Here's a question for ya'

My mom recently say wyyc 2015 vids, and she asked me why there is a separate category. Why weren’t they with the guys? To be honest, I don’t know, so I wanted to see if you guys knew

Because girls are way to good for us and if we we’re all in the same division the Girls would win every time. That’s why they seperate us guys to give us a chance

1 Like

flip it around. if 90+% of yo-yo players were FEMALE, would you be more or less likely to enter an “all-guy” division, as opposed to being one of just a handful of dudes going up against hundreds of girls?

MOST people (though not everyone) in that situation would feel a lot more comfortable competing with players of the same gender.

it’s absolutely true that there is no natural advantage to being either a male or female yo-yo player, but there is a TREMENDOUS social-cultural advantage/privilege given that the VAST majority of players in our community are male. it’s HARDER to stick with yo-yoing as a girl with comparatively few female role models and community members involved in the sport. having a womens’ division encourages more girls and women to get involved in the events. just from a company sponsorship perspective, it’s pretty unbelievable to look at the market-share we miss out on by indirectly/unintentionally alienating half of the people we might attract to yo-yoing. if we ever see an even split between male and female participation in yo-yoing, it might make sense for gender-specific divisions to disappear, but for a multitude of reasons we have never even been CLOSE to approaching that.

2 Likes

besides isn’t it pretty cool to say your the best woman thrower in the world till next worlds…

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,76934.0.html

^ A lot on this topic covered there.

Women are allowed to compete in the main tournament as well, so it isn’t like they’re forced into a separate division if they don’t want to be.  :slight_smile:

The women’s division just let’s them showcase their skill against their peers without being swamped in with the hundreds of lads. Plus, it gives a better platform to potentially get more women interested.

1 Like

Because contests should be fair

Guys aren’t necessarily more competitive.

Umm…

i don’t really agree with this. Yes, Tessa doesn’t compare to some of these big wigs out there(Tessa kills it btw), but there are way more males out there then females. Higher chance of better players, more intimidation, etc. I also agree with what Ed mentioned. Females have every ability that males have. Just turns out that it’s a male dominated sport and just so happens to have better players. No other reason. So let’s change this and get more women to yoyo. I wanna see a female win worlds.

I know lots of girls who get that look in their eyes before we race or whatever. (Just as some guys do)

Scary competitive. :stuck_out_tongue:

If there where as many female to male ratios in competitive yoyoing there would be a woman world champion in the mens division.

I am sorry if I sounded sexist. I meant no harm or offense

Explain your reasoning! Women can have the exact same mindset as men do. Women can spend hours a day practicing. If they get second, there’s nothing stopping them from trying harder. Maybe you phrased the question wrong, but why would women get bored more easily than men?

1 Like

The amount of sexism on these threads is unreal. Multiple different people here are trying to argue that a) women aren’t as good as men at yoyoing or b) they don’t have the motivation men do? Really? Would you say that to anyone if you didn’t have the power of anonymity on a forum? Come on now.

3 Likes

I would not and I don’t have the anonymity on this forum because my real name is in full view.

Exactly what I was thinking when I posted the reply above yours.

To those who think that women are inferior, compare yourself to any female player in yoyoing. Since Tessa was mentioned earlier:

are you more experienced compared to her?
Are you as consistent as she is?
do you practice as much or more than she does?
Are you as drive. As she is?
Do you have a sponsorship?

Chances are, probably not. Why? Cause she has earned it. Gender has nothing to do with it. She placed what? 16th or whatever? How many guys did she surpass? A lot.

THANKYOU! I was hoping someone would say that. Where are people getting this stuff from? XD

I think the idea of having a girls division is pretty rad. I wouldn’t compete somewhere where my competition is overwhelmingly females, so i can totally see why they would do that for the gals.

WE WANT YOYO EQUALLITY!!! VIVA LA YOYO REVOULTION!!!

I am going to change all my posts to Mods Plaease Deleate this" I am done. I never meant to sound sexist and I opologize. I am sorry

everyones is though. YouTube, Contests, Companies…