Trompos Jupiter question

I have been looking at get into spin tops and was l planning on getting a 1 fixed tip and 1 bearing tip.

I have been looking at the trompos space sl Jupiter and the trompos space sl Pegasus, just not sure if I need the adjustable center of gravity that is on the jupiter.

Is it worth it or just make things more difficult with the adjustment.

2 Likes

The Pegasus is a nice top, good size and weight and it’s a good wire walker.
I don’t have a Jupiter, but I think it is similar to the fixed tip Neptuno, which I do have. I think it’s safe to say it’s going to be a good design.
The Neptuno is a fairly substantial top. If you haven’t learned to throw a boomerang, it can be a little daunting, and depending on where you throw, it can do serious damage.
A good spin on a heavier top can wreak havoc on furniture, appliances, skin… on the other hand, you get a stronger more stable spin with it when you do it right.
So, if you have a good place to throw and you plan on sticking with it until you get it, you would probably like those tops. I don’t do much bearing stuff and I can’t think of a bearing top similar to the Jupiter that I would suggest over that. I am not a huge fan of the elec trick YYF top and I don’t really like Spintastics trompos grande, although lots of folks love them.
The close circuit is a solid little fixed tip that is inexpensive and indestructible and easy to throw, but it is a bit small and squat to handle when you start doing various string tricks.
Anyways, get it and let me know if you like it because I want one too.
Also, don’t get too frustrated before you reach out. Not a ton of spin top love here, but there are some really good players that weigh in sometimes, and you can join ta0’s forum at itopspin.com .

2 Likes

I think the big difference between the two is the balance adjustment inside, not sure if it would help or hurt starting out

How well does the cap in the first picture stay on compared to the one below

I have both and the Neptuno as well. The Neptuno is nicer than the Jupiter in my opinion. But the Jupiter is still nice. I’ve had Pegasus fixed and bearing tip and found the Pegasus much nicer as a fixed tip. It’s 10+ grams lighter than the Jupiter and doesn’t have nearly the spin time. The Roller Pegasus is also a single bearing while the Jupiter and Neptuno are both dual bearings. This has a big impact on spin time with the nod going to the dual bearing. The Neptuno is about 10 grams heavier than the Jupiter and it just feels much nicer. I have not tried the Jupiter in fixed tip but the extra weight and greater diameter would seem to indicate that it would perform better than the Pegasus. All are good solid choices but if you are likely to sling the top across the room while learning to throw, the YYF Short Circuit is only $6 and built like a tank so it’s great to learn your throw on. Once you’re good throwing that, you’ll have no trouble throwing the nicer ones. But when you’re learning it gets tense when your not so affordable tops go flying across the room. :grin:
Hope this helps you make your choice.

2 Likes

The cap on the Jupiter screws into the bearing tower inside the top and is very secure. I’ve not been able to notice any advantage or disadvantage of the adjustable weight in the Jupiter. The difference will be weight and size and the affect they have on spin time and stability.

3 Likes

Ok now I have to get these bearing tops. Thanks guys.
That’s all good info above, and I agree the adjustable weight won’t be something you will be tangling with. If you decide all you want to do is practice how many wraps you can do with the corkscrew trick, you can fine tune the top to suit the trick with that adjustable weight.
I think the major difference with fixed tip tops is going to be evident when you get into more advanced play, if you like tricks where you do a lot of grinding or wire walking you may like a lighter top, when you want to learn to do regens, a larger, heavier top makes it easier.

2 Likes

The big difference in fixed as opposed to bearing tips in tops is spin time. Identical tops will spin longer (possibly quite a bit) with a bearing tip. The issue is some tricks (like wire walker) will not work with a bearing tip. If you attempt wire walker with a bearing tip you get gyroscopic flop instead. So there are some tricks that require a fixed tip to perform. I’m pretty sure regenerations require a fixed tip too.

2 Likes

Sorry I was wrong about the weight. I weighed them all. The Jupiter and Neptuno are both 65grams. The Pegasus is 48 grams and the Short Circuit is 51 grams. :grin:

1 Like

Regen does indeed require fixed tip.

