Trick/Combo w/ Every Throw

You got a lot in the arsenal, I on the other hand didn’t quite think this one out when I said trick a day lmao. I always get ready to go film and then im like wait what should I even do? Anyways dope as always!

1 Like

Today I promised I’d make a little vid showing @YoYoMa1 that little flashy bind-thing I do at the end of stuff, so here ya go bro! I finally found a decent spot with good lighting, now to clean my room and make it more professional looking lmao.

Yoyo used is the Duncan Grasshopper GTX. Arguably my favorite throw as of right now, it’s very close. Love everything about it. Size, shape, weight distribution, all of it. It plays like a tank (I mean that in a good way, not a “rock” or too heavy, but a powerful tank), yet it still has unique nimbleness/floatiness on the string. Spins forever like forever. I don’t think there’s anything this throw can’t handle unless you’re trying to go Godspeed which this yoyo isn’t made for. If I absolutely had to nit pick, I’d make it a 7075 instead of a 6061. But that’s just personal taste at that point.

6 Likes

I was really hoping more people would get in on this thread. I think there’s a lot of people like me who have massive trick libraries but never post tricks. I feel like I could do a 365 yoyo tricks style thing where I post a different trick every day for an entire year, despite me having posted a single digit number of tricks on the forums prior to this.

I think it helps to divorce tricks and combos for something like this though. I know I just posted a speed combo to break out of my daily tech trick posting, but my entire post could’ve just been the hidemasa hook at the end of my combo. It could’ve been anything really. Any trick is enough to be worthy of a post as long as it’s something you’re happy with. I heavily subscribe to Tom Kuhn’s ideology in regard to tricks.

7 Likes

This is cool! Yeah I hope more people join, I literally never filmed my stuff or anything before this, I probably did a couple times when I was like 14 but that’s it. So if anyone wants to but isn’t sure about it or something just remember; you don’t have to show your face, crop it out if you want. You don’t need to be a pro or a master photographer, long as we can see the trick and the string you’re golden. It’s all for fun, I don’t care if all you can do is walk the dog and rock the baby, I’d still love to see that and your collection!

In fact if someone came and posted a rock the baby randomly it would make my day/make me laugh. Or better yet the trick “spaghetti”

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I just landed it

2 Likes

No problem at all! It’s actually really cool teaching someone something you kinda came up with yourself

2 Likes

I’m tired but here is my next trick with every yoyo
It’s with the Edge Beyond. It’s a really good, I like it a lot.

5 Likes

Bro you took that bind and made an even better variation of it that’s so tight! I have a 2/10 horizontal game but maybe I’ll try something like that for my next vid and see how it goes haha

I did exactly the same bind as you :laughing: and thanks again for making the tutorial video

1 Like

Went for a harder trick today to follow up the zontal. Took long enough to land that I was content with this take, even though it’s really sloppy + I forgot how to bind at the end lol. I’m not sure if this is a weird habit, but whenever I do a bind that I think looks ugly or I just didn’t like, I’ll immediately do another throw straight into a bind just to remind myself “Okay, I do know how to bind.”

Using the Hydrangea Magnolia, my new favorite yoyo. I got one and I love pretty much everything about it, but it’s also a yoyo I’d never recommend to anybody else. If you look at the design and specs and go “Oh wow, that’s everything I like in a yoyo.” it’s going to be your new favorite yoyo too. If it just looks cool but you’re not really into the design, the price (and vibe if you care about that) will probably make it a massive disappointment. You just have to know yourself if it’s exactly what you’re looking for, it’s not something you’ll be content with if you just get one because other people love it.

Maybe I just said a lot of nothing/extremely obvious stuff, but I think it really rings true. This yoyo floored me when I got it and it’s just all I want to play, it’s my ideal yoyo. It feels like it’s just encouraging me to throw more, play for longer on a single throw, explore new mounts and transitions. It’s a yoyo that’s just got me constantly excited to use it more. It feels perfect on the string and in the hand. Despite me saying that, I feel like the main thing I hear from other players in the western yoyo community is just “it’s overpriced, it’s fine but not worth the price, they vibe out of the box.” So yeah if you’re just getting this as “just another yoyo” or building it up to be some amazing yoyo with a special unique feeling, it’s going to be a letdown.

