Tri-metal yoyo? 😮

Glen said>

‘Julio from Sengoku isn’t overly interested in aesthetics.’

…That has got to be in a tie for 1st place in any contest of Most Ridiculous Statements.

But at least it shows exactly how much of nothing you know about Julio; lol

Breathing waaay too much wood dust Glen

4 Likes

From every conversation I’ve ever had with Julio, it’s clear that performance is his no. 1 priority.

I didn’t say he was not interested in aesthetics whatsoever, I said he isn’t overly interested in it.

Breathing way too much cat fur there @yoyodoc.

4 Likes

Hey buddy. I´m glad to answer that.
First of all, rings made of denser material allow to distribute the weight in a way is not possible by making the Aluminum thicker in some areas. so the idea is to allocate weight in the less space possible. But i don´t want to get into a discussion about how rings work. I guess that has been discussed a lot already since the introduction of bi-metals.
I don´t think that would be much dispute if I say 4 rings are better than 2. There will be more benefit to have more rings unless you don´t know what you are doing.

The original idea of a Tri-metal was Al+SS+Brass. Brass is considerably denser than Steel, so in the case of the first Tri-Metal I made it was necessary because Brass is not as hard as steel and will deform easily if used in an upper ring because its exposed and dings would wreck havoc. So the upper ring was Steel and the inner ring was Brass.
After 5 years I observed that while Hideyoshi still in great shape, some yoyos have a slight vibe and I believe is due to the brass, so I discarded for the new project.
Cobalt-Chrome is quite similar to steel in density and doesn´t deform.

So, for practical purposes, there were no noticeable difference if i used SS on all rings.
Then why use CC instead of all SS rings? for several reasons:
-Al+SS no matter how many rings would be a Bi-metal, and I believe this type of yoyos (with more than 2 rings) are something significantly different from the typical 2 ring bi-metals. The difference between 2 and 4 rings is as much as the difference between 2 and no rings. The feeling is different. Bi-metals tend to have a hard kick, you feel the drag, because the ring is allocated on the edge in most cases, which is the idea, to give it a powerful spin. While an extra ring towards the center will stabilize the yoyo without having to make the walls thicker.
-I think calling it a Bi-metal would mislead to think is the same as a 2 rings yoyo.
So to make a distinction, I decided to use different materials on the rings. It is not aesthetic, since the color is the same, CC rings are are PVD treated to make a visual distinction.
-It doesn´t increase the cost more than a couple bucks.
-Plus wouldn´t you agree that its more cool to have CC+SS rather than SS+SS? :wink:

Any other questions, let me know, I´m glad to answer.

11 Likes

By the way, YYE will have them next week. And it will have a YYE exclusive purple color!

7 Likes

Performance is the main goal in most cases, but it also has to look cool. both are part of a good design. Thats the challenge, to make something that works and looks good.
There are other cases where Aesthetics played the center role and i had to adapt performance to it like in the case of Hattori and ERCIM.
But I understand what you tried to say.

3 Likes

This is awesome insight; thanks for the explanation.

3 Likes

Thank you @NeoHamster for directly addressing my curiosity. Your explanations were super insightful and exactly what I was curious to know.
I think the Shogun looks amazing personally, especially in that YYE purple!
Loving your work sir.

3 Likes

Why gold?! I’d kill for this with black rings.

2 Likes

Anything ‘any’ of us say; is obviously subject to interpretation. But that being recognized; making an unfounded statement about Julios’ mindset in designing yoyos; is without merit and is simply invalid.

Because a point of focus(aesthetics) is not #1; doesn’t demote it to #3.

Julio is endlessly focused on balancing performance with aesthetics and his achievements are the best forms of evidence.

His primary motivation just happens to be performance.

Your, ‘not overly’ view is a useless and pointless misrepresentation of Julios’ mindset.

Julio is a personal friend of mine. And I have no hesitation is saying I know how the gears in his mind work; far better than you do.

3 Likes

Well it’s nice to see that my statement qualified me for one of your carefully worded eloquent English retorts. Those are reserved for those who have reached a higher level of bothering you. Not everyone has that honor.

It’s not unfounded. Remember: I said my opinion was based on multiple conversations I’ve had with Julio. I didn’t just arbitrarily choose to say that.

Anyway. My dad could beat up your dad.

6 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

Because I the order was small. I had to chose between black and gold, and black wouldn´t fit the Black body. :frowning:

3 Likes

Blackouts are cool!

But at least you had a good reason… I GUESS

1 Like

The Yo is a beauty! Looks like a whole lot of design work was put into it. Love the fact that Sengoku keeps pushing and innovating design concepts. The fit and finish of Sengoku models is among the best, I’m sure this is going to be no different. Thank you Julio for continuing to bring something different to the market! Props Brother!

4 Likes

So I just got mine. Let me tell you, this thing is a beast!
Here’s a quick test:

8 Likes

Nice! I guess only the pink colorway came with the ultra cool behind the back tricks pre-installed (my blue one can’t seem to do them🤣)

I agree that @NeoHamster designed and delivered a monster of a yoyo. I hope you continue to enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine!

4 Likes

Here’s my review on this yoyo!

3 Likes

surely my point of view is very countercurrent … I own a Hideyoshi I have never found it particularly pleasant to play, it is not particularly fast or light, I do not find advantages in the use of its rings.
more generally this is what I think in general of bi-metal, I have several, all excellent yoyos, but everyone has shown me that it has no particular advantages compared to a good yoyo made of aluminum only.
Are a Draupnir or a Start the Riot not a good yoyo? certainly. but if I take a Dreadnought or a Third Impact then I don’t say “my god the world has changed.”
aluminum yoyo with best weight distribution among the ones I have? certainly the Turntable, certainly not The Edge or the Space Cowboy or the Space Cadet … even the Paolista (really good yoyo!) I prefer compared to these three bi-metal.
I repeat, they are all good or excellent yoyos, but nothing more that you can achieve with a well-designed and made single-metal yoyo, and being objects assembled in several parts, this aspect also makes them more fragile and / or problematic.

2 Likes

100% agree. The original Turntable has such a funky weight distribution, I don’t know what I expected it to play like, but, it blew away my expectations

1 Like