Jupiter roller adjustable weight

I am new. I bought a “jupiter roller bearing space” top. Inside there is a weight that screws up and down. Can someone explain what to do with this weight? I am not feeling any difference, but am sure i am not good enough to know yet.

2 Likes

G’day,

This raises/lowers the centre of gravity, affecting the rate of precession (the amount of movement of the top relative to the bottom when the bottom is stationary).

Set it to the height you think makes things easier to practise, then adjust for the tricks that are wildly difficult to control.

Ok, i knew it was center of gravity,what situation would need it run at the top, and what situation would call for it to be lowered?

I was absent that day in science class, but I think that the lower the weight the more stable the spin. So if you wanted to do a trick like corkscrew where you wanted the top to stay vertical, that would be desirable. If you wanted to change the orientation like with gyroscopic flop, you would get a quicker response with the weight higher. Most of the tops described as acrobatic tops have a higher cg.
If that is backwards, just switch ends accordingly.

1 Like

I can’t remember which way it goes, this might be backwards.

I think down for a free moving plane of rotation, when it needs to flip. And then up for a more stable plane of rotation, for holding sideways tricks.

Over time you’ll find what’s best for the tricks you like and how you like to start. Drop starts look coolest, but I get most power and balance from a forward pass (beygoma style) on to the ground and then pick it up.

1 Like

That may be correct, I put the weight in the middle and forget about it, but I almost never mess with bearing tops.
This Spintastics Hornet has a high cg and it is very stable for horizontal play.

2 Likes

Oh, and welcome to the community. Spin tops are the future, don’t be misled.

1 Like