in my book. That is, they intentionally aren’t making enough to goose demand and appear desirable, like a fashion brand.

When your (core, not plastic concession) yo-yo stays in stock for more than a month, congrats, you’re no longer a boutique brand. Wake me up when that happens for SF.

4 Likes

I think some of their bimetals lasted almost a month in the YYE store before selling out, but I could be mistaken. Otherwise I agree. They don’t make enough yoyos to break free from the boutique label, but they are getting close.

1 Like

I understand where you’re coming from, but I think it’s important to also consider their international presence and their huge sponsored team they have compared to other “boutique brands”. Imo they’re in the middle of the brand hierarchy, not a boutique brand, but definitely not a big brand either.

The regular Diffusion isn’t twice as much but yeah it is more

1.75 times more

Plastic yoyos are awesome when:

• You don’t care about performance. (“It’s a really chill throw…blah blah blah…”)
  • You don’t want to spend a lot of money.
  • You don’t want to worry quite so much about damage (to yourself or the yoyo).
  • You want to challenge/frustrate yourself.
  • You want to indulge in nostalgia for the days of yore when plastic was king and metal was exotic and weird.
8 Likes

Here’s my crappy opinion:

This thread should be renamed “Show us how fussy you are!”

17 Likes

Im pretty much in agreement with this. At least for unresponsive play. My Sk8er has become one of my favorite responsive yoyos, and metal (even 6061) is too dense for ideal responsive feel imo. It IS delrin though…

3 Likes

Just call me fussypants.

6 Likes

Collecting and ‘owning things’ seems to be more important to a lot of the community than playing yoyo.

11 Likes

Delrin is worse than polycarbonate in every single way

9 Likes

It is more expensive, so it’s worse in that regard!

4 Likes

So funny.

Tell that to Gentry who won nationals with a Replay Pro. I also saw a world class Japanese competitor (I forget his name) do his entire ridiculously insanely complicated routine with YYR Gargantua.

It’s guys like you that only care about what they think top performing yoyos are, but likely can’t perform at the top that say things like that.

15 Likes

I’ve done it again haven’t I… Gotten all snarky.

Sorry again, @zslane.

11 Likes

Top players, including Gentry himself, agree that metals are just in general superior to plastic so I’m not sure what you’re getting at here.

Nobody is saying you can’t play at a high level with a plastic.

Obviously plastics, like the Replay, can still perform. Metals, like the Shutter, can just perform better.

You are taking what he is saying too seriously. I’m pretty sure you know what he meant.

2 Likes