Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

Found this when going thru boxes. I miss the old days, when all Tom Kuhns out of the box looked this incredible. The last wave of wood just didn’t look as magical.

It’s a mandala, not first run but in a “Patent Pending” box. DH

12 Likes

I hope this isn’t a dumb question, but I’m new to TK yoyos. I’ve read that some of the early mandalas were not intended to be used / switched to butterfly configuration. The one you posted looks significantly rounder than some of the later mandalas I’ve seen. So is this the type that was not intended to be turned to the butterfly configuration? And if the shape of this mandahla yoyo is indeed more rounded than the No Jive 3 in 1 - was this rounded shape used for any other TK yoyos?

1 Like

bueller, bueller… bueller?

cheap…

1 Like

I got this in the mail as a part of my husband’s surprise yoyo birthday present. It looks like there is some pitting/corrosion on both sides.

I thought you guys might know if it can or should be cleaned (with something like MAAS metal polish, Haggery, or Wright’s Silver Cream) or is it best to just leave it alone?

3 Likes

I have only one Tom Kuhn in my collection, a TK Sixty. Here she is:

9 Likes

Ok fam. Is my No Jive supposed to have a wood axle sleeve?

And what are there rubber bands in my SB-2 box for?

2 Likes

Yes, No Jive’s have a wood axle sleeve.

The “rubber bands” that come with your SB2 fit inside the rims to give it more weight.

3 Likes

i love tk!

1 Like

2 Likes

They should fit closer to edge of the rims, and then push it flat all the way around.

That ain’t happening Chief.

4 Likes

that is peculiar? i do have extra weight rings, and i’ll send them out… i’ve not seen the rings oversize like that… they should be flush inside almost as well though…

2 Likes

Totally not blaming you! Lol. I’ll snag some from Ace. All good.

2 Likes

Totally possible that the rubber expanded over time. Been awhile since they made them for sure.

3 Likes

@yoyodave42 post up a Legendary Aspen. Good thing I Ski Purgatory.

That price :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Super epic, but it waaaaay prices me out.
84 Olympics cost me 1/5 that. But hey, I get it - charge what it’s worth to you and if it is to another collector out there :+1:t3::+1:t3:

Always kinda assumed that grail would stay a grail for me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If I’m reading the description correctly Dave has 4 of these? :flushed: Or maybe he’s just seen 3 others pop up in the past 3 years.

As a collector of different items, who has searched certain things out for years, I have to admit it’s always fun to have at least one item that is always just out of reach :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@edhaponik, you should hold out for the Aspen Dennis McBride use to own. From master to master, for you are so worthy. There would be some serious pantina it that throw.

3 Likes

Dave owns that one too. Can’t imagine what he’d ask for it.

2 Likes