Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

@GTDropKnot’s hades literally has the ano worn off around the response. pretty sure he plays more than anyone here lol. homie’s been absolutely crushing it with progression. cant wait to see his freestyle routine at some regional contest next year =]

3 Likes

Thanks y’all are being super flattering cut it out it’s making me blush! Teehee…I work from home so I definitely get more time to play than a lot of ppl bc I don’t have a commute or anything and I might be good at picking up tricks but it definitely wasn’t always like that like I remember trying to learn branding super early and being like, nah I have no idea what’s going on.

I think I also got lucky in the tricks I chose to grind out early like I decided to grind out black hops super early into starting yoyo bc I could understand it and that helped my finger dexterity and string management a ton. Plus I’m just stubborn and wanted to do trick-a-week every week and had to push to learn some of the harder stuff. All the yocab stacks on itself so it gets easier and easier to figure out tricks. It doesn’t really feel like a grind so I’m not worried about getting burned out. I just really enjoy playing yoyo!

12 Likes

I think focusing recently on candy rain and black hops has really helped me out alot with control. Yesterday trying @ice1000’s Valkyrie doing black hops was insane. I have been missing out, I need to get a bimetal. I literally was giddy over how good that yoyo is haha.

Also, Henry definetly is a beast. I ask him for help on tricks I’m stuck with all the time and he always helps. Appreciate it man!

5 Likes

Let me know when you wanna try it out again.

2 Likes

Soon my friend soon! And sell me that Baryon! :sweat_smile:

Y’all, I’m addicted to the undercut —> tension hook. I keep finding places where it fits… like the end of the branding combo from last week. Which I think I finally have down.

10 Likes

Sure! I just need to make up my mind about the price

1 Like

Im getting more comfortable with this cross arm slack using a Sochi string Tesla gave me to try out. The way Sochi whips feels alot more solid than the AceYo I have been using. I cant quite describe it, it feels more dense or something. Just wish it was a little bit thicker. Kinda off topic but I’m curious how Sochi or Aceyo compares to OTS if anyone knows. That’s another on my list I want to try.

2 Likes

Okay! I closed the youtube video tab today so I just have to smooth this cross arm slack out and get it recorded. This trick is indeed really fun.

2 Likes

Very impressed with you guys! I’m actually getting that first Slack witch i thought would be impossible for me. Not sure I’ll get much past that step this week but if i can get that I’ll be super :smile:!

5 Likes

Second slack had been giving me trouble, started throwing today at lunch and I haven’t missed yet. Idk man lol

7 Likes

this trick is super fun, it helps a lot in grading string slack for reviews so i’m super excited to keep grinding it out

4 Likes

Its funny you say that. I noticed Sochi string helped alot compared to my normal Aceyo string in doing the beginning slack parts. The way sochi just seems heavier helped alot. I still havent gotten passed that part havent been able to throw much the past couple days unfortunately.

2 Likes

i’m using some more a&a formula 1 i had on me, probably my favorite string right now in terms of comfort factor

3 Likes

I’m a Sochi fan myself, but there’s never any yellow/fat in stock on here so I’m gonna have to hop on the OTS hype train and try that out next

3 Likes

I’m telling you, now that you have that slack down you’re going to do it constantly in other tricks because it’s just… right there. It’s so easy to set up for!

2 Likes

Facts bro it’s so fun haha

1 Like

Wanted an excuse to practice beefhook, so used it as an entrance to the trick.

One okay take, one pretty good take… with a bind fail. One of the things I like about filming myself is it forces me to practice top to bottom and not just isolate separate elements.

12 Likes

how in the world do you all land the slack throws, these are killing me

2 Likes

Which are giving you trouble?

3 Likes