There's no need for a women's division at worlds

cough cough standing right here dudes cough cough

1 Like

haha. Feel free to give your opinion on the topic. I was hoping for a response from a girl yoyoer.

You forget that she’s also there for the teenage boys to drool over. (I’d be willing to bet MORE than to bring in other females. )

The real question here is, do women have to compete in their own division? Are they barred from the big group? Do they get 1-5A or just 1A? Are women allowed to compete in AP?

From what I’ve heard, they can compete in the major divisions and in the women’s division.

I haven’t been competing. But, I have questions, before I fully chime in on this one.

Are the females in that division seeded, from each nation’s best female player? How many women typically compete in that division?

As far as I know, with the relatively small number of female players in the division, everybody just goes straight to finals freestyles. Pretty much how it usually works at the Sydney yoyo competition down here as well (for the main draw). We have prelims but they only serve as a warmup and a chance to shake out the nerves. Scores don’t count at all except to determine the order of play for the finals.

Yuki

I truly think for the women’s division isn’t a bad thing theres still competition…just on a smaller level due to fewer female yoyoers. Plus it gives a chance for the women of the Yoyo community to be recognized. Kind of how the best female player award there is at nationals which with these days is mostly overlooked as a accomplishment. Plus everyone wants a role model it males it easier to distinguish for some younger players to look up to. So what yuki said earlier is very true a women’s division champion is a good thing. However if there wasn’t such a bad ratio of males to females I think I there was more competition it would make it better.

3 Likes

Thank you. The best way to sum up my thoughts, is that I believe the people organizing the contest have already determined that having the division is beneficial. Just because I am unaware of the specific reasons why, does not mean I should question that decision. Especially without knowing the underlying reasons for the decision.

If I were sitting on a panel to discuss this question, there would be many more questions, than anything that we could possibly answer in this thread. Most of the answers are just a matter of opinion anyway. Some examples are:

1. Have female throwers been polled or asked if having the division is helpful to them, and whether it provides added inspiration?

2. Is yo-yoing a sport? Do males generally throw harder than females? If so, does that affect performance? Are there physical differences that pertain to yo-yoing?

3. Have females reported being intimidated by the atmosphere of a predominantly male competition?

4. Is a separate division a greater way for female yo-yoers to network among themselves on a world level?

5. Are predominantly male judges as fair to female throwers, judging them against males, as opposed to judging them among themselves?

6. Is seeing a bunch of females at the same time appealing to a majority male audience? After all, the contest is entertainment, right?

7. Are female spectators more likely to be influenced to yo-yo, after seeing a lot of women competing back to back, rather than sandwiched between a lot of male performances?

8. Are males, by virtue of social relationships with other males who yo-yo, more likely to have access to learning tools, and therefore given added encouragment that boosts their confidence?

9. Is a female division a way of recognizing that women are a minority within yo-yo, and an expression from male yo-yoers, that they welcome and appreciate female throwers?

10. After considering all of the above, is there any real or drastic inconvenience caused by making the division available? If not, what is the big deal about having it?

Maybe the division is in place by a unanimous vote, or a 4 to 5 vote, but we will never know. After trying to answer all those questions, and many more in my head, I am comfortable with the status quo. I am confident that the guys who included the division, did so for the benefit of female throwers, as a way to let them know that they are appreciated and welcomed. The division also recognizes their accomplishments.

3 Likes

To everyone who is saying it’s great for female players to get recognized, why do they deserve to be recognized? Just because they’re girls? If they deserved the recognition they would already have it, from videos or actual competitions.

This is just one perspective, but it might help some people see the value of females being recognized apart from male competitors. The fact that females are only a minority in yo-yo, is not a good thing for yo-yo, or the industry. If females being recognized, will encourage them to tell their friends how welcoming yo-yoing is, and inspire other females to take part, then maybe the female population in yo-yo will steadily grow.

It is not just about the recognition, it is about the potential results to be gained from doing so. Yo-yo is not just about individuals and showing off skills on stage most deserving of a medal or trophy. Yo-yo is an industry. For example, we’ll use YoyoExpert as an example. It is a business dependent on selling yo-yos to the public. Females are about half the entire population. If only about 10% of throwers are female, just imagine how many more people YoyoExpert could potentially sell yo-yos to, if more females were buying and throwing. So, females deserve to be recognized, because the industry is stronger with them than without them. If recognizing them in a special way helps toward that goal, it seems to me a small investment.