10 Likes

Okay you’re right it definitely just looked weird from my view seeing it right handed. :rofl: I swear you add a little flair to the actual bind though, like the toss under your throw hand looked different/cooler than mine if that makes sense

1 Like

All of your stuff has been impressive but this one is just hella nasty. :nauseated_face: “Sloppy” or not that ain’t easy to pull off or hit on camera. I know we literally just talked about tricks and were saying it doesn’t matter where you’re at or what you know, but you motivate me to get better and learn more stuff in a good way haha. I see this and I’m like sheeesh step your game up Austin

2 Likes

First vid and trick today is basic looping. Looping has always been an afterthought for me because I’ve never been able to get it down. And the truth with that is is that I’ve never applied myself. Yo-yoing kinda came natural to me when I first picked one up and started actually learning stuff years ago (this is a not a flex, I still suck lol) so when I couldn’t just pick up a yo-yo and loop I was immediately disinterested with that style. Well no more! Proud to say I can at least do some forward loops now! Gotta a little pumped at the end sorry lmao.

Yoyo used is a Yomega Fireball. It is my favorite yoyo of all time, bar none. Why? Because without ever one day picking up my best friend’s dads glow in the dark fireball and us playing it for hours that day, I wouldn’t be here posting on this forum or even know what yo-yos are all about.

5 Likes

Wow very nice combo
I appreciate how you’re regularly uploading trick videos. It’s motivating me to keep going and to learn new tricks myself.
I’m surprised you own a yoyo from Hydrangea. I heard of this brand because many asian 5A players use their models but for me they are too expensive also their website is in Japanese.

1 Like

Yea finally some looping in this thread! Let’s go
I’m not uploading a video today btw

3 Likes

It’s amazing what applying yourself for a half hour can do. :rofl: And no worries my man I understand! Sometimes that little thing called life gets in the way and comes first. I’m gonna try and land my little slackicide combo on camera later so I’ll post another in your place :handshake:

Skills

1 Like

Zero regrets with them, I hesitated a very long time with them because of the price, but I’m so glad I took the chance on them. Best use of money I’ve put into yoyos. Japan Technology is my favorite brand, and Hydrangea kinda seems like they have similar goals in regard to yoyo design. Strange alloys, trying to use math/statistics to determine specs, and really trying to innovate with new yoyo manufacturing techniques.

The Laurus (Hideo Ishida’s signature) is a bimetal that doesn’t have press fit rings. Instead the aluminum and steel are both turned as a single piece, so the steel rims won’t dislodge from 5A drops. Their latest steel monometal designs have been trying to both optimize weight distribution and minimize vibe by changing the entire design of the bearing seat. The bearing seat has grooves that the inner and outer section of the bearing need to both lock into, instead of having the inner section of the bearing fit onto the typical post of the yoyo, if what I’m describing even makes sense lol. The bearing needs to be an incredibly specific size for this to work, so the steel yoyos using this design only support NSK bearings lol. I both love and hate this, only supporting NSKs is annoying, but I think it’s really cool that they’re trying something new.

Basically I just respect them a lot for pushing for new manufacturing/design techniques, making yoyos I personally like a lot, and the players they sponsor are awesome. Quercus and Magnolia are two of the biggest standouts in my collection.

6 Likes

What is the difference between the two?

1 Like

Quercus is a monometal interpretation of the Laurus. Magnolia is an evolution of the Quercus that dropped the shared traits of the Laurus and Quercus to just fully be its own yoyo.

Magnolia is ~3g heavier and all of the extra weight is in the rims, you can see how much thicker the Magnolia’s rims are. The Quercus is made out of A300 and the Magnolia is made out of ANB79, both of which are stronger than 7068 and 7075. My understanding is that ANB79 is similar to A300 except heated/cured in a way that removes impurities and creates a more even alloy, which in turn makes it even stronger. I can’t explain it more or I’d just be giving you junk science, I know nothing about actual material science and specifically metals lol. This is just what I gleamed from skimming a bunch of Japanese material distributor pages.

The Magnolia also supports 19mm pads, I silicone my yoyos so this isn’t really relevant for me, but yeah Quercus doesn’t take 19mm pads. The Quercus was desiged very specifically for HKMT Grip-I sized pads. They’re thinner and hard, so if you put in normal 19mm pads they’re going to protrude a lot and feel like a silicone starburst on your yoyo. Even if you put in other extra slim pads the yoyo will probably feel super snaggy from them being softer than Grip-I. Your options with the Quercus are basically just: silicone it yourself (very based option, applying your own silicone to have recessed response rules), or buy hkmt grip-i pads (very not based option, but I guess it’s nice that there’s some pad that works well for it for the people who really don’t want to silicone anything).

Quercus plays super balanced and feels really light but isn’t lacking in spin at all, performs better than the majority of my other yoyos. The Magnolia throws the idea of just balance out the window to tack on all the extra rim weight and it’s a very noticeable performance boost at the cost of the yoyo feeling a bit slower and more reluctant. I like that feeling though in the Magnolia which is why it’s my preferred yoyo. The Quercus feels close in terms of play to the Reykjavik Freyja and Japan Technology Adel, both yoyos I also love. Magnolia surpasses them, but that’s also just a preference for what I like.

3 Likes