The Yo-Yo Rap Thread!

I’m going to record that song we made in the next day or so, and post it for you.

In the meantime, I’ll post a few lines I wrote from a Yomega song I wrote for Fellavader. Copyright 2013

I love the Xodus, I’m going to play with that,
I love the Ooch so much, and my Yomega Dash,
They changed the game so much, drop whoever’s training ya,
Your tricks will be insane, watch Yomega Mania,
Fullfilling all your pipe dreams, Adam’s on the right team,
looping with his Raider Ex and Yomega Light Beams,
They light up like magic, go ahead and grab it,
Or one day, do 1A, play Yomega Maverick.
Shop YoyoExpert, accessories they sold ya,
Browse for Yomega things, get a Ooch holder…

…With no Ooch-yo!

yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyooyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyooyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyooyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyooyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyooyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyooyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo :stuck_out_tongue:

I mention it in the second line. I love the “Ooch.” Talking about the yo-yo.

I owed Noah this song for some time, so here it is…all recorded and done.  I may tweak it a bit, but I think it sounds good.  I put an acapella version after it.  Figured I’d make it 2 minutes long, freestyle length.

It was fun writing a song with you Noah.  Until next time…

Verse 1

Whether they’re young or older, my rhymes are colder,
than an aluminum boulder, a throw is in my leather holder,

So bring it on, come strong, and I challenge you to come,
Throwing and making songs, and my style is super dumb,

Where I’m from…I stay frosted, lost in a sea of strings and ano,
Like Augie Fash, Fast like you don’t understand so,

get out of thrower’s block, get locked and loaded,
All my enemies mocked and scolded, cause I’m the coldest,

My whip’s so fast, that it can give you whiplash,
draws attention quick fast, cause my style it kicks *ss,

Haters be on blast, I’m faster than spinning ceramics
Kids don’t understand it, I do damage and leave 'em stranded,

General yo for breakfast, Caribou Lodge is dinner,
So don’t try to step to this, I’ll come out the winner,

Throw down so hard that several think I’m a sinner,
Takes a contract with the devil,  to get some tricks this killer,

Yoyoexpert is the forum I visit, so recognize,
That I’m sick wit’ this, competition…just step aside.

Chorus
I got yo-yos & swag, yo-yos & swag, yo-yos & swag
In my yo-yo bag (repeat)

Verse 2

I do it all day, kids think I’m the coolest,
Tricks smooth and fluid, like when Andre do it.

and  people are addicted, i’m the sickest, they get hooked,
what I got isn’t moves from a yo-yo trick book.

So, while your friends look slow, old and senile,
meanwhile, they’re amazed in a daze when I freestyle.

But all that don’t matter, competition knows to scatter,
why?  it’s all about my yo-yos and my swagger.

Tricks like Harold Owens, throw until my middle finger is swollen, 
yoyoing…in yoyoexpert clothing,

which means I look too fine to give my enemies time,
throwing yo-yo, a super G like I’m Gentry Stein.

The Totalartist, yeah, so if they ever bring my name up,
it’s time to change up, lame ducks, and step your game up.

I’m a thrower and a very skilled rhyme flower,
Write rhymes shoulder to shoulder, with another thrower Noah.

Chorus
I got yo-yos & swag, yo-yos & swag, yo-yos & swag
In my yo-yo bag (repeat)

Dude, next time you write up a rap hit me up, I am actually trying to start rapping for fun and I can use the practice writing lyrics man!

No problem, I can give you some tips. I learned a lot from mistakes in the past, and I’ll pass my experience on to you. I have a lot of these tips, but we’ll start with these two.

Tip#1

When you write rap lyrics, it is important to be creative to the extent that the words need not rhyme exactly. It is okay sometimes, but if they always rhyme exact, it will sound like the cat in the hat or too “cookie cutter.”

For example, one of my favorite lines in the song is:

Tricks like Harold Owens, throw until my middle finger is swollen,
yoyoing in YoyoExpert Clothing.

As you can see, the words in blue do not rhyme exact, but when spoken you can make them sound like they do. Part of the science of rap is how you make the words fit to rhyme, even when they really don’t.

Tip #2

It is more sophisticated to throw in some “two word rhymes.” By that, I mean that you rhyme the last two words, instead of just one word.

For example…

Get locked and loaded, my enemies get mocked and scolded

or

I’m the sickest they get hooked, what I got aint tricks from a yo-yo trick book.

