Is one titanium yoyo worth it when you can buy 3-4 aluminum ones for the same price?

Well, I think titanium yoyos are pretty neat, but not so much so that I am itching to have lots of them. I already have a TiRROX, which I like a lot, and I feel that if I’m going to spend big $$$ on another titanium yoyo, it would have to be something pretty legendary, like a TiDream or TiWalker.

2 Likes

IMNSHO, you’re being misled by some very loud but minority positions there, ascribing a mystical level of significance to a particular Ti yoyo.

On the other hand, I do agree with the general sentiment that money spent on Titanium is generally better spent on 3 different bimetal or monometals, for sure. Design beats material, every time, all day every day.

4 Likes

The minority may be loud, but at least it is speaking. I’ve heard more glowing praise for those two titanium throws than any others. If that doesn’t paint an accurate picture, then I invite the rest of the community to paint a more accurate one for us. After all, I can only go on the information I have on hand.

2 Likes

I think the superior advice is to avoid titanium, in favor of the same budget getting you more diversity in designs.

I have like ~10 titaniums and I feel no more compelled to pick those up than any other metal yoyo I own. (Although I do feel rather strongly that wood and plastic are generally inferior to metals.)

2 Likes

I tend to agree that, by and large, the value just isn’t there for titanium throws. But I also agree that everyone should have at least one if they can afford one. I have one, and I really like it, and that pretty much scratches my titanium itch, and so if I’m going to even bother getting a second one, I’d want it to be mighty special. 'Cuz otherwise I’d rather spend that money on some more really good monometals.

1 Like

Agreed, one is good, so you get a sense of the material. It does have a unique sound. But as far as play… it’s all about the design, not the material.

Caveat: I could see wanting a yoyo you happen to love in titanium, e.g. “I love the Shutter!” → Titanium Shutter or “I love the Cadence!” → Titanium Cadence.

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the material impact the design constraints? In other words, doesn’t titanium allow for thinner walls and more flexibility with where weight can be distributed than with alu?

1 Like

Sort of, but 7075 and 7068 have seriously blurred that line as they are much stronger than 6061 and can thus be thinner (also, bimetals…)

2 Likes

I would love to own a titanium yoyo! I just have not seen one that made me jump out of my seat. I rather not see a titanium EDGE anything unless it is done right! I think if you can combine the EDGE with the Space Cadet specs, or the Space Cadet with the Horizon’s spin cup in titanium might do it for me.

Very simple to answer that🤔

Machined Titanium is not considered radioactive.

Now on the other hand; when titanium is powderized to render it as a paint ingredient(titanium dioxide) than it is recognized as having a noticeably increased radiation level… although very slight; it is present.

Solid machined titanium cut at low speeds in a fluid cooling bath; does little to generate any chemistry that might result in pulling radiation to the metal mass.

…Where did you get your information?

As a Structural Welder and Fabricator; I personally do not deal with Titanium. But I have been studying Metallurgy for 50 years😉; and I have never been aware of that?

But then again; My metal focus isn’t specifically on metals I don’t deal with often.

Sounds interesting, regardless.

Can you provide a link?

2 Likes

Is one aluminum yoyo worth it when you can buy a week’s worth of food for the same price?

You’re thinking about it the wrong way; this is a HOBBY. By definition, it’s frivolous. How ‘worth’ it is to you depends entirely on your subjective opinion. A titanium Shutter costs about 6.5x more than its aluminum counterpart; does it play 6.5x better? No, the only real performance difference is increased spin times due to the weight distribution.

10 Likes

The material certainly does affect what you can do with weight distribution, but the only thing that it limits is rim to body weigh ratio.

Interestingly, one of the biggest limiters of weight distribution is not the material it’s people’s obsession with vibe.

There are certain shapes, widths and distributions that will not be seen in combination simply because they tend to vibrate even when they are machined properly. Manufacturers tend to shy away from these kinds of designs, but some dare to try them anyway; usually Japanese brands like Sturm Panzer and Japan Technology. In their product descriptions for certain models they even say things like ‘please understand that because of the design there is vibe. Please don’t purchase it you don’t like vibe.’

2 Likes

I’d rather a few aluminium throws rather than a titanium yoyo. Just makes more sense to me.

1 Like

Eat more Pagpag!

2 Likes

I think I’d rather take a Ti Walker to the face

3 Likes

That’s very interesting. Whenever I read that on a JPN site, I always assumed it because it was a b-grade or something of the sort. Why would a shape like that be desirable? Vibration in a spinning yoyo is a decaying oscillator that saps energy away from the rotational velocity, slowing it down. Granted, for a small amount of vibe the impact to spin times is minute, but it’s still there. I don’t see the benefit. Comfy shape?

1 Like

Japan Tech LaPua might be one of the best titanium yo-yos I’ve ever thrown. It has vibe, but played so well they released it anyway with a little warning about vibe. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Should you just buy a bunch of cheap yo-yos? Should you never buy an unresponsive wood yo-yo? Would you be better off buying several plastic yo-yos, verse one premium aluminum one?

Yo-yos are not just about performance, at least not for many of us. No matter what you say about it, Titanium is different. If you want to experience differences in the way various yo-yo play, feel, and here’s a big one for Ti- sound; then Titanium yo-yos have characteristics that are unique to them.

Maybe one would satisfy your itch, maybe not.

2 Likes

My only ti right now is a Daytona. Had one had to sell it, found another. I beat it up, and play it responsive. Had planned to do that with the one I bought new. For me it was worth it. It’s one of a few edc yoyos that I have on me. Because of the material it made it perfect for something I can try different things on and not worry if it smacks into the ground. It’s still almost completely vibe free, and has taken some pretty strong hits.

Personally I’d rather have one nice yoyo these days, then 3-4 ok yoyos. But I’ve been doing this long enough now that I know what I prefer. For someone just getting going, or only have a short(er) amount of time yo-yoing, it may not make as much sense to get a ti, the money may be better spent getting several yoyos to continue to see what your preference is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s really a personal thing.

1 Like