trinity vs H3X vs phenom

The IZM not to get confused with the Phenom…

The PhenomIZM is Plastic, with Metal Rings, Metal solid spin.

Just like Studio42 said…

All these crazy questions, Get a YYF Shutter and be happy :).

I own a dark magicII and want to try somthing diffrent so is the H3X alot like the dark magic ???

Yes and no, but mostly no.

The DM2 and the H3X share a SIMILAR shape, which for lack of a better term, I call a D-shape. However, where-as the Trinity is essentially a metal DM2(well, mostly), the H3X deviates significantly.

Using more of that D-shape, the H3X has a raised area near the response recess, which was designed to allow for this shape to be used for horizontal play. The grind rings help reduce friction on the string for horizontal play as well as for finger grinds.

The inner cup of the rims are totally re-designed to handle IRG’s and finger spin/gyro type grinds. The weight distribution is altered as well, being a bit more towards the middle(but leaning towards the outside), where-as the DM2 has most of it’s weight focused on the outer rims with the aluminum rims bearing nearly all the weight of the yoyo.

If you really follow the progress, you can see that while the DM2 clearly was where a Trinity came from, you can also see that the DM2 had influence in the H3X, but that was about it. The H3X is a major evolution from the DM2. While the DM2, due to it’s shape, has fallen out of favor with the competition community, it’s still a fantastic yoyo. The H3X feels like it could be anything you want it to be, be it your daily carry, your casual throw or your stage/competition set.

But, the price? $120 or so? A bit expensive? Perhaps. I find it to be priced right. It’s well worth it.

Keep in mind, I have all three models(4 or 5) you’ve inquired about:
Phenom, Phenomizm, Trinity, H3X and DM2. I also own most of the ones that have been suggested, including the Shutter(of which I just got a second one, a gold blasted one, via a local retailer that gives me 25% off).

Value is a perceived number based. The makers have to establish some sort of guideline price. Retailers have to set a price as well. People have to buy it. Preferences will say if they made a good buy or not.

Not to detour, and I don’t want to name models, but if I don’t like a yoyo, it’s not even worth it’s melt value as recyclable material. However, if I like it, I can evaluate where it should be priced. YYJ’s seem to be priced about right. YYF’s, at least some of them these days, seem to be under-priced for how they perform, with the Shutter and 2013 SuperStar being a couple of examples. The new Roll Model is a challenging yoyo for me, and I’m not quite sure if it’s over priced, under-priced or properly priced. The Equilateral I feel even at what I paid for it, is still under-priced and is my most favorite YYF to date.

With YYJ, I have found their prices to really match price to performance. I feel I’m paying exactly what I should be for it, yet still feeling that I’m getting great value.

1 Like

If I put a konkave bearing into the chaser would it have almost as good performance as the phenomizm or meteor ???

Absolutely NOT.

Well, let me clarify. I tried every type of bearing in the Chaser. In the end, I ended up going back to the stock bearing and found for me, that was the best configuration. Yes, I tried KK’s, CenterTracs, Crucial Grooved, Trifectas and One Drop 10 Balls. I didn’t have any Buddha bearings or BOSS bearings at the time.

At any rate, the Chaser is a drastically different design than the Meteor(which I found I like much better with a KK) and the Phenomizm. The Chaser is rather interesting from the position that despite being nearly 74 grams, it doesn’t play it’s weight, it plays very light, fast and speedy for it’s shape, weight and size. For a plastic, it’s really a beast because it plays so good. Yeah, it’s like YYJ’s answer to the Protostar(until the Trigger came out). This is another plastic that competes with metals costing 2-4 times the price!

If you wish to mess around with bearings, my advise is in favor of doing so. Really, you need to find out what you like best. Whatever that is, that’s what you should go with. Just because I didn’t care for anything other than a flat bearing in my Chaser doesn’t mean that’s “the proper configuration”. After my testing, I liked the stock flat bearing best. I advise you do your own testing and find out what you like. Whatever you like best, that’s your winning combination.

The best way to improve the performance of any yoyo is to play it a lot and improve your skills. People are doing amazing things with low cost yoyos such as the Classic, PSG, Speedaholic, Surge and more. It’s the player more than the yoyo. Every yoyo is unique and different.

I’ve got both the Phenom and Phenomizm, and like them both equally. Got my Phenomizm on eBay for $25!

