tri metal?

note: i dont have a knack for writing what i planned to say. and i got some of these ideas WHILE writting it so its a rambling mess.

Original post: (not very well considered or thought out)
Bi metals have most of the weight on the outer rim, getting more spin time. now what if we took that to a new level? it would be a normal bi metal yoyo BUT inside the steel part would be a tungsten ring. basically the steel is there to prevent the tungsten from getting damaged. and if you think about it this makes more sense than what comes to your mind as ā€˜normalā€™. Tungsten is about 2.5 times denser than steel so they cant really make a complete rim of steel. so a small inner rim would have to do. but if that rim was INSIDE the yoyo it would wobble less. now cover that bit with steel to prevent the tungsten ring from falling out. if it was covered with aluminum it would make an embaressing welding scar.i know this isnt making much sense.

basically
steel-tungsten-aluminum yoyo. in that order. i actually think this idea has merit.

Modified post: (newer ideas, probably better and more feasible.)
A normal bimetal on the outside. BUT the steel rim would be half hollow. It would be like a car tire on the inside. By which I mean its compartmentalized. You know how car tires look like on the inside? Replace the rubber with steel, replace the air with tungsten dust. Thatā€™s what a 2016 tri metal should be.

Justification:
Tungsten dust wonā€™t break, bend or shatter. Thatā€™s why it should be dust. Although it could be solid, it might still shatter.
It has steel because aluminum would deform too easily if you drop it.because if it bursts, the yoyo is screwed. To lessen the possibility of this the rim should be steel. And titanium doesnā€™t have the density to be considered. Although it could work.
The aluminum could be replaced with titanium at a priceā€¦

Thatā€™s the summary of the current idea.

Interesting idea however tungsten tends to be very sensitive to treat and if done wrong it can be very fragile and very brittle. Steal and aluminum have very high malleability and flex which really gives it some resistance to impact and dings. Tungsten would probably turn into a bunch of pieces with a significant impact.

How about instead of tungsten, titanium rims. Would be cheaper than a full on titanium but have some similar qualities.

Isnā€™t Sengoku producing a trimetal? I think itā€™s called the Hideyoshi and itā€™s steel + Brass + 7075.

tungsten is way more dense than titanium

ā€¦yea, and itā€™s absolutely the same as a bi-metal for all practical purposes, feel included.

1 Like

yea. But as stated, itā€™s susceptible to cracking.

Are you trying to say itā€™s susceptible to cracking?

haā€¦ Didnā€™t even realize I put that. Yes.

I -have- tried itā€¦ he had it at worlds. And yes, Iā€™m absolutely certain heā€™s full of ā€¦

Kyle

If I understand this correctly, the question boils down to whether the benefits of multi-materials is additive?

If you encase a denser material in another, less dense metal; it seems to me that they would not carry more rotational momentum than the same yo-yo without the lighter encasing material. The material properties do not compliment each other. The denser property will ā€œwin-outā€ over the less-dense material. This will make the encasing material simply ā€œextra-baggageā€ when the denser material tries to move it.

I tried the tri-metal yoyo at nats, was kinda meh. The Three materials did not do so much good as badā€¦

1 Like

with two metals it takes a fair bit of precision to keep the yoyo from vibing. with three metals i could see the tolerance getting way out of wack and it being harder to get the design to be stable and to play well.

Steal is actually denser then titanium so the benefit from density that one gets with a steal rim outweighs (see what I did there!!) the benefit of a titanium rim.

The ideal if anything would be the density and strength of titanium in the middle of the yoyo with weight of the steal rims on the outside.

Axis has another pulsefire coming out like this.

I thought the tri-metal was ok. The string the person had on it was hella worn so that put a damper on the experience.

Iā€™ve played the Hideyoshi many times. I personally think that itā€™s great! It feels different from most bi metals that Iā€™ve thrown. Thanks Feruvox for letting me play them:)

http://www.instagram.com/p/9IC_yfPjRn/?taken-by=sengokuyoyos

http://www.instagram.com/p/9IDmW4vjSO/?taken-by=sengokuyoyos

[quote=ā€œGrandMaster,post:17,topic:77862ā€]
Iā€™ve played the Hideyoshi many times. I personally think that itā€™s great! It feels different from most bi metals that Iā€™ve thrown. Thanks Feruvox for letting me play them:)

Ok, so people need to not be confused about thisā€¦

What the material is does NOT matter. How much it weighs DOES matter. WHERE the weight is DOES matterā€¦ but here is the important partā€¦ ONLY to a certain extent.

Moving a gram of weight a fraction one way or another doesnā€™t change much, especially way out on the rim when youā€™re talking in diameters not widths. Itā€™s just mathā€¦ youā€™re adjusting the moment of inertia and small changes are small changes.

To throw out a random exampleā€¦ a steel weight ring 56mm diameter thatā€™s got a 3mm wall isnā€™t going to be massively different than some other material thatā€™s got a 4mm wall, assuming theyā€™re the same weight. Since with yo-yos weā€™re dealing with finite weight limits, dual materials are pretty much going to max out what you can do in this regardā€¦ adding a third just makes it more expensive and sounds like good (misleading) marketing.

Iā€™m not sure that made it any less confusing, but it seems easier to understand than writing out a bunch of equations I guess.

Kyle

1 Like

to second the where the weight is matters i have a queen and had a rainflyā€¦ i personally thought the queen had way more oomf on the rims then the rainfly didā€¦ and the rainfly has a pretty heft to the rims.