Torque vs Strix

Hello everyone!! Through some awesome measures, I got an awesome Duncan care package from a friend of mine, inside ranging from stickers, to key chain things, some kk bearings and a torque and strix! Both throws are pretty similar so I decided to do a review of both of them in a head to head challenge and see who comes out on top! You know the drill, specs first, then review, winner at the end! So lets get this rolling!
Lets crack up the horses with some Torque power!
Diameter: 56.00 mm / 2.20 inches
Width: 43.2 mm / 1.70 inches
Gap Width: 4.2 mm / .16 inches
Weight: 65.8 grams
Bearing Size: Dif-E-Yo KonKave Bearing
Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Response: Duncan SG Stickers
Also Compatible W/ CBC or K-Pad
(Slim Pad Size)

Bam! Alright, those numbers are out of the way now, and the 45$ price tag, I can get to nitty gritty. Torque is one of those throws where it entered my mind, and slowly took over my head where the next throw that hit my hands was a Torque! Sure enough, Torque hit my hand and It’s been hard to let go even while sleeping. I wouldn’t say this yoyo feels 100% nature, but then again, neither does a broad sword. Both kick some serious butt though. The very comfortable v shape feels powerful in your hand, and you’ll be surprised how much bite comes back after your combo. Also, going through your combos, as the torque is on a heavier side, it kinda has a ‘slaming’ feel on the string, at least for me. It’s not something bad, ask it’s fun to slam a string and whip it into skin the gerbil, but it should be noted.

Now this throw is not with out its flaws. It’s a BIG full size throw. Give you an idea, it’s on par and maybe a little wider than 2012 supernova. Just as tall and honestly, not as heavy as you would think the result would be. Spin time is respectful at about a minute 10 on a nice hard, straight throw. (Would like to report that one of the time trials it stopped right on 59.59. Nothing to do with the throw, but I thought might share anyway)

Time for Strix time to shine!
Diameter: 54.50 mm / 2.14 inches
Width: 42.40 mm / 1.67 inches
Gap Width: 4.15 mm / .16 inches
Weight: 66.1 grams
Bearing Size: Konkave Bearing (Licensed by Dif-E-Yo)
Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Response: Duncan SG Stickers
Also Compatible W/ CBC or K-Pad (Slim Pad Size)

Clocking in at ten dollars more than the torque, a wild Strix has appeared! I would like to start this off with GOOD LORD is this yoyo shiny! It’s something so great just have it in a brightly lit room. Just looks spectacular. It almost has one of those cool, yet powerful looks to it. Picture Indiana Jones crawling out of a fridge after an atomic bomb, yet in yoyo form. From any angle.
The play just shows that looks are only skin deep, but talent is something your born with. This throw is close to the same size as the torque, little smaller, but it feels like a glove in the hand and floats like a butterfly and stings like the worlds sexiest bee.

But, some of the down sides where the fact that even though as you look at it, finger, thumb and hand grinds look possible, they are very hard to do. Almost to the point where i would say don’t try. Which is a shame because so much of wants to do a thumbs up finger grind with it in a killer photo shop. Also, because of how gorgeous this throw is, it’s a little stressful to play with. You don’t want to risk hurting it!

So how did they compare?

This one was close. After all, Duncan has been making yoyos since your grandfather was catching the horse to work. They know what they’re doing and when they make two throws that are both amazing, its hard to choose. They’re two, really similar throws, with very similar price and play. But in the end, i had to go with the Strix. The beauty alone launched it ahead, and for the size, the Strix is a VERY floaty and quiet yoyo. It seems to run across the string, only pausing and needing a re throw when you need a moment to gather your thoughts. Torque was a powerhouse, but believe it or not, spin times were super close. Nothing really to report unless you really need to hear about the torques 2-3 second (at most) lead.
In the end, if you have 55 dollars to invest into a throw, do yourself a favor and get the strix. If your cap is 55 with shipping, you can’t go wrong with the torque as a back up. Both our quality throws, plus, they’re super durable. Duncan shows they still have what it takes to compete. Good job Duncan! Hats off to you!
Overall rating for Torque 7.8/10
Overall rating for Strix 8.5/10.
Anyway, that’s all for now throwers!

2 Likes