YYR Liminal Autoscopy Review - BenM36 Review Thread

Hey everyone,

I’ll be posting reviews in this thread. Please let me know if you have any feedback!

Since no review is complete without an arbitrary rating of some kind - yoyos will be scored out of 5.

This score will be a combination of raw performance, how well they serve their intended purpose (i.e. slimlines and floaty organic will not automatically be a 0/5 or 1/5 because they’re not as stable as bimetals), and my personal taste.

Previous Scores:

5/5

YYR Liminal Autoscopy - 5

4-4.5/5

C3 Super Scintillator - 4

3-3.5/5

YoYoFactory H.O.T - 3

2-2.5/5

None

1-1.5/5

YoYoFactory Too H.O.T - 1.5

0/5

None

11 Likes

C3YoYoDesign - Super Scintillator

Specifications:
Diameter (mm) 58.02
Width (mm) 58.2
Weight (g) 65.2
Bearing Size C
Response System 19mm pads
Introduction

My feelings about C3 have always been somewhat complicated. In spirit, they’ve always been one of my favorite brands - their team contains some of my favorite players, and I really vibe with the way that they present themselves. However, this has not always carried over to my experience with the yoyos themselves, although I really wanted to like every C3 I’ve played. I owned several of their older models over the years before I stopped yoyoing - some of the ones I liked include the Trident, P.wave, Halo, Sceptre, H5xChief, Movitation, M.O.V.E and Token, and some of their throws that were not a satisfying experience at all include the original Master Galaxy (did not feel like it spun even close to long enough), H5 (heavy but for no reason), Electric Flash (see comments on the H5), Di Base (see comments on the Electric Flash) and original Krown (although I’d be willing to give that one another try - my main issue was that it was super slippy on a throw which may have been a pad issue).

Fast forward a few years and we have the Super Scintillator, which is what we’re here today to discuss. I’ve never liked super wide yoyos, but seeing enough Instagram reels on another store’s page of Rei Iwakura doing cool stuff with it influenced me into becoming set on at least trying this yoyo at Worlds.

Specs and Pre-Throw Characteristics

The Super Scintillator features a hollow stainless steel ring (which I’d be super curious to see the cross section of) and a polycarbonate outer rim. I had always thought trimaterial yoyos were kind of a dumb gimmick, and I think the “safety” selling point is, at best, exaggerated. However, I’ve come around on them - there’s potential for interesting developments in weight distribution, although now that I’ve played a few I mainly just enjoy the appearance and tactile feel of PC rims. The version I have, according to the description, is 65.2g due to the coloring of the stainless steel, while the raw SS versions are 64.9g. After playing the lighter version (albeit very briefly), I’ll say that they play exactly the same. If you’re able to notice a difference in play, I’d suggest getting into wine tasting.

from left to right - C3 Super Scintillator, W1LD Wildnerness 7075, C3 Galaxy Diver 7075 v2

At 58.2mm wide, which eclipses the diameter by 0.18mm, the width of the Super Scintillator combined with its pronounced H-shape profile makes it quite jarring to hold, especially for someone with smaller hands like myself. Flick restarts are my default, but the wide catch zone and (relatively) narrow rims make this super unwieldy so I’ve switched yo snap starting it. Discomfort aside, I don’t think changing the profile would make sense when considering what this yoyo is going for, which is to have as much catch zone and grind area as possible.

Play

Once it’s out of your hand, the experience throwing the Super Scintillator becomes much more familiar. It doesn’t feel heavy in the same way that super-rimweighted bimetals do, but there is a degree of kickback on a throw; I’d guess that this comes at least partially from the response. My one gripe would be that the stock teal pads are a little too grippy for my preference (although not enough for me to switch them out). The response pads do not protrude and cause string rub (which is my #1 yoyo setup pet peeve), but I’ve cracked my knuckles pretty good a few times while playing with the Super Scintillator - I’m sure this can at least partially be attributed to user error.

I’d describe the pace of play as agile - it definitely doesn’t have the top end speed that typical fast yoyos do (for reference, my benchmark for speed is the Anglam 1 Remaster), but the Super Scintillator moves well for its size and it never feels like you’re forcing it to do anything. I think this is due to its volume to weight ratio - while 65 grams doesn’t sound exceedingly light, when factoring in how large this A good analogy would be the weight classes in Mario Kart - I’d say the Super Scintillator would fall firmly into the Medium category. It doesn’t lack power or ever feel like it doesn’t spin long enough, feels pleasantly light on the string, but doesn’t fall into the “floaty/designed for fun” or “power-driven performance” archetypes.

The stability of this yoyo, despite the light weight for its dimensions, feels like a natural product of its width (which makes sense if I remember my rotational inertia principles from physics class correctly). While stability was not designed to be the primary selling point, the Super Scintillator is not unstable by any means, and can handle sloppy string hits without being knocked off axis. I feel like the intention of the design was to be a canvas of sorts for unconventional tricks. Grinds (on any body part that doesn’t touch the SS rims) and fingerspins definitely stand out, as the beadblast and flat fingerspin area make these tricks unbelievably easy and give you the spintime to experiment and get creative. The extreme catch zone provides a pretty wide margin of error when attempting slacks and body tricks that require awkward body contortions or string hits you can’t see (such as neck tricks and hops behind the back). The width can get in the way when working with tighter/more intricate mounts, but this shouldn’t really come as a surprise and while I don’t believe in “tech yoyos” this was clearly not the design focus of the Super Scintillator.

Closing Thoughts

All in all, the Super Scintillator is a fun yoyo that fills its role perfectly. As someone who definitely doesn’t have the technical chops to be bothered consistently by the width, I love it as a go-to throw that allows me to do standard tricks without a whole lot of focus, or gives me a “training wheels” amount of catch zone to practice more acrobatic moves. I definitely don’t think the shape will appeal to everybody, but if the Super Scintillator piques your interest I highly recommend it.

4/5

3 Likes

Throwback Double Header Review:

YoYoFactory - H.O.T

Specifications
Diameter (mm) 56.4
Width (mm) 45.7
Weight (g) 67.3
Bearing Size C

and Too H.O.T

Specifications
Diameter (mm) 56.4
Width (mm) 44.6
Weight (g) 67.0
Bearing Size C
Introduction

The YoYoFactory H.O.T, released in 2012, came out right in the thick of what I consider to be YYF’s golden age, joining a lineup which contained during that era some of my favorite YYFs of all time, such as the Catalyst, Super G, and MVP/MVP 2. Harold Owens III, hot off one of my personal GOAT freestyles at Worlds, debuted the H.O.T at 2012 US Nationals, taking third place after winning the contest the previous year. Twelve year old me desperately wanted to get my hands on one of my favorite players’ signature yoyo, and ended up owning a couple during different parts of my initial stint with yoyoing.

Ten years later and armed with an adult’s disposable income, I wanted to reacquire some of my old favorites. I also ended up picking up the H.O.T’s sequel, the Too H.O.T, at Worlds this year, which I had never played during its initial release in 2014.

The H.O.T sports one of the most pronounced organic bell shapes I’ve seen on a yoyo. There is not really any nuance to its profile; there are no edges or cuts in the profile itself, and the catch zone flairs out into a rim that feels sharper than you’d expect. The cup is also very smooth, save for a small axle bump, and the engravings do a lot for this yoyo aesthetically, especially the ones on the lip.

The Too H.O.T is slightly narrower and features a slightly more angular profile, and the combination of these two traits result in it feeling less organic and more like a traditional H-shape yoyo in the hand. The new logo looks cheap and generic in my opinion, and the yoyo’s overall appearance is less refined than its predecessor. Factoring into this as well is the finish on the Too H.O.T, which offers similar performance on grinds but doesn’t feel or look as nice.

from left to right - YoYoFactory H.O.T, YoYoFactory Too H.O.T

Play

Released before the idea of the competition bimetal hit the mainstream, the H.O.T was marketed as a “performance yoyo catered to Harold’s style of play”. How does it stack up twelve years after its release?

Its 45.7mm width falls to about standard by today’s benchmark, making it a little ahead of its time in that regard. I’d describe the H.O.T as on the solid side of things, but does not feel sluggish and responds well enough to direction changes. This results in a pleasant string presence, and the yoyo navigates through rolls and string formations quite easily. The weight distribution also makes regens easy compared to yoyos with similar widths. While it can go fast, it doesn’t feel like it really wants to be pushed. I think this is where the H.O.T shows its age the most; compared to modern competition monometals its stability doesn’t quite match up, even though I wouldn’t categorize it as unstable. The wide catch zone and low walls lend themselves well to horizontal play, although when pushed to the limits you may notice a smidge less stability as well. The one other thing I noticed was that the lip of the yoyo can feel a little sharp on the catch. While this isn’t something I personally care about, it was noticeable at times, especially on horizontal catches.

We then move onto the Too H.O.T, which boldly asks the question: what if we took everything about the original H.O.T… and made it a little bit worse? Despite having virtually the same weight, the Too H.O.T feels like a brick on the string relative to the H.O.T, and this extra weight did not translate into any noticeable increase in stability or power. While the heavier string presence of the Too H.O.T made it a little more natural to play fast, it did not feel responsive to changes in direction. The rims felt equally, if not a little sharper on the catch. But hey - at least they added a thumb grind lip!

Closing Thoughts

Harold Owens III remains as one of my favorite players of all time, and I’m happy to report that his signature yoyo still holds up in terms of performance to this day. The Too H.O.T felt less like a sequel and more like YYF changing the design to reduce the price point as much as possible. I never got one when it originally released because I thought it was ugly, and it’s good to know I made the right choice.

