Unauthorized Manufacturing of Side Effects

Is this allowed or do we need OD’s permission?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t do it.

6 Likes

For yourself, or any commercial purposes? There normally isn’t much restrictions for just making stuff for own use. As for the latter, the only correct answer is you should consult your own local legal adviser.

For making stuff for your own use, I am talking about literally milling it yourself. If you need to hire a manufacturer and have some form of exchange of money, then see the other answer.

4 Likes

I see it like aftermarket parts for vehicles. Side effects would be similar to rims on a car. As an example wheel manufactures do not need a OEM manufacturers permission to make wheels that fit a specific model same goes with oil filters and other parts. Where the problem would be is if you stated they are OD side effects, you would need to state they are custom side effects that fit OD or other models.

As long as you don’t claim they are by or endorsed by a specific manufacturer. There are many makers of hubstacks that fit various models, this would be no different.

Edit: I should add that things change if they have a patent on them.

7 Likes

@da5id and @The_Machinist could answer 100%. But I thought I heard that they don’t do a licensing fee on the side effects. If you design something to use them, you just have to buy them directly from them.

If you were to want to make them yourself I’m not sure that would be allowed. There was a Chinese company making a bootleg Summit years ago, with their own SE’s, and they just were not good. So it’s understandable why OneDrop would want to maintain the quality of them by machining them and not sourcing them out.

The other issue of making them on your own is whenever you decide to sell or trade, now they’re out in the world. You may have told whoever has it that they were made by you, but people forget. Then they trade it, that person trades it, etc. Somewhere down the line someone thinks they’re authentic One Drop SE’s, and if there is even the slightest issue with them guess who gets the blame, or a bad rep because of them.

In the end, it’s going to cost you way more in money and time than it would be to just buy a set of Side Effects. They are $12 new, $5-8 usually used. I don’t see any reason whatsoever to try to make your own :man_shrugging:

5 Likes
12 Likes

SE-enabled Dark Magic III confirmed

3 Likes