Turning a Freehand One/Butterfly XT unresponsive?

Question for y’all!

How do i turn a freehand unresponsive? Im interested in experimenting on my freehand one and also on my Butterfly XT, but not sure how to go about it.

Not sure if its worth the effort or not, nor what would go into it.

For the butterfly, you’ll need to make sure the bearing seat is clean and lube free, and then you could try very thin string. You could replace the half spec bearing with a full sized C bearing, but you might need to replace the bolt with a slightly longer one.

Mod spacers and weight rings for the butterfly xt if you want to keep stock Duncan parts. For the freehand, I’m assuming you’re referring to the new fh1. Duncan sells a konkave kit with different spacers. You could also try an a size centertrac bearing.

1 Like

I thought the xt used a full-size bearing

I haven’t looked at my kids butterfly xts recently, but I’m pretty sure it’s half spec.

For the FH One, cleaning the bearing and taking out one of the response pads will make it completely unresponsive. You may not even need to take out a response pad tbh. No need to spend money on more parts.

I’m unsure about the old translucent butterfly XTs but the newer solid colored ones all use full size C bearings that just sit kinda deep.

Just put a concave bearing in one and it’ll be pretty unresponsive. You could shim the gap if you want a wider gap, but you’re still gonna have to live with the starburst unless you put it on a lathe (or drill) and mod in a silicone groove where the starburst is. XTs with centering bearings are really fun.

For a Freehand One just clean the bearing and get some flowable silicone and replace the pads with recessed silicone.

Removing one of the pads is also an option too, but I don’t think single pad FH1 feels as good to play. With normal thickness string and a clean bearing I feel like the FH1 is plenty unresponsive though, and if you want it more unresponsive than that, then you’re maybe better just buying a C bearing Freehand One.

1 Like