This Year In Reading (Or Audiobooks)

Hey fellow readers! I also read mostly manga and comic books this year, I’m just a big kid:

Fantastic Four Epic Collection - The classics! Starting at issue #1 featuring Marvel’s first family. I’m now in the beginning of Volume 8 (#126-146): “Annihilus Revealed”. This has been great for me, especially since we could never afford to read these as kids, but even at $45/volume (and oftentimes cheaper, they go sale quick!) it’s cheaper than trying to collect individual issues.

Marvel Two-In-One Essentials - More classics, featuring Aunt Petunia’s bashful blue eyed idol of millions, Ben Grimm aka The Thing! This time in extra affordable black and white. These are the best for taking on long road trips or flights. Just finished Vol2, so I have to take a break until I catch up with the Fantastic Four (come on Marvel, print more Epic Collection volumes!!!) If you’re lucky enough to find one at your local comic shop, they can oftentimes be had for $10-$15 (look for other classic Marvel titles in Essentials too, I’m currently collecting Iron Man as well).

Venom: Carnage Unleashed - A few collections featuring our two favorite sinister symbiote sinners. A must read for true believers of madness and destruction!

Sakamoto Days - THE best hitman retires from the mob to start a family, and run a conbini (convenience store). Oh yeah, he got fat too…but he’s still the best! Absolutely hilarious and good family values.

My Hero Academia - Toxic fanbase? Idk, maybe…but the books are great! Even if you’ve been watching the anime, the manga is a must read. It’s Japanese X-Men with a less toxic leader who fails to micromanage every superhuman.

My Hero Academia Vigilantes - Takes place a few years before the events of MHA, following a group of heroes that operate outside of the licensing system…vigilantes! Also contains a good bit of backstory surrounding All Might, the return of All for One, Eraser Head, Present Mic, and their long lost friend.

Samurai 8 - I read Volume 1 and couldn’t find 2, then it got cancelled…then they made more? I gotta go find the other volumes for next year. Almost gives me a Samurai 7 vibe (intentional, maybe?) Interested to see where they take the story.

The Myth of Normal by Dr. Gabor Mate MD with Daniel Mate - This book has verified so many things I believe in this world. The need for self compassion and healing. The destructive and health denegrating results of unresolved trauma. The intrinsic lack of compassion in the mechanized modern healthcare system. Base human needs and a culture that denies them on every level. Basically, this books says: no, I’m not crazy…the rat race isn’t normal and the [modern capitalist Western] world truly is an atypical tribulation on our species. One that is built on generations of trauma that perpetuate the toxic world and culture we are struggling to survive in.

What’s already on my desk for next year? I got a few lined up already:

The Art of War - Somehow, I’ve never read this! Thanks Costco, best book sales sometimes.

Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Another “how have I never read this book?” I even found a nice hardcover copy that includes the rest of the series!

Chainsaw Man - Picked up Volume 1, this anime slaps! (despite the 3d animation, but it kinda fits…somehow.)

TMNT The Last Ronin - Wife read it, now it’s in my pile to read!

Cheers to 2023!!!

3 Likes

i read a good amount this year but the highlighs were blood meridian (twice), every William Gibson book, and 2666

1 Like

Sakamoto Days has been the first new shounen manga to actually grab me since the old days of the big three. I didn’t include it on my list since most shounen in general is pretty far outside of what I normally read, but I’ve seriously enjoyed it so far.

I guess for anybody else, that’s a pretty glowing recommendation for it lol.

1 Like

Some of the titles I finished this year were these. Some of them I started years ago but never finished and decided to go through and finally finish some of my backlog.

Orson Scott Card: The worthing Saga
Orson Scott Card: Capitol
Peter Swanson: Her every fear
Peter Swanson: Before she knew him
Peter Swanson: The girl with a clock for a heart
Peter Swanson: Nine Lives
Brian Lumley: Necroscope II
Alex Finley: Every Last Fear
Edward W. Robertson: The White Tree (this book took me 10 years to finish LOL!!! I would pick it up, read a few chapters, go onto other things, etc. etc. A few months ago I decided to fully commit and finally finish it for good!)
Joe Abercrombe: Best Served Cold.

I know there’s a few more but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.