Too much value on mint?

So a lot of times people like to trade mint throws and won’t take damaged ones. Sure it’s nice to have a yoyo like its new, but what is the point in having it mint if you plan on playing it? An I just crazy or would I rather have one with a few scratches so I don’t worry about dinging it and having it not be mint anymore? I don’t mean like covered in dings, just a few scratches that don’t affect play. Okay. Rant over. Haha

Collectors look for the best condition throw as possible so when it’s no longer mint you’ve basically lost the whole collectors market which is who will pay the highest price. You’re now left with mostly players so version doesn’t really matter anymore if it’s 1 of 10 or 1 of 500 because collectors will most likely not want a damaged throw so it may as well be the same value as the 1 of 500.

4 Likes

I’m not talking about a collectors yoyo. I’m taking like an average $50 throw.

2 reasons why mint is so valuable on the used market

1. It assures me that nothing extremely abusive has happened. Once the yoyo has marks, I don’t know if those marks got there because you dropped it 2 feet one time, or if you ran it over with a car. I have to assume the worst. Buying a throw advertised as completely mint in box is really the only way I have any recourse with a seller.

2. Everybody else thinks along the same lines as number 1. Result: it’s much, much, much harder for me to sell on a damaged throw. This makes trading a mint throw for a damaged throw a losing proposition, even if the yoyos have relatively the same value and play similarly.

1 Like

I personally try to only look for mint or very close to mint throws on the BST because getting them mint/close to mint assures me that:

1. It still plays as if I bought it new
  2. I can easily sell/trade it in the future

I agree with Studio. If you have a damaged yoyo on your bst then I have to wonder what you did to it, haha. If it is mint then it is just so much easier. Also people will extreamly understate what damage is really on the yoyo too. No one wants to hear ding even when it is witch means they can’t trade it as easily. Also if something isn’t mint most of the time I don’t want it unless it is a very very small ammount of damage, even then you have to worry about people saying something is more mint that it really is.

It does vary from person to person though. If you see something listed as mint then there isn’t much worry but if it isn’t mint then you have to have a description of the damage and pictures and ect ect ect, haha.

But the difference between mint and a couple scratches can be like $50. Sounds like a good trade off to me. Must just be my opinion though.

I posted this one day after I’d put a new ding on the red one.

I was like, “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

It’s true that keeping them mint allows folks to move them faster on the BST, and it can be hard to sell something that’s dinged up. I guess one answer is that not everyone buys a yoyo solely with the intention of keeping it forever - and given that a dinged yoyo is harder to trade, it makes sense for folks who are certain they’ll be keeping a yoyo to try to not damage it and to purchase them mint. Personally, I’ve been done hassling with that game for a while, but I understand it.

If you’re just buying to play, then the rules don’t really apply. Get a great deal and enjoy it.

A lot of us doing the bulk of the buying and selling though, we do a lot of buying and selling. You learn pretty fast when you’re in the trading game that mint throws keep you liquid, so to speak, and you can make your moves much more quickly. It’s often worth skipping that good deal on a dinged throw, even if you really want it, just because that throw can haunt your own BST forever.

I only buy mint and enjoy getting a yoyo on the bst in the exact condition as it would be in if I bought it new. I was really bad at first and would sell off yoyos right when I damaged them but now I tend not mind as much if its my own damage cause im sure everybody can remember were and when they put a song in there favorite yoyo. I just dont like getting yoyos damaged by others and would rather stick with the mint throws.

The price point really doesn’t matter when it comes to collectors. Some very collectable yoyos are way under that amount, but still collectable. besides. as others have stated, if the yoyo looks to be in very good to mint condition, more people are likely to be interested in buying it regardless of their intentions to play it or stuff it in a drawer.

1 Like

I like the way you said ding, I like that a lot more than “love marks”

Lmao that was actually a mistake but now im gonna run with it :slight_smile: “singin about dingin my yoyo” could be the next country hit :slight_smile:

I consider the BST like looking through the clearance rack in a store. The idea is to find the best quality, new condition items, at the lowest prices. I am more of a collector type. I only have about 12 yo-yos that I really play at any given time, so the vast majority are collectors. No point having a collector’s item that is damaged, unless you just cannot find one in mint condition, and have to settle.

I would never want a damaged item, unless it is a model that is so rare that it is too hard to find in mint condition.

I personally think its silly to buy mint because you are paying such a high premium. Its a toy. Youre going to play with it and its going to get marked. Not even the best players can prevent this. Sure a mint throw looks nice sitting in a case, but thats no fun. Yoyos like to spin!

I never ding my yoyos, and I play them all the time. I prefer mint throws, they look nicer.

I agree with the vast majority here. I’d rather have a mint yoyo than some dinged up one. That’s not to say I won’t buy one if I solely intend to play it, but I am picky about what I buy, and I understand why many others are as well.

:smiley: