Thoughts on "Made in China"

I disagree that there isn’t a difference in quality. In order to have a metal yoyo with a retail price of $40 means that something somewhere was sacrificed. Magic doesn’t exist yet so some corner or corners were cut. Could be cheap/exploited labor. Could be cheaper materials. Could be what level of tolerance is being held. Could be other things. Just be aware you aren’t getting something for nothing. Does this result in yoyos that play different? Generally not and that’s the sentiment I’m seeing in this thread. All that means is that the basic design and manufacturing principles have become standard. But that doesn’t mean the quality is the same. Performance is not the only quality metric. Ease of maintenance, feel of finish, how long they last, how smooth they are, etc.

On the topic of tolerances, the higher the tolerance, the higher manufacturing costs are because there is more labor and better equipment needed to achieve those tolerances. If you can find a way to lower the tolerance requirement, then you can save costs. But there is always a sacrifice. To make a modern high end yoyo that is considered smooth by current standards requires holding 2 ten thousandths of an inch on the bearing post diameter and other places. This is aero-space/NASA level. It’s very expensive, difficult and timely to do this. The bearing post diameter is one of the critical dimensions on a yoyo. If it’s too small then the yoyo vibes. If it’s too tight then the player can’t get the bearing off. What is happening in Chinese yoyo manufacturing is that they are not holding the tight tolerances required for the bearing post to be correct but rather biasing the margin of error on the side of the bearing being tight because the yoyo will ship smooth. There is a reason that companies who make high end yoyos in China also sell bearing removal tools. The hidden downside to this besides needing this tool to service your bearing is that ultimately when you force the bearing off of a tight post you are also damaging the post and eventually this leads to the yoyo being vibey.

Some other differences:
*At companies like One Drop and CLYW you can talk to the actual person who makes your yoyo and measures and cares for every half
*Before China was making high end yoyos, it was the small companies who were figuring out the designs and manufacturing methods that China now uses. So it’s not just “patriotic” to support these companies, but it’s more than that. You are supporting those that are responsible for the current state of things.

I think what’s missing from this discussion is that the high-end yoyo market is not the same as the electronics or other huge markets. It’s really small and still has small manufacturers and comparing it to those mass markets where you don’t still have a choice is not accurate. Currently you still have that choice but when you purchase you are essentially voting and perhaps someday that choice won’t exist anymore in this market.

It’s up to you to create the market you want. It really depends if you find these differences to be valuable or not. I’m interested to see what happens and it is my hope that our amazing customers continue to support what we do. Thank you to those that understand what we put into our work and give us love.

22 Likes