Trying to build a rig

What do you think about ? I haven’t try it yet.

13 Likes

looks creative, ive never seen anything like this so idk how it works lol but I would like to see it in action

1 Like

4 Likes

6 Likes

ok now thats sick

2 Likes

First issue :

2 Likes

Second issue :

Like a cast puzzle to enter in the hook

2 Likes

Making string is a dangerous activity.
Lol.

4 Likes

for the first issue you could but a piece of cardboard into a circle then cut a smaller hole into the center like a donut, then fit the dowel into the donut and slide it up against the spool.
Edit: make sure the smaller hole is a tight fit onto the dowel or it won’t work properly.

3 Likes

Then… First string using the rig.
Without any measure… string is as long as me. And a bit too much tension.

8 Likes

aye that looks clean

3 Likes

I’ve had that issue a lot as well. I put washers underneath my cones to help somewhat, but what you really need is something to tension the string between the cone and where they all come together so it doesn’t slack and fall down off the cone like that. You also need something to keep the cone from spinning freely and releasing that tension.

I use very small eyelets and hooks in my rig to help keep them easy to hook together and out of the way.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advise.

Could you send me a pic of your system that i could imagine something else.

1 Like

My spool holder is a hand held trident, I mostly manage the tension by hand. not 100% effective though.

The rig folds up for storage.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Actually thinking about 2 way to resolve the issue.

1: add a cardboard that push on the cone.

Or

2: put the cone horizontally.

3 Likes

horizontally is the better option, there is less friction pulling the string, and it is practically silent

If you can reconfigure your bail to feed the thread from the top of the spools there’s an easier way:

You can get thread socks from Amazon or your local fabric store. It’s important that the thread comes directly off the end though, so you’d probably need to add a second bail over the back row of spools.

3 Likes

Thank. Very good idea !

1 Like

Here a little update of the rig

Now i have to find some gear and a way to pretwist all thread at the same time.

7 Likes

pretwist?

2 Likes