Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Sorry for being a super slacker and not participating for a while, been a very busy few weeks and haven’t had much time to dedicate to learning new tricks. Really want to learn the Gentry speed combo and the bouncy GT soon.

Black Hops is fun, and one that I only recently learned. Super fun to get it on video.

10 Likes

No need to apologize! TaW is not a mandatory thing and I totally understand that people have lives and are busy. Glad to see you back with a fresh trick for the arsenal tho! Nice!

2 Likes

I was thinking from the memes thread we need to find a TaW sponsor to randomly pick a monthly or weekly winner for video submissions. Even like a bag of strings or something. Come on Duncan/YYF where are ya? Ha

3 Likes

Enjoyed this trick last year… i actually remeber how it’s done.

10 Likes

Finally getting decent with doing black hops after this week of working on getting better at the second part. Glad it was last week’s trick because I been half stepping around just doing a couple tries here and there but I finally pushed myself to get it down.

13 Likes

Of course its not mandatory, but I have a blast with this thread and do feel bad I havent been able to participate as much as I’d have liked.

Appreciate you, friend!

4 Likes

Different setup. Worse backdrop, but don’t have to move anything to use. So, hopefully encourages me to film myself more.

Now back to working on responsive black hops.

14 Likes

Bouncy GT. This trick looks more fun than it can be at times at least for me. I keep hopping until I get myself in a twisted mess when it falls off the wrong side of the string. I did figure out from doing that so many times you can rotate the string around to avoid getting a knot. Gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em with bouncing too long hah.

10 Likes

First post in the thread. I’m going to try to make time to go back and film previous weeks.

8 Likes

This week we’re gonna be doing what I think to be a pretty essential trick to have in your arsenal: branding.

Branding is a classic slack element presented as a full trick in this video. Once you’re comfortable with doing branding as this trick, you’ll start to realize that there are all sorts of ways to set up branding, and other mounts that you do do a branding type motion with.

11 Likes

thank the lord, i’ve been wanting to learn this forever! now i have an excuse :3

4 Likes

Doc Pop did a whole video on the history and some variations. It’s pretty good if you haven’t had a chance to see it yet.

7 Likes
12 Likes

henry

Had to come support the homies

taw

14 Likes

fastest TaW success in the west :gun:

13 Likes

Ayee branding is one of my favorite things to do so I gotta go the extra mile this week and do a little combo. (And film black hops and bouncy GT lol). I have not neglected the TaW fam I promise! Been super busy with the race car these past couple weeks because the track near me is closing for good in October, and I just wanna get as much time there as I can

5 Likes

h*ck yeah, I love a good grind bind

Here’s a Takeshi style branding to set up a normal branding.

10 Likes

Is there a tutorial for the takeshi version you’re doing? If not, I’m just watching your video 1000 times to figure it out.

Excited for this week - I’ve been meaning to get the double branding variation down for a while.

3 Likes

There’s no like breakdown tutorial but it’s really simple. You just do a branding, and when the loop has come around you just pinch the 1.5 with your TH and slap the slack loop back. Then when slack has returned to the original position you have your TH rotate the entire hold counterclockwise with the slack trailing behind it.

There’s really nothing to it other than just… it’s really hard. Although my slack control definitely leaves a lot to be desired, somebody more comfortable with slack control might find it to be a lot easier than I find it.

5 Likes

What a cool freaking trick. Thanks @mable

4 Likes