Electrick is a really good bearing yoyo.

1 Like

I really like my Elec Trik too. I bought the upgrade kit and made mine metal tip.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input, this has been very helpful.

I was wondering what is inside the Neptuno, is it a weight system like the Jupiter? Could someone please take a picture of it.

Not sure I’m ready to jump into a metal body top quite yet.

Currently my plan is to get a Jupiter in both fixed and bearing as well as a short circuit. But plans can always change

The Neptuno has the same threaded rod as the Jupiter and screws into the base but there’s no added weight. The one from the Jupiter will fit in the Neptuno though. I tried it. I’ll get a pic tomorrow.

1 Like

Here are the pictures of the Neptuno along with a few tips I’ve discovered. Here’s the insides.

When assembling the easiest way to install the rubber ring may not be obvious to all but here’s the trick. Screw the cap on almost all the way but leave a little loose. Lay it down on the cap with the tip up. Place the ring over the tip and roll it down and into place. The shape of the top naturally stretches the ring.

Also a point on balancing. Pay attention to the marker on the body and the “gauge” on the cap.

If you notice the raised markings on the cap. Believe it or not, this extra plastic adds weight and affects balance. Start with the arrow on the cap lined up with the arrow on the body. With the top spinning in your hand feel for vibe. If there’s vibration, loosen the tip enough to rotate the cap 1/8th of a turn and repeat. Do this until you get the smoothest spin. I have 2 Neptuno and was able to get both ridiculously smooth by this method. Initially the tip may be pressed in tight enough to seem like it won’t turn but it is removable. Once removed it’s easier to loosen the tip than it is to loosen by the cap as the rubber ring grabs and is just troublesome. The last pic will show the position where this one is super balanced.

4 Likes

I was thinking it attached the same. So the Neptuno weighs the same as the Jupiter w/the weight, I guess the metal body makes up the difference.

Howard

Thanks for the pictures and the tips. I know a bit about balancing, I work for a company that builds balancing machines for the automotive, medical, aerospace industry and some military applications so what you are discribing makes perfect sense.

Is the blue cap metal or plastic? Is that the fixed or roller bearing version?

1 Like

Yes that’s correct. A while back all of the Neptuno were out of stock so I broke down and got a Mercurio. It is not as nice if anyone ever wondered. It weighs in at 55 grams, 10 less than Nep and Jup. It’s thinner metal and the shape is taller and more narrow. It doesn’t have the same quality feel of the others. Just putting that out there if others were wondering.

1 Like

The caps are plastic. I did toy with the idea of going to the machine shop of a local vocational school to see if they could turn an aluminum cap for me. I imagine that an actual machine shop would charge more than the top costs to make a cap, but most vocational schools will work for the cost of materials. Also these are the bearing tip. I also have a fixed tip Neptuno. I wondered if the tips were interchangeable but they are not. The body and the tip are machined differently.

2 Likes

So here is the damage I’ve done. I just ordered 2 Jupiters - 1 fixed and 1 roller, 2 Neptunos - 1 fixed and 1 roller and 1 Short circuit. I think with all that I should be more than covered.

Where is the best place to see tutorial videos, basic string winding and on from there?

1 Like

That’s a nice haul there. If you’re not happy with that then maybe something is wrong with you…:crazy_face::rofl:
Really good tutorial videos compiled in one place are hard to find. Trompos Space has some pretty good videos but the written instructions are in Spanish. The videos however are well exaggerated and focused on the motions necessary as well as slo mo playbacks from multiple angles. Here is a link. And of course you can feel free to ask anyone here. We’re all learning together.

1 Like

Poke around through this forum too. There are some interesting things on YouTube, and some nonsense.

The tops you ordered all come with rings you can use to simplify winding. With the top in your left hand and the tip pointing towards your right, secure the string with your left thumb and start the wrap over the top. Keep good tension on the string and make sure the wrap is even the whole way, if you get an overlap, you need to start over.

1 Like