DIY 5A Counterweights?

I want to try my hand at 5a but was wondering if theres a common DIY was to test before ordering any counterweights? If so, what are people using?

3 Likes

I’ve heard using a rubber duck can do wonders for 5a play

5 Likes

You can really use everything. Average weight is 10-13g and size maybe 2-3 cm, but this does not hinder you from using anything else :grin:. Most beginners use e.g. rubber/bouncy balls or a dice, just drill a hole and done.

4 Likes

Do you neeeed to drill the hole in to use a d6? Like can I use a longer string and just tie it like it’s Christmas :gift: ?

2 Likes

I’ve been learning 5A the past couple days. I’d bet that synching down your finger loop around a dice wouldn’t work for long. I could see the string sliding off pretty easily. But you could probably do that and then drip a little superglue on it and it would hold.

2 Likes

If you have access to a rotary too you can cut a groove around the perimeter to put your slip knot around.

Some people might disagree with this, but don’t use anything too big, and don’t use objects that have pronounced lips that could catch onto the string or your clothing, or any pointy bits that could hurt you or things around you. Dice, erasers, and rubber balls are good options.

Just because you can use any object doesn’t mean you should, the weirder you get the harder learning will be. Just because a good player uses a rubber duck doesn’t mean it’s a good way to learn as a beginner.

12 Likes

A true lesson to live by.

5 Likes

I’ve been using ones just like this for 14 years.

Just a groove filed into a die with a Leatherman tool.
I have never had it slip off in use.

11 Likes

I spy MtG spindown!

6 Likes

Oooo I never even considered whittling in a groove. Definitely going to try that.

3 Likes

There are 3D print files available for free too on thingverse and normally your local library will have a 3D printer these days you can use for free

3 Likes

Boring :joy:

I am happy to help 5A players within the EU with some free printed ones since I just have a lot designs I did the last years. Shipping overseas is like around 8€.

8 Likes

Yeah you do. A bit bigger than a chessex d20 but still might be too light for some going by weights in this thread.

1 Like

Yeah I like more around 11g but those aren’t too bad around 9g. But they look so cool! That’s one of the things I love about my Nicky dunk the D20 cw

6 Likes

I have a lot of d20s i could try this with!

Love this!

1 Like

I live in Australia, they look so epic though!

1 Like

Just trace a line around it with a sharpie first so you don’t wander off center like I did on this green one. You will have an easier time filing on the edges first and flats second. Go shallow all the way around first and then deepen the groove to the thickness of your string.
I have had the string come off in my pocket a couple times but tucking the CW in the cup of the yoyo when pocketing it seems to mitigate the problem.

2 Likes

Ive made a groove, i was wondering how to attach it to fhe string, do you use specific knots?

1 Like