Made my first string!

Well, my first and second, but my first is shown below:

Tossed it on an inexpensive, responsive V3 (just in case things went sour)

The first attempt wasn’t bad, but my 2nd attempt was MUCH better. Polyester string, 7 passes.

I’m tweaking my rig as I go.

22 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes

It’s fun isn’t it? I tried my hand at it but the thread I used ended up being pretty course. I think it’s really about finding the right blend and how much tension you build into it.

Sounds like to you may have chosen well. What do you mean by 7 passes?

1 Like

7 laps around the rig before twisting. The thread I got feels pretty smooth, though I’d love to play with a cotton blend, and also try nylon.

1 Like

I like your street-ware too! I’ll pick something up when I rebuild the budget!

2 Likes

Rad!

Looks awesome!

1 Like

Solid work

1 Like

So I’ve made some updates to my rig, and can consistently knockout string. My next step is to try to set it up to create multiple strings at once, and to start pre-measuring thread so I can just toss it on instead of walking back and forth with the spool each time.

Who knew making string would be so relaxing?

5 Likes

Check this multi-string rig out. Quick yoyo string rig run - YouTube

It avoids the extra walking by having more spools of thread.

3 Likes

Nicely done!!

So this video has helped me out TREMENDOUSLY with my own rig. Two simple tweaks make it so I went from making 1 out of 3 “good” strings to “great” strings every time, and in half the time!

My end goal will be to set up something with multiple motors as he did in the video, but my single-string rig is doing amazing now!

Here are three colors I’ve made that I’m happy with. I’ve got a bunch that I’m not really digging.

I’ve just ordered some nylon an rayon to test those out for strings!

7 Likes