Too Old to Get Back into Yoyoing

Hey Everybody,

Maybe this is a stupid topic but I’m 18 and love yoyoing however I’ve stopped recently because I’ve been super busy with school. I’m a pretty average player and was wondering if its too late to get really good at it?

No.
It only takes like 2 years starting from zero, if you really work on it, to be really good to the point of competing and placing well.

1 Like

Definately not! I was 23 when I personally started yoyoing, so even if you yoyo-ed from now until I started you’d have 5 years under your belt, which is enough time to get competition-worthy if you practice enough.

Heck I think if there’s one thing we learn from Greg’s “Old Guys” battle that there is no age limit to yoyoing. If you put in the practice, regardless of how old you are, you can get very very good.

Also, 18 is not old. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I’m 30 and I try to yoyo everyday. I’m nowhere near the best but I love doing it, it’s relaxing. Really it’s never to late to start yoyoing as long as you’re capable to do so, get back out there and start throwing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

As long as you are breathing air and physically capable…it’s NEVER too late

1 Like

I picked it back up (for real) back in may last year. Im 32 and I dont think im too old…

2 Likes

Too old? Hell I plan to keep learning things until I die. A couple years ago I decided to learn woodworking, and can now build reasonably good furniture. My latest hobby? Yoyo. A couple months in and LOVING it.

I’m 39.

I know when you’re young (And dammit I’m still young) it seems like you have to get everything done when you’re single and in your physical prime, but don’t be one of those people who quits doing fun things just because you start “real life” (whatever that means). You always have time to do what makes you happy!

(It also helps to not give a rip if the other folks in my business meetings think it’s weird that I have a yoyo in my pocket.)

7 Likes

What a second post! applauds

I would like to extend a warm welcome to you sir, it’s good to have you among us. ;D

3 Likes

Agree with what everyone else has said. I’m 45, I’ve been yoyoing just over a year. It is fun, I’m learning new things, and, it is a good way to spend time with my kids.

I think the key is to not be concerned about the opinion of those around you (within reason - don’t yoyo during work meetings or class :grin:). Most of the people who look down on yoyo are just jealous that we still know how to have fun

2 Likes

I played when I was a kid when throwing was on a fixed axle only and very basic compared to today. I started to seriously throw again about 5 years ago when I was 61. Though I have not gotten very good I am an ok player throwing both fixed axle and bearing and, most importantly, I have fun.

So 18 is young and I welcome you to the fold, and…

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
3 Likes

Thanks for the kind welcome! I probably should comment in the sticky intro post. I’ve mostly been lurking for the last few weeks …

This topic gives me hope that I’m not the only one picking this up after my 20s!

1 Like

18?

Too old?

Did I miss another funeral?

A life fades into the history of Yo…

:weary:

2 Likes

This thread made me chuckle :smiley: 31 years of age here and I started seriously throwing when I was in my mid 20s in college. My interest in yoyoing sort of evolved out of another hobby of mine, which is action figure collecting. Back when I was in college (mid 2000s), I remembered how much fun I had as a kid throwing Duncan Imperials/Butterflies I used to beg my mom to buy me from the grocery store, and I thought it would be cool to obtain those again for nostalgic purposes, since I was already working on acquiring old action figures I had as a kid. When I started doing a bit of research, I was amazed to see how much yoyoing had evolved and the community surrounding it. Needless to say, the rest is history, and I knew right then that it was something I wanted to pursue and be involved in. At no point in time did I consider my age as a factor in my interest in it.

My main hobby outside of yoyoing is hobby grade radio controlled cars and airplanes. Again, my interest in this came about after many years of toy collecting, and nostalgic memories I had as a kid playing with toy-grade radio shack RCs. There are many people my age (as well as very young children and old retirees) that are into the RC hobby as passionately as I am, so again, I don’t believe age should factor into your hobbies whatsoever. I am also into collecting cards and comics on the side as well. Member hobbyman101 said it best: “Most importantly, HAVE FUN!” That’s what hobbies are all about and fun doesn’t just suddenly stop as you get older and have more responsibilities. It’s never too late to have fun ;D

1 Like

Shoot… I better put away my yoyos then…

I’m 40 and was just given a DV888 for Christmas. Hadn’t thrown a yoyo for probably 20 years before that. In that two months I’ve progressed to a unresponsive throw and I’ve been practicing everyday. Both of my young kids have both loopers and butterfly yoyos now and we practice together. I’ve picked up all the intermediate tricks and I’m starting on advanced now. The gray in my beard hasn’t slowed me down at all.

I’ve even started integrating yoyos into my science classes. My students love it.

1 Like

I’m 32 and I yoyo every day. Yoyo is a timeless toy that nobody will ever outgrow.

1 Like

I’m 30 and have been doing it bout 10 or 11 months i don’t feel too old heck 18 haha man you got plenty of time there are some on here allot older and like gambit said the battle of the elders some of those guys are a force to be reckoned with hey have fun and dont stress about how fast you learn i stink at it and have almost a year under my belt

1 Like

THANK YOU GUYS,

Thank you all so much, I’m pretty sure I knew the response I would get when I made this post. But it’s so great to hear all of this, all of you are really inspiring. It’s a done deal, I love yoyoing and I’m going to start yoyoing more again. It’s fun and that’s all that matters.

Cheers,

Sean

Welcome home brother.

1 Like

I’m almost 25. Honestly before this thread I thought I’m “pretty” old compared to most of you who post here (except the select ones I knew were old).
Couldn’t be more wrong.

I’m almost 40 years older than you and I just started last year. Just have fun with it. ;D