Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Im not too practiced with redirects either and i found this a great trick to work at them with, Im finding i kind of love the back & forth motions of this one

2 Likes

I think I have it smoother now and still correct? @mable does this look right to you for the slap and such? 3 takes because… I’m doubting if it’s right.

9 Likes

Also, responsive branding! Slowly branching out into other styles.

11 Likes

Try waiting just a bit longer to rotate the yoyo after slapping the slack. Deliberately pause after the slap, and don’t swing the yoyo until you visibly see the slack that was slapped has done a full revolution, because when you swing the yoyo you want that slapped slack to do an additional revolution while trailing behind the yoyo. You’re only having that slapped slack travel around once, but it should be traveling around twice. It looks like you’re catching it in the proper way, but instead of catching the slack as it goes around a second time, you’re kind of catching the formation falling apart from rotating the yoyo too early.

1 Like

More like these? Or is this still one revolution

7 Likes

This is basically it! The only other thing I’d say is to try catching the loop when it passes the yoyo without crossing your arms. Everything here is right, it just looks a little off since you’re crossing your arm to make the catch instead of just letting the slack come around to your NTH.

2 Likes

Nice! I need to bust out my FH1 and work on branding. I seem to get off plane as I try to do a few in a row with an unresponsive. I think it’s from when I hop over the string I’m kinda doing it on an angle instead of straight up and over maybe?

1 Like

Woo! I feel like it never has quite enough momentum behind it to get all the way around so I wind up crossing to catch it — any tips for getting more swing out of it?

1 Like

My slack control is honestly pretty bad, so I’m mostly just basing this guess off 5A and redirect concepts, but it looks like you’re kind of stalling the movement of the slack with the yoyo swing? I think a lot of this trick is just gonna come down to the timing of when you start swinging the yoyo in relation to where the slack is, and the specific motion your TH makes to do the swing.

Because if either of those things isn’t just right, instead of continuing to move the slack, you’re going to be stalling the slack out in the same way you’d stall the yoyo for a midair redirect or stall the counterweight in 5A.

3 Likes

Week 39

So this week I wanted to try something a little different, just since there was some interest in Takeshi’s branding variation.

Here’s a cool cross armed slack. As far as Takeshi tricks go, the difficulty on this one should be super manageable. If you can hit kwyjibo or supercharger you shouldn’t struggle much with this. So definitely give this a shot if you’re wanting to learn a flashy slack.

13 Likes

so many moving parts (@_@)

4 Likes

Nah you can get it, just go step by step and you’ll have it down in no time!

3 Likes

mrmatio the :goat:

3 Likes

Just recorded my take for the week. This is an element I’ve used in the past, and I personally like to transition into this slack from a 1.5. Rather than start from a trapeze and do the kwyjibo style hop.

14 Likes

During that pair of tension hook things are you punching in two places? Do I see that right?

1 Like

Yeah, my NTH thumb is doing a pinch against my hand in addition to the index/middle finger pinch for both slacks.

2 Likes

This is a really really cool trick!!

1 Like
17 Likes

So far so good. Just working on getting the slack from the over mount (that’s what I’m calling the important part with the string stacked up from the hops) to not loop around. How have you guys been adjusting the length of the slack quickly?

Are you referring to the part of the trick right before you swing the swing the initial slack onto your NTH thumb?

If so just have your NTH index catch the strings pretty close to the yoyo itself, and when you pinch and pull away with your TH, the slack is already fully formed and you’re just revealing it, there’s no adjusting. Catching closer to the yoyo just gives you more string to work with. Another thing that might help is I do the entire beginning bit with my ring and pinky fingers curled around the string to help pull it back and create more separation. That creates a wider slack loop to make it easier to swing onto your thumb.

3 Likes