Titanium becoming Aluminum????

I saw Titanium pens and pencils a few hours ago.
That got me thinking. I looked online and found several titanium item. I feel like titanium has been making an appearance everywhere. Even in the yoyo industry. (many ti yoyos this year)
So my real question is: Will there soon be a way to make titanium cheaper to manufacture?
A titanium yoyo costs ~$300+
Is there soon going to be a way to make that same yoyo cost ~$200 or ~$100
Will titanium mixed with another metal also come into the yoyo comunity?
Like 70% titanium?
What do you guys think, about titanium getting cheaper in the yoyo industry and in general outdoors???

There have been some pretty inexpensive titanium yo-yos lately.

The Ricochet was only $199 retail, and during a major sale, as low as $143 shipped in some places.  That’s as low as some aluminum yo-yos.  Also, the DREAM, through the campaign, was only $200 in a package deal with a plastic and aluminum included.  I think YoyoFactory has done great work recently to bridge the gap.  The Sovereign awhile back was about $180 retail.

I think the value of titanium, like most metals, will fluctuate over time.  When the cost goes down, we might luck out and see it being used more to make throws.

This site might give you an indication, but I haven’t clicked around much:

But the ricochet was undersized. And the Dream was a Kickstarter. But the Evora was $300 the citizen was $300+ the ti ger was $280.

I realize that Ricochet was undersized, but it plays less like an undersized than any other undersized that I own. It’s a beast. And, Dream was a campaign, but it was still available at that price for long enough that anyone who really wanted one at that price had plenty of opportunity to grab one. You never know what can happen in the long run.

That would be awesome if this happened.

Honestly, it’s nice having limited titanium, they won’t be exciting if they become as mainstream as aluminum.

It’s tough to machine and is hard on tooling. Even if the price fluctuates the labor will not. It’ll always be more expensive

how about 70% titanium. Cheaper and easier.

I see mercury becoming the new aluminium, actually. It has tons of practical uses and makes for some pretty great yoyo designs.

That might work well with the encapsulated carbide powder rim design

1 Like

Back in the day people said the same thing about aluminum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Imagine this. An undersized yoyo with a mercury body, outer rims made of osmium (11x more dense than 6061 aluminium), and a layer of tungsten carbide injected into the outer rims. You’d need to store it in a deep freezer so the mercury stays a solid, but it would be a pretty cool way to load a massive amount of weight on a small yoyo.

I think you just like having rare stuff :smiley:

Make it happen and I’ll be your first buyer :wink: