Twisted Stringz - Type D help please?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I need some help. I recently bought a pack of Type D Twisted Stringz and I am getting very frustrated with how they are performing. So far, I’ve tried these strings on two of my yoyos, my Shutter and my Chief with the same results.

They whip over WAY too fast during whip tricks, I’m missing a lot of slack tricks I normally hit 98% of the time with regular 100% poly, and they bind INCREDIBLY sloppy (as in they tangle up inside the gap or miss the bind completely and smack my yoyo on the floor). I’ve tried different responses in my Shutter (flowable silicone and CBC slim pads) with these strings as well with no difference in performance. ???

Am I missing something or doing something wrong here? Are these strings meant for a different style of play other than 1A? I’m just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with these strings or am I just being crazy? I’ve never gotten so frustrated with strings before and I am 2 seconds away from trashing the rest of them. They are very soft in the hands, but that’s about the only benefit I’m seeing from these strings. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Type D isa unique string. It’s a slicker, softer, and heavier string with a looser tension. It’s going to whip faster and bind differently than typical bulk poly.

What you’re experiencing makes sense and is pretty normal when switching up string types. There’s a learning curve and you just need to adjust to how the different string plays. You might find that after playing with it a bit more you really enjoy it or it’s just not the string for you. There’s plenty more string out there that may suit your play style better.

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful response Garrett. I am definitely more used to how bulk poly string plays, and this is the first time I’ve used a string like this. One other issue I didn’t mention is that the slip knot constantly slides/rotates around my throw hand finger during play. This is gets super annoying after a while because it starts to feel like the yoyo is going to fly off my finger because it gets so loose. >:(

I’ve been yoyoing since 2007 and this is by far the most frustrating string I’ve ever tried using. Anyways, it’s definitely not the string for me and I will just go back to what I’m used to. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Yeah, the slipknot moving around can happen with slicker string. There’s a few different knot tying techniques that people have shared before, but I don’t use any myself. If you search around the forums you might find something useful… or just wait for GregP to comment. :wink:

One partial solution to the slip knot slipping is to turn the string around on your finger so it tends to tighten in the predominant direction of your throw rather than loosen. I have found this same issue with slick 6/8 string. It’s a simple solution to try.

1 Like