H.O.T - 3/5

Too H.O.T - 1.5/5

4 Likes

yoyorecreation - Liminal Autoscopy

Specifications:
Diameter (mm) 54
Width (mm) 47
Weight (g) 66.5
Bearing Size C
Introduction

yoyorecreation has always had always had a certain mystique to me. Between their rarity in the US, exorbitant prices and pure-performance branding and design, old YYR yoyos always give a distinct playing experience. The Blink, 6ix, and Mr. Butcher are all some of my all-time favorites, with many others being personal grails to this day.

The Liminal Autoscopy made its first public appearance a few weeks ago at Worlds, used by seven-time 3A world champion Haijime Miura during his highly anticipated followup to his 2023 performance. With Worlds 2024 being the first contest I’ve attended since 2016 and my first as an adult, my anticipation was through the roof. Unfortunately, the new Autoscopy’s debut did not go as planned, with Haijime having three separate switch outs during his routine. Seeing this in person, you could feel the audience’s collective gasp at this uncharacteristic performance, but it was cool to see the crowd rally in support of him. I can’t wait to see what he does in 2025, as the tricks we were able to witness were unprecedented even compared to last year. Personally, I’d prefer a risky freestyle that might not run clean every time over something more conservative. Even if not completely successful, there is admiration to be had for someone who pushes the boundaries and aspires for greatness.

The first thing that stands out about this yoyo is its uncharacteristic dimensions. Listed at 47mn wide, the Liminal Autoscopy represents a departure from the traditionally tall, narrow yoyos used in 3A (for reference, the Autoscopy is 43mm wide and the Blur Autoscopy is 40mm wide - I haven’t played either of them). Its 54mm diameter also falls on the smaller side of things, especially compared to modern yoyos. I personally prefer 52-54mm diameters so I love this, but it’s something to consider before purchasing. I have zero experience with 3A, but I’ll be interested to see if this is the beginning of a new trend in 3A design, or if the Liminal Autoscopy is an outlier designed to push the boundaries (much like its signature player).

This yoyo features a trimaterial construction, with a 7075 (or at least I’m assuming) aluminum body, stainless steel rims and a plastic outer ring. The yoyo comes raw, which I’m typically not a fan of due to the potential for oxidation, but the finish is surprisingly grind-friendly and I like feeling the machining marks haha. The wide H-shape is extremely comfortable, especially with its slightly smaller than average diameter.

from left to right - YYR Draupnir, YYR Liminal Autoscopy, YYF Miracle

Even bringing up the term “YYR vibe” might date me, but the Liminal Autoscopy is dead smooth out of the box and requires no tuning. I finally understand the “durability benefits” of this style of plastic rim, as I’ve hit other trimaterial yoyos on my apartment floor and they’ve remained dead smooth while traditional outer rim bimetals have not after similar impacts. One other small thing to note is that it has a slightly higher wall than a lot of the zero wall competition yoyos of today. This didn’t have any noticeable impact on play, but may be worth pointing out.

Play

The defining characteristic of the Liminal Autoscopy is its insane stability. This is especially noticeable at low RPMs; at points where with other yoyos I feel like I’d have to get out of whatever mount I’m in and bind ASAP before the spin dies out, I’m able to work through tricks and even do rejections without knocking this throw off axis. From what I understand, this is pretty typical for 3A yoyos, where spintime and stability come before everything else. However, the Liminal Autoscopy definitely doesn’t play like a more stereotypical 3A yoyo. Pacing-wise, this yoyo feels very middle of the road. It changes directions and speeds without any issues, but definitely doesn’t naturally lean towards faster play. It might come in on the “heavier” side of modern competition yoyos at 66.5 grams, but any weight it has contributes to its stability and power, and at no point does feel overly heavy or have the typical “bimetal sluggishness” - I’m guessing this is due to the wider rims allowing the SS to be distributed over a larger volume.

The one thing I noticed was the stock pads were definitely on the grippy side. I did encounter slightly more snagging than normal at first, but this didn’t impact spin time and wasn’t as noticeable as with the Super Scintillator.

Closing Thoughts

I think of the Liminal Autoscopy as a canvas - this yoyo ensures that the only limit a player faces is that of their own skill, and has the performance level to adapt to pretty much any style of player. This one took me a little bit to really appreciate, but the Liminal Autoscopy blends my personal preferences and raw traits in a way that, if I was much, much better at yoyoing and had ~400 more dollars laying around, I would pick this yoyo as my ideal competition throw.

5/5

7 Likes

I’m really enjoying the format and writing style with these reviews, they’re very thorough.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Liminal Autoscopy, I think I’ll have to cop one when a colour I like releases since those specs are right up my alley.

1 Like

I was thinking of writing a review of the Liminal Autoscopy myself. After reading yours, I do not need to. Well done review.

1 Like