Ti5 by 3YO3: Bud's Review

Haha, this… I ordered one, partially based on the few reviews scattered about, but i definitely wish they were more in depth. I know Bud in particular owns just about every YYR and Ti yoyo made, so would have been nice to just hear a simple “it’s the best i’ve played” comment if that was the case, but oh well, i’ll let everyone know by next week, just hope i don’t regret it…

You won’t regret it.

If you do, contact me, I could use another :wink:

This thing plays like a dream. It is the smoothest of the smooth. Landon has very high standards on the specifications for his bearing seat… and he also took the time to properly match halves on this newest creation. The result is a yoyo that is incredibly smooth. I have owned/played well over 100 metal throws and I can only think of one that was as smooth as my Ti5. (it was a specific Gen-Yo 5* v2 - the only other yoyo I’ve owned that seemed like it wasn’t even spinning at the end of the string)

As for the play - it’s not like many other yoyos. Being that it’s titanium allows for crazier weight distribution. It plays very deliberate. I think the weight was definitely put in the right place. It’s quick to react to your motions - but at the same time it doesn’t feel very light. I think it plays slightly heavier than the specs would make you think. It certainly does not feel like a 64.5g aluminum yoyo usually feels. It’s easy to bounce around from string to string, but still has a somewhat center-weighted feel to it.

I think comparing it to a Ti Walker isn’t too much of a stretch. Although the weigh distribution is not nearly the same, the size and material specifications are about as close as you can get to the Ti5. Ti Walker stretches a little more weight out to the rim… while the Ti5 keeps more of the weight right in the middle. Even though they are of similar mass, the Ti Walker feels lighter and faster on the string than the Ti5. Example: when I do something like a seasick, the Ti Walker feels a little too quick… it’s zippy and can get out of control if I don’t intentionally slow it down. The Ti5 is completely under control. It can still handle going fast if I push it, but it doesn’t want to be quick just on it’s own (I hope that makes sense).

If you really like a super heavy feeling/playing yoyo, I would recommend going with the 2012 Oxy Ti. If you don’t necessarily like playing with a defined calm and slow flow, I highly recommend the Ti5.

Also, it performs surprisingly good finger grinds.

If you can afford it, I would not hesitate in purchasing a Ti5. I can assure you-- you will not regret it!

(basically, you should buy the Ti5 while you still can… it plays great and it will last you forever)

3 Likes

Nathan! You’re more professional than that. The complaint lacks the tact of the polite question. Yes. The Ti5 is the best playing titanium yoyo I’ve had the pleasure to throw. You’re gonna love yours.

And I don’t know you, YoyoGeezer, but I know you aren’t a very thorough reader, given the excerpt you saw as my only description of the Ti5’s play. Keep reading before you speak.

Not everyone can extract information from my writing. I aim my words at those who can. Yet, I’m glad to answer any respectful questions. Hint: If the Ti5 played like some other yoyo, I would have said so. :wink:

Hey, YoYoGeezer, wasn’t it obvious, if you read the whole review, that this is one amazing yoyo?  I appreciate fine writing, and really like AttyBud’s descriptions.  If you wanted particular characteristics, I’m sure that asking the questions more politely would get you the information you are after. It seems obvious that the review has at least intrigued you to that level.

[quote]OK, so how is this helpful? It might sound cool - but what information is being delivered?
How does the yoyo play on the throw? How does it play in the air? On the string? Does it feel heavy? How is the weight distributed? Comparisons?Huh?
[/quote]
I’ve never seen AttyBud be anything but helpful when asked a respectful question.  In fact, AttyBud’s review actually contains a lot of valuable information, for the thinking reader.