Anyone who makes a living in yo-yo, as a performer/demonstrator, retail, manufacturer, or whatever, will want more females throwing yo-yos. That is an easy dollar and cents reason. And sometimes, the dollar is all that needs to make sense. Encourage the women, in hopes the female population will expand, and maybe yo-yo will flourish.

2 Likes

i recognize the argument suggesting that it’s unnecessary or insulting, but i think it’s misplaced in this case. the fact that there are so few girls/women interested in yo-yoing is one of it’s most baffling attributes. the complete lack of any physical advantage for either gender would definitely argue against a separate division. obviously if you put a world champion like jen baybrook or maya nakamura in that division, they might justifiably take it as an insult. however, we’ve got to get more girls/women willing to get on stage, especially for that first time.

my 11 year-old daughter is pretty good. she likes yo-yoing, but she never wants to do it because she views it as a dude thing. all of the meets and contests she’s gone to and the majority of the videos she’s seen reinforce that perception. meeting ann, watching her demo at the birdhouse tour, and being encouraged by her was really huge for her, and she threw hard for a few months straight afterward. whoever said ann is there to make the teen boys drool is out of line, and continuing to call out girls as anomalous or objectifying them isn’t helping our gender gap.

girls need to see other girls on stage and getting positive feedback, and that’s a huge benefit of a women’s division. it was striking to be at iyyc this weekend and see so much awesome talent on stage and tons of girls at the contest and demos, but exactly one girl on stage in 2a. (and it’s not like that’s atypical for any contest - just striking at a place like disney world with so much first-contact walkthrough traffic.)

i don’t know if a distinct division is the way to rectify it, but i feel like some outreach is better than none. with this issue, yo-yoing is missing out on a bit less than HALF of the demographic that should/could dig it, and i feel like you’ve got to provide a platform for girls to stand on AND (much more importantly) look at.

3 Likes

Yoyo, your missing one major part of this it’s the ratio of male to female yoyoers. Its Crazy because Theres sooo many males in the Yoyo world but very little females. Thats why we are important because theres just so few of the women yoyoing. So, Let’s say a company sponsors a women. That now gives the company a bigger market because the girl is now a role model to other women. So, naturally the other that aren’t sponsored women are inspired by this are going to want to buy that companies yoyos because that’s what the sponsored women uses. So Yoyo That’s why women should be recognized alright it’s because there great for Yoyo companies in terms of money and publicity for the companies. And Personally I don’t know what your talking about recognition. I get recognized just as much as the next person over at competition thats just how it is.

I agree 200% with your comment. frankly companies that do not support women (read having women on their teams) are stupid…

should there be a women’s division? you bet there should be. we have seniors, kids and anyone who participates should be recognized for their interest.

ALL - women, mens, kids should be able to participate in any event. though there should be some separate divisions for the smaller groups that show up to play. if the divisions are there MORE WILL COME.

everyone should be recognized for their ability.

I support more of the companies that have women on their teams, I buy more special edition yoyo’s that are from the female team members…

ginny

So, go ahead and sponsor every female yoyoer in the world then…

And sure the sales will increase, but I like the idea of EARNING a sponsorship is better than just getting one handed to you.

1 Like

This argument assumes that the only reason girls don’t throw is because they don’t have role models? How many of you started throwing because you saw a pro? To those that answered yes, would you have still started if that pro was a woman?

no one suggested that and frankly it is a stupid remark…

sponsorship goes to skill period. all have suggested the same. you must have been poorly potty trained…

ginny

I have to disagree with that. Companies will sponsor people who will represent them the best. It’s their decision.

Why not a men’s division too? I’m not against a women’s division, but your reason is bad. Women are allowed to compete in the normal divisions, but they never do well. It’s like making an amateur division, which isn’t a bad thing.

Everyone already is allowed to compete. The question is whether or not a women’s division is the best way to encourage female competitors.

You said that every company should have a women player on their team. There is sort of a shortage of women players. IMO a company should sponsor a woman only if they find one they would want to sponsor.

2 Likes

:-\ I am so confused. What are you people arguing over?
You’re getting off subject and starting to argue over women being sponsored.

The person who started this thread has edited his post. Go back and read it.

1 Like

There a probably more companies then female players worthy of sponsorship.