True “two tone” or bi-color strings or twist strings?

I got this string as a pack in bonus with a BST purchase somewhere, I forget where, but I got around to trying it finally and I am glad I did, as it is kinda unique:

Most multicolor string is a bunch of individual strands of different colors twisted together. This one is different. It looks like half the string (by length) was dipped into a different dye color so the two primary twists are all different colors!

You can see this clearly at the bottom where the loop is, the entire string abruptly and completely changes from yellow to orange. So cool.

Looks like this is a “lifeline” string, I was not familiar with their work but checking their website I don’t see any other examples of this technique, I only see the standard multicolor strand twists.

This one is called “carnival fry” per the label on it and I got a pack of three.

3 Likes

It’s called a twist. Look at the very last section of my string making mega thread. You’ll have to follow the rabbit trail

3 Likes

Gotta be rare! Of all the strings I’ve had, only seen this technique in action once.

Pic of the loop where the action is

Aha, I see, it wasn’t a dye dipping job, it’s two strings tied together, you can see in the above picture! I wonder why we don’t see this more?

3 Likes

I believe this came up back in Oct.

2 Likes

Two strings twisted together. Two colors looped end to end, then twisted like normal.

It is labor intensive. Did you follow the link trail all the way to the actual tutorial?

3 Likes

I thought it was interesting that I went to their website which has MANY things on offer, and I could not find a single other place where they were currently selling “twist” string of any type whatsoever :thinking:

1 Like

:man_shrugging: I don’t know? They are pretty time consuming to make.

1 Like

This is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

Note to self get my editing done.

1 Like

You can email them to create custom orders. But it’s true - making two-tone twists is pretty time consuming compared to normal blends of colors. I’ve made a handful but it’s not worth the time, usually.

3 Likes

They sound very artisanal. What do you think you would have to charge for them to be worth the time they take to make?

2 Likes

Part of the process for normal strings that makes them relatively fast is that I can lay out all of the loose threads quickly on my string rig to prepare 5 strings at a time. This isn’t possible with the twists because you need to loop threads around each other in addition to around the hooks, and you can’t do that with a bulky “spool holder” like the one I have.

It might be helpful to read about my entire process:

I’m not really sure how to make the two-color process faster - I’d definitely need more center hooks (to do multiples in one go) but I’d also need a more sophisticated way of laying out the threads pre-spinning. That’s the most time consuming step by far. Color fades are even worse.

3 Likes

Depends on a couple of variables. In the perfect situation, the thread being used will be available in the colors you want. If they aren’t available, then you’ll have to dye your own thread.

But in a perfect situation, I’d estimate about $10 for 4 [maybe 5] strings. And that’s cutting a very tiny profit.

Also, for the best results, these either have to be pure nylon or pure poly. Blends don’t work very well with this method.

1 Like

I wonder if there is much of a market for such strings at, say, $15 for a pack of 5. Sure, that sounds hella expensive, but we’re talking specialty strings for people who just love that sort of thing and are willing to spend the money on it.

1 Like

Spoolthread use to make them almost exclusively. They [he] went out of business though because he was only barely breaking even on materials and it wasn’t worth the effort in the long run. He got really sick and tired of entitled ‘customers’ blowing up his inbox demanding to know his every move; and trying to buy him out of stock before he even had a chance to do a legitimate drop making it fair for everyone who wanted to attempt his drops.

That is part of the territory for any niche market though. Look at g2 for example. His drops sell out almost instantly, and he gets all kinds of messages from people inquiring about special treatment. The difference with him though, is that he makes a decent profit for his efforts. Not anything he could support his family on, but enough to make his efforts worthwhile.

But if we’re just talking custom work for only a couple of people on the low who are willing to pay, that’s something that sounds doable. Pm me if you want to talk more.

Also, @MarkD if you want to get in on this conversation, don’t be shy.

3 Likes

But economics being what they are, if the strings are priced high enough, the pool of potential buyers shrinks to a point where you don’t have to worry about running out of stock instantly, or not making enough profit, etc. I mean, ultimately, it sounds like it’s just a matter of finding the right price, given the factors involved.

1 Like

Yeah he should have just charged more… maybe a lot more.

There’s some weird thing going on with people where they don’t want to charge what they consider to be “too much money” so they end up undercharging and sabotaging their entire business. Seen this multiple times in yo-yo businesses that went under or failed.

To heck with that. JUST CHARGE MORE. :heavy_dollar_sign::money_mouth_face::heavy_dollar_sign:

3 Likes