1. The Ti5 hits the end of a throw with sound punctuation. “I threw the Ti5, and it sang a frequency in the key of F.”  As the time between a throw and a trick or combination is a mere moment, little more information about its play “on throw” is necessary.
  1. The Ti5 plays fast – not heavy!  “It cut through the air - through my longest combo.  Twice.”
  2. REALLY fast and graceful through the air! “Accelerated through the end like a Jack Russel terrier, as if to say, ‘Again please?’”  (if you don’t know, Jack Russell’s are really zippy, energetic, and athletic little dogs!  They spend 90% of their playtime in the air.)
  3. Leaving the physics up to Landon, AttyBud tells us the Ti5 spins a really long time. “Spintime long as all of those, once thought to be my finest throws.”
  4. AttyBud indicates that, during string play, the Ti5 remains responsive to a player’s adjustment – something for which we can thank Landon, who we can presume understands the physics of WHY. “Controlled by subtle in-play tweaking.”
  5. The catch zone is wide enough to help, at least a little, on an inaccurate throw.  And the Ti5’s design efficiency lets it store enough momentum, once thrown, to accommodate tight binds.  “Snap binding!  Perfect catch zone!” ,
  6. The Ti5 is AttyBud’s new favorite throw or, at least, one he would like to add to his carry rotation, mindful as we all are that he keeps 40 throws in a Pelican case, and duplicates of those he carries. “I wish that I had two of these.”

If you didn’t glean all of this from AttyBud’s writing, try to read more deeply.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen AttyBud be anything but helpful when asked a respectful question.  In fact, AttyBud’s review actually contains a lot of valuable information, for the thinking reader.

1. The Ti5 hits the end of a throw with sound punctuation. “I threw the Ti5, and it sang a frequency in the key of F.”  As the time between a throw and a trick or combination is a mere moment, little more information about its play “on throw” is necessary.
  1. The Ti5 plays fast – not heavy!  “It cut through the air - through my longest combo.  Twice.”
  2. REALLY fast and graceful through the air! “Accelerated through the end like a Jack Russel terrier, as if to say, ‘Again please?’”  (if you don’t know, Jack Russell’s are really zippy, energetic, and athletic little dogs!  They spend 90% of their playtime in the air.)
  3. Leaving the physics up to Landon, AttyBud tells us the Ti5 spins a really long time. “Spintime long as all of those, once thought to be my finest throws.”
  4. AttyBud indicates that, during string play, the Ti5 remains responsive to a player’s adjustment – something for which we can thank Landon, who we can presume understands the physics of WHY. “Controlled by subtle in-play tweaking.”
  5. The catch zone is wide enough to help, at least a little, on an inaccurate throw.  And the Ti5’s design efficiency lets it store enough momentum, once thrown, to accommodate tight binds.  “Snap binding!  Perfect catch zone!” ,
  6. The Ti5 is AttyBud’s new favorite throw or, at least, one he would like to add to his carry rotation, mindful as we all are that he keeps 40 throws in a Pelican case, and duplicates of those he carries. “I wish that I had two of these.”

If you didn’t glean all of this from AttyBud’s writing, try to read more deeply.  
[/quote]
You are kidding …right? Fine writing?

This is like getting some 12 year old to decipher a text message. This is plainly ridiculous “LOL”.

Yes, I can read between the lines quite well. That is why I did not buy a Ti5. Your words; lack of words and descriptions, spoke volumes about this yoyo.

“Not everyone can extract information from my writing”

That sort of sums up my objection. It is a review. Not a coded message to spies during wartime.

Hint: If the Ti5 does not play like any other yoyo - then say so - and why. It is a review.

Holy cow!

First, Persistence, you’ve got it! You could work for Cliff’s Notes!

Second, Yoyogeezer, young fellow, I write in a way that pleases me. If the occasional crybaby wails 'cause he wants to be spoon fed - that’s a risk I’m willing to take.

I could say I’m sorry you don’t understand. That would be a lie. Every time I write, I know there’ll be one guy (perhaps more!) who won’t get it. I mean, usually he’ll read my entire post before he speaks. Heh.

It’s not the end of the world. This simply means that you are not included in my target audience. But, perhaps, try not to lash out with that kneejerk disrespect you habitually abuse. (I looked at your other posts - and I see you have a bad habit of spewing disrespect.)

You see, regurgitating specs, and guessing at various structural design effects - I’ll leave that brand of review writing to you.

Now, Landon Balk was good enough to provide us this masterpiece. And I’m certain he understands the physics, and knows why this unique throw plays like no other.

