Transitioning to unresponsive throw

Hey guys!

I’m transitioning from responsive to unresponsive and it feels like I don’t know how to throw anymore. :rofl:

I was practicing mainly with a MYY K2, but also used the YYF Whip and the MYY V6. I feel like I was pretty consistent on smooth throws. As soon as I tried unresponsive, it was like totally different.

The first thing I noticed was the string “bump” created by the bind. It’s like there’s this very harsh impact on every throw when the string gets fully stretched at the point of the bind, making the yoyo hit the end of the string pretty hard and get wobbly. Does that make sense or it’s something else?

I’m using a Replay Pro, a Hertz and also tried a friend’s IQ. It felt the same with all of them, the only difference was that the Hertz is a bit smoother.

Any tips on how to minimize that to get a cleaner unresponsive throw?

4 Likes

When you first start to learn to bind, you will often time bind and have a large tail. The tail is likely what is causing your next throw to unravel and thud at the end of the string. As you practice binding you’ll get the feel and will be able to bind with a smaller/no tail and that will lead to smoother throws without the thud.

6 Likes

I’m not totally following tbh but A LOT of these beginner bind issues stem from poor string tension.

Bad string tension = bad binds & a bad quality throw after the bind

Always a good idea to check your string tension! And yeah, like @CatFoodScience said, a lot of the times it’s the size of the “tail” too. Practice binding with the yoyo a bit closer to your non throwhand and that, combined with good string tension, should start to eliminate any “tail”/weird bind issues.

5 Likes

Yo wassup welcome to the forum. I know what you’re talking about like the sensation but not why it happens. I don’t really notice it anymore but I remember thinking this at one point. It could def be the things that have been suggested already and it might just go away as you get more practice in.

It could also be the yoyos have dead strings and you’re more used to whatever string you were using before. You could try a fresh string w lots of bounce and see if that feels better.

It could also be where you’re aiming your throw like if you’re throwing front style directly straight down you can try to add a little angle to it. Same thing for breakaways like I get a thunk if I do my breakaway directly out to the side and again you can try to add a little more angle to the throw. You can also try to hit your finger first like over the top for frontstyle and you can go under from a breakaway like finger on top.

The best thing to do is keep throwing them and trying to get all the stuff right like a nice clean bind and good throw and getting better at that stuff plus the practice should help you reach the comfy nice feeling throw you’re searching for. Good luck it def felt weird for me to go unresponsive but then it gets addicting lol

4 Likes