Things you wish you had known sooner

Just a random thing I have been thinking about. What are some things you wish you had known about yo-yoing sooner.

I wish I learned earlier that it is very important to wear a black shirt when competing. It makes sense, but I hadn’t thought about or noticed it until after my first contest.

6 Likes

Wish I knew that the original Freehand would be worth over $100 each even for the common ones.

14 Likes
  • Collecting can easily get out of hand as there will always be something new and shiny that catches your eye – pace yourself and buy with purpose.

• Also, if you suck at throwing tricks with a $50 yoyo, then most likely you will still suck at throwing tricks with a $100, $150, $200, $250, and $300 yoyo. However, I’m hopeful a $400 throw will unlock my true potential!!

24 Likes

Try a little bit of every style and spend money on nicer strings.

16 Likes

I second the quality strings comment.

I wish I knew how much a good string mattered early on. I would buy the cheapest I could find, and thought it silly to buy an expensive string.

Now I can’t stand the cheap cotton strings I used to buy.

11 Likes

Just because it weighs heavy doesn’t mean it will play heavy

Don’t be overtly picky about shapes being unique or comfortable, just get what looks cool

Don’t let what’s “popular” dictate what you do and don’t like

fr I skipped on so many yoyos and stuff for YEARS that I own now that I love.

12 Likes

Dont buy any yoyos just because of the hype, or because they are a status symbol I bought 4-5 SFyoyos because of the hype and now I only enjoy the Plstc and the motive.

7 Likes

If you buy a yoyo or get one in a trade and don’t immediately love it, give yourself some time to get to know it before trading it off.

6 Likes

cop-out answer maybe, but… nothing?
the journey has been amazing and i wouldn’t trade any of the naive illusions i started with in the name of “more efficient development”.

i guess i wish i’d known yo-yo drama is a waste of energy, and just to be kinder and more understanding.

16 Likes

Yeah, that’s life in general for me. Before figuring it out, lots of it sucked, and lots of it was wonderful.

I wouldn’t trade away that which sucked, because it was an integral part of figuring myself out, and it makes the wonderful that much sweeter.

6 Likes

Do not buy junk.

2 Likes

I wish I knew about bulk yoyo string sooner. When I had first started really yoyoing in 2005 I ended up mailing duncan $1.50? for a 5 pack of cotton yoyo string.

4 Likes