Me? I choose to paint a picture, of my sense of discovery and playful wonder, when I throw the incredible Ti5! And, I have fun communicating pointed observations to those who will take the time to read. Well. Read well.

And, again, I am always glad to answer respectfully posed questions! :slight_smile:

To those of you who try this fabulous throw, enjoy!

B

1 Like

Ouch that packaging is retarded. Was Landon seriously bong hit high ?
Id be pissed if I spent nearly 400.00 o a yoyo and got it sent to me in some grungy $.99 electrical outlet box, that I already have 10 of in my shop.
Yoyo looks beautiful, packaging is a joke. Seriously dude, who popped the cherry on tha idea to sell such a beautifully machined yoyo is some crappy ugly little tin box.
As for…

Do you honestly believe that ? Its a yoyo, it goes round and round. I doubt very highly that many of the guys designing yoyos that we throw, can even begin to understand the physics that are going on in a yoyo throw.
Now perhaps Landon does, but I think most guys are just designing yoyos that appeal to them and play well.
Yoyos, you must admit are pretty simple in design
A few months back when the Chief was introduced people, a lot of them, said the same thing about it, ‘best throw ever’, hand down no contenders… then the Code 2, before them it was C3 and the Berserker, and before that it was all the VsNyyC yo’s, and I am sure many I have forgotten to mention.
And before that the bla bla bla bla bla.
The point being that every few months WITHOUT FAIL there is a newly released yoyo that ‘outplays’ everything that came before it.
If you seriously believe that we need to talk real estate.
A few months ago I stopped frequenting yoyo forums, what a joy.
Yoyo forums, as I came to find after a while of frequenting them, are quite anti yoyo, yoyo is not meant, or perhaps it is simply that there is not much to be gained by talking incessantly about it, for years on end blabbing about the same subject over and over, ‘how do I clean a bearing bla bla bla bla’.
I throw more yoyo every day than I ever have, but I could care less what yoyo is about to be released, because it makes no difference to how I throw the yoyo I have.
Im perfectly happy to throw my SupNova and Chief,and I honestly do not think there will ever come a day when these yo’s are incapable of making me happy.
In short its your life, live it how you like, but consider for a moment there is much more to be gained from yoyo by throwing it, as opposed to pontificating about throwing it.
So go throw a yoyo, and have fun.

Objectively, it’s no secret that a $20 plastic can take you to a world-class level of play.

Those of us who own a Ti5 didn’t buy it with the cheap-skate, “cheap works,” mentality. It’s a collector’s piece, and it plays extraordinarily well for being in that category. Most collector’s type yoyos are mediocre, the Ti5 is fantastic.

You wouldn’t spend $350 on a yoyo unless you are into collecting yoyos. That much is obvious. I can make a strong argument that spending even $100 on a yoyo is stupid. Really, about $20-$30 will do fine.

Also, you have to have an appreciation for titanium. If you don’t care about titanium yoyos, then the Ti5 isn’t targeting you as a buyer. It’s for people with money to burn who want a nice yoyo, not for your average player.

Considering that right now, the Ti5 is not only the best titanium yoyo available new for sell, it’s also the only one… it can look damn appealing. You could say Sovereign or even TiWalker were cheaper. True, but I don’t see any of them for sell new.

Want a titanium yoyo? Ti5 is it. Want the BEST titanium yoyo? Ti5 is it. Can’t stomach paying $350 for a yoyo? Don’t worry about it. You can live without it. You can play yoyo all day without it. I wouldn’t want to go back to being without one.

Everyone who’s got one loves it. No complaints whatsoever. Either get one or don’t. And if you can’t afford it, I must recommend that you don’t get one. Money isn’t what it’s about though. Put it this way… some people love expensive wine. They can get $10 wine instead of $300 wine, but their tastes are sophisticated and their budgets allow for the pricier stuff. Ti5 is like that. It’s a luxury item, make no mistake about it.

For people complaining about the packaging… you’re missing the point. You aren’t going to play with the damn package. Throw the yoyo.

1 Like

Yes.