Titanium Yo-Yo

Man I really wanna try the top deck, I’ve been looking everywhere but can’t find one

2 Likes

What a great reply, thank you!!

3 Likes

You’re welcome! Go get an Alpine, I doubt they’ll stay in stock for long!

3 Likes

I’ll be back in 24 hours and then hiding from my wife for 36

5 Likes

Precisely.

2 Likes

Ti is nice, Ti is fun, Ti makes ya feel good and your wallet slim!

9 Likes

Did someone say titanium?

20 Likes

My God it’s beautiful

2 Likes

So I assume you think they are worth it?

2 Likes

Titanium yoyos are definitely more of a luxury than a necessity. The metavity is at least one example where it’s claimed that was necessary for the design, and for comparison you can get the essence which is a very similar design in 6061. They are very different in play.

I can think of a few others where you can compare similar design in Ti and Al:

• CLYW alpine and borealis 2, as @Hanker mentioned. I strongly prefer the alpine.
  • G2 Ti banshee and banshee, I prefer the Al7 banshees.
  • G2 Ti hawk and hawk, I prefer the Ti version.
  • G2 Ti trition and triton. The V2 ti triton prototype is much better then the Al version.
  • Ti Wisteria and wisteria. The wisteria is a bimetal, ti version is not. Very different yoyos apart from a similar shape.
  • Turning Point mustang is “a melding of several concepts, like the bimetal Colony and the monometal St. Elmo.” The mustang is my absolute favorite Ti throw, colony and elmo are also fantastic, but the mustang is something very special.
  • Turning Point soul is a sibling of the leviathan series. I don’t see a lot of similarity, but I do really like the soul and I’ve never really bonded with any leviathan (I’ve owned several).
  • The various Round Spinning Objects reboots, YWet, Vizilla, Einstien, Dert. I’m probably forgetting some.
  • Thesis antithesis vs hypothesis. Again bimetal vs mono ti. Very different yoyos.
  • Yoyofriends ti sunbird and sunbird. Tibird feels a lot better to me.

I don’t feel like comparing these is the best way to look for the pros/cons of Ti. You need to look at Ti specific designs, but that’s a longer discussion and I have to get to work :frowning:

10 Likes

Great point!!

1 Like

I just like all yoyos. Everyone in this thread has already made great points. I feel you won’t be disappointed in getting an alpine. If you are just sell it.

4 Likes

Yea worth the price is going to depend I guess on how highly you value feel. If your main thing is performance then no not worth. If you care more about how a throw feels when you play and you want to experience all of the different ways a yo can feel then you’ll want to try a titanium eventually.

Also if you don’t like the alpine chances are you can sell it on for a small loss quite easily. Just don’t spark it lol. It would be a great first ti imo.

8 Likes

The first time I bought a titanium yoyo, I was conflicted on whether I should have made such a “luxurious” purchase. A few days later I was talking to a friend who had just discovered mountain biking. For his first purchase, he spent $15,000 for a bike and some gear. I was stunned, and grateful that high end yoyos are priced in the hundreds, and not thousands. A musician friend of mine collects vintage and custom built guitars. The ones in his collection start at $5,000! Some people collect cars, art, rare books, watches, etc. I think high end yoyos are relatively inexpensive when you look at the cost of high end gear from just about any other hobby.

15 Likes

I actually use this analogy alot…

Especially to defend my yoyo addiction.

5 Likes

Ehhhhh… That’s a flawed and dangerous approach. I think that, for many of us, yoyo is one of multiple hobbies and we therefore have to consider that these are just some of our “frivolous” expenses. Also, I think that yoyo has that “micro transaction” element where, sure throws aren’t THAT expensive. But then we are also buying strings, bearings, cases, clothing, and other accessories.

So while I will agree that in the grand scheme of things yoyo isn’t THAT pricey it’s a problematic rationale to put out there as reason to “go for it!”

3 Likes

On the one hand, as many already said, you dont NEED a Titanium yoyo. But on the other hand…

24 Likes

Top 3 all used it

7 Likes

I like it because i can make it pretty colors.

11 Likes

But what is money really?

Perhaps we need to open our minds and our wallets…

Buy.
Buy more.
Buy more now.
Buy more now please.

4 Likes