turning yoyo

So I just replaced one siliconed side of my cut with a k-pad. The only issue is now it turns when I throw it now. Like it starts turning left for no apparent reason (not tilting). Do I need to tune the axel? or is there some other reason its doing this? Thanks for any help!

Did you have any kind of problem like that before? Sound’s like a throw issue, but the pad wouldn’t make that much of a change. Also, do you use a KK bearing, it kinda sounds like the string isn’t centered and pushing against the new pad, that will cause the yoyo to turn. And last question, does it do it when it’s sleeping, or while your doing tricks? If it’s while doing tricks, it’s just your string alignment, if it’s while sleeping, then it’s something else.

I’m using a KK and it turns while im doing tricks and when sleeping

Hmmm…turning while doing tricks is string alignment, like you hands aren’t exactly even. I notice mine does that when I am trying to learn new tricks. Not sure about turning while sleeping though. Is your throw nice and straight? The KK should keep string from rubbing sides to much, unless its a crooked throw.

It might be that you are putting more pressure on one side of the yoyo than the other. Also, make sure the pad is the right size.

Usually I would say not to worry about this too much. The yoyo is going through something called “precession” This is where the yoyo naturally turns when it spins. Look here for more info:

However, because you have two different types of response, I highly suggest that you try having the same response in both sides and see if the problem persists.

Nice find Samad, I’ve never seen that vid. I like it :slight_smile:

ah ok im not worried anymore thanks samad

I’m glad you’re happy with the help you got, but I’d like to add just a couple more things.

Obviously, a strong, straight, and accurate throw does a good deal for reducing gyroscopic precession. A KonKave bearing substantially reduces it as well. If a KK isn’t in your future, double (or even triple) wrapping your string helps a bit, too. The extra surface area created by the added wraps tend to act as a “flat surface” and cut down GP.

You can never eliminate it entirely. A good throw with a KK bearing can make it all but unnoticeable, though.

Idle Speculation: I’ve played, from time to time, certain types of yo-yo that I could almost swear were designed (at least partially) to completely eliminate GP, or reduce it to non-measurable levels. Without getting too technical, I know a fair amount on what it would take to attempt this sort of engineering, and the physics behind it, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen attempts employed. It’s obviously not the sole intention behind the design, but it’s almost certainly an afterthought.

The Catch 22 comes immediately to mind.

And I’m fairly sure I’ve seen a couple other takes on it. Heck, I’d like to see one or more of the big dogs in the game attempt counter-rotational halves. ;D