Get a Hex. It seems to go with all your questions…

If you dont want to spend a bunch, a Shutter is the best deal for $44.

There is a Phenom on eBay for $40 but I am worried that it might be stripped or the bearing is stuck so I think I will wait till Xmas because yoyoexpert has some deals then right ???

Wait and see for Black Friday and CyberMonday.

Seriously, based on your inquiries, the H3X is the better fit for you. I’m planning to get a second H3X in the not too distant future.

In the meantime:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/861473_274370302693083_577048940_o.jpghttp://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/859058_274370156026431_1959087910_o.jpg

Vs:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/901530_296100607186719_1706780449_o.jpghttp://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/882937_296100633853383_614244992_o.jpg

Keep in mind the Phenom ships with a KK and the H3X with a YYJ Speed bearing. I feel the H3X plays best with a flat, while I can’t imagine anything other than a KK bearing in the Phenom.

Sorry about the strings. My trend right now is “no strings” when photographing.

1 Like

Are those your hex and Phenom? Also if you put a konkave bearing in a hex what would hapen

Yes, my H3X and the two Phenoms I have. I only share pictures of stuff I have so nobody can whine about copyright/intellectual property issues. I took the pictures, so all issues are moot.

The only way to find out what will happen if you put a KK in an H3X is to put it in and see how you like it. I did, I didn’t care for it. Nothing wrong with the yoyo or the bearing, I personally didn’t care for that combination. However, if you do, the string will stay centered. It’s just a matter of preferences. It’s not like “if you put a KK in a H3X, it’s like dividing by zero and you could cause a rift in the space-time continuum and the galaxy will be be absorbed by a black hole”. I mean, it’s just a bearing. Worse case is you try something and you decide “you know, that just really isn’t working well for me”.

I currently have a Terrapin X wing cut ceramic 10-ball in there. I find the gentle string centering it does works extremely well for me in this yoyo. I just felt that for me, the stock YYJ Speed Bearing just didn’t really give me what I was looking for. The stock YYJ Speed Bearing(which I cleaned and treated and is playing amazing) just kinda played with a “thunk” at the end of the string to me. Switching the bearing took that away for me.

When it comes to bearings, I recommend experimentation. I’m NOT anti-KK. I found I prefer the Speeder 2 and Meteor with a KK in them. The Chaser worked best for me with the stock YYJ Speed bearing in the package. I prefer Terrapin X wing cuts in my DM2’s. I put CenterTracs in my Shutters. My Burnsides have Trifectas. My Triggers have some Buddha bearing in them.

It’s irrelevant what I like. What’s relevant is what YOU discover you like best. What you like the best is the only thing that matters.

Some people will argue “you don’t need any shaped or gimmick bearings, flats are all you need”. Well, I don’t subscribe to that type of logic, despite the fact it does have merit. Some people standardize on a single bearing(whenever possible). We have available different bearings. Why not try some of them and see what you like?

1 Like

Thanks

go phenom! the H3x is to slow

1 Like

I also want a few other throws like the avalanch prodogy how do they compare to the H3X and the Phenom

You can’t compare every yoyo. They’re all different and yet they’re all the same. Very few of them will prevent you from growing as a yoyoer or progressing in your skill development.

Since you have an interest in so many different and good yoyos (this is a good thing, IMO!) I say start with the one that appeals to you the most right now, and go from there. You’ll certainly be adding more yoyos to your collection over time. :wink:

1 Like

If I am going to get the phenom is there a yoyo alot like the Phenom made by hiroyuki but not as much as the Phenom in cost and I would want it to play fast.thanks

Check out the PHENOMizm. It is a plastic/metal hybrid version of the PHENOM, and it’s only about half the cost of the PHENOM.

1 Like

Consider the Angle by sOMEThING, as well as the Firmy(if you want super-affordable, but it’s not as good). Other options would be the YYF Equilateral if you can find one.

The Speeder 2 is nice, really nice, but get a KK in there, trust me, you’ll thank me later.

The Phenomizm is basically a plastic version of the Phenom at half the cost. The Phenom does play better though.

Trust me, the money spent on a Phenom is money well spent. At the same point, money spent on the H3X is ALSO money well spent. They both out-perform their retail price.

1 Like

I’m selling that phenom! There’s nothing wrong with it! It plays superb!

Any modern YoYo can be good at slack, but the Phenom is designed for really fast technical and horizontal tricks. H3X is more laid back.