Things I can use as a counterweight

Hey! I want to get into 5a yoyoing but I don’t have a counterweight, and I do not exactly want to buy one yet…
does anyone know anything I can use that is an everday household item that I can use as one?

3 Likes

If you live in CONUS I can send you a couple

3 Likes

I don’t, thanks for the offer though.

2 Likes

Just drill a hole through something then slip your string through the hole and then through a small bead and tie a knot. If you can find something that is roughly 1/5 the weight of your yoyo that’s ideal.

3 Likes

Really anything can be a cw. Maybe not a pair of scissors but if the string can be tied to it it’ll work.

Scissors or knife as counterweight sounds like a new style entirely almost! Not only is it dangerous you risk cutting the string and sending everything flying. Good fun.

1 Like

do you think this would work?

3 Likes

Yeah. Put guitar picks in the clip to adjust the weight as needed.

3 Likes

Ah this thread brings me back to when I used an eraser to learn 5a. Forgot about that

4 Likes

Clay brick for 5a. Really toughen those knuckles up

1 Like

Bouncy balls make decent counterweights from what I’ve heard. Just drill a hole and you’re good to go.

3 Likes

I mean I’ve seen folks use acorns, pine cones, ball of dry playdoh or clay, erasers various things as long as they had the weight and aren’t like hard or painful to hit yourself with.

2 table top D6 dice with holes drilled is a nice weight. Even 2 normal size dice would be ok. On the heavy side though. 2 table top D6’s are real close

A small eraser works the best