Tom Kuhn No Jive Optic Star arrived

Haven’t seen anyone review the Optic Star, but saw that it’s on quite a few “want” lists so I thought I’d throw in my two cents. Mine just arrived in the mail. I ordered it despite the opinion of someone here I respect very much. I’m really just a beginner, so I can’t speak to how well it plays, but I can tell you how it looks and feels in the hand.
It feels great. It looks like, well, let’s just say I’m really disappointed. Wish I’d taken the sage advice and looked for an older No Jive on ebay, cause they’re there for fair cash.
If you’re buying this because the pictures look cool, I can just say that mine in no way lived up to the pics. The laser design is light and a bit uneven. Anyhow, first thing I did was take it apart and reassemble it in the modified form as opposed to what Tom calls the “flying camel” configuration, which I think is just a butterfly.
This is my first fixed axle, so I’m just trying to get some decent sleep time out of it and do some picture tricks right now, and it feels really solid, comfortable and substantial in the hand. I don’t have any problem with wobble. All-in-all, I’m a bit disappointed with the look, but I’m keeping it cause I really like the way it feels and spins. As I improve, we’ll see how it plays.
I look forward to hearing others’ impressions of the No Jive 3-in-1 Optic Star.

I like the engravings on mine. And I do agree that it plays great.

I love mine especially with a hubstack o ring as a shim in one side. opens it up just enough

1 Like