So, I’d practice those two techniques and blend them into your writing, and you’ll find that things are kicked up a notch. I wish I had someone to explain some of the stuff to me back in the day, but I picked up a lot on my own.

I started writing like that in the fifth grade. There was a writing contest that my teacher wanted us to participate in. It was called “I Wonder Why.” We just had to write a page about random stuff we wonder about. It was weird. I decided to make mine rhyme. I wrote a whole page like that, and when it was time to pass in my paper, I couldn’t find it. I think the girl next to me took it. I never found it, so in order to pass it in on time, I had to write another one fast. I wrote it really fast, but it wasn’t as good as the first one in my opinion. I passed it in, and I found out a few months later that I won the contest. The first prize back then was a boom box ::slight_smile: I’m old now, but back then that was a great prize. Second prize was a cassette walkman. Anyway…that was my first attempt at writing this way, and because it went well, I haven’t stopped since then. If you need help working on anything, I’m always here to help. :wink:

1 Like

Dang dude awesome! I needed the advice man, thanks for looking out. We gotta make this a monthly thing or something, and then you can put out an album about yoyo raps!

Hahahahaa this is great. Expect somethin from me soon ooowww

Sounds good on the monthly project. I have an album in the works too. So far I have songs about the leather holders, about making a yo-yo case, about being old and loving yo-yos, about Yomega and about mgiroux77 haha. Fellavader plays on the Yomega song. Mgiroux77 plays on his song. You and I wrote one together, and there is another member who D.J.s who I want to collaborate with. He produces electronic music Teekayacrunch. I’d rhyme over one of his beats. Next time I see Andre, I’ll ask to sample his voice to put it in some music too. That would be cool.

Tip #3

The format I wrote those verses in, is a good way to organize your thoughts and structure of the song. Rappers refer to each line as a “bar.” You may hear them refer to “writing a 16,” which means 16 bars. The second verse was written as 16 bars, or 16 lines. It is very common to hear rappers use 16 as a standard verse length. I sometimes use odd ones like I did in Verse 1, or even go as long as 24 sometimes. It might help to practice writing in 16s. For example:

“This holder is the best, so you know you gotta have it,
With some help from the man who made the Dark Magic.”

That is 2 bars. So, 8 of those gets you a full verse. :slight_smile:

@Yored…I can’t wait! I saw you freestyle while yo-yoing in a Youtube video. I’m going to find it and post it here. I enjoyed it. I saw it before you went away…never forgot it.

i think i deleted it bro, along with a few others that reminded me of my ex. Ima make another one tho an rap n throw. No music in the background cause i use my phone to record.
But this will be after the collab video me and k.j make, which should be up next week haha, its gunna be good make sure you guys peep it!

Since it’s halfway through the month, and I’m feeling the rap vibes coming on, I’m gonna write the first verse on the next song! Slower song, think Daily Routine by Joey Bad@$$ as a reference. This month’s topic shall be: CLYW
Verse one:
This avalanche is magic I love it man, I must be an addict
losing it would be tragic, I love it man, never leave without it
It’s fun to throw such an amazing little piece of equipment
end of the string and needing a whole new shipment
Caribou Lodge got the stuff that I need
My avalanche be like my noble steed
YoRED know what I mean, this throw is pure steez
Still sad bout the the scratch from my keys
if you’re gonna hate, might as well leave, the yoyo works are the bees knees
Up against haycock it might as well be a bear vs a man
If you can’t do a trick guaranteed that killah jensen can
Talk about a crazy team, Palli, Zach Gormley
Ptr Kavka, Seth Boyd, and Harrison Lee
Know what I mean?

will continue this later!

Okay Noah, I’m feeling the vibe…time to slow it down a bit. I’ll reply soon with some more CLYW lyrics for you. :wink: We will begin our work on the next one. ;D

Well…I made some CLYW lyrics, but with writing lyrics, you have to do what comes easily, cause if you force it, it never comes out quite right.  So, I’ll need more time on CLYW.  But, in the meantime I wrote this YoyoFactory Song.  I’ve been holding onto it for a bit, and finally chose a beat that worked well with it.  This was a draft that I recorded in the car, killing time, playing the music on my Ipad and working the lyrics out while recording on my phone.  It was dark out, so no video really…sound only.  I call this “YoyoFactory Song.”  Written and produced by me…I mention about 15 or 16 YYF products and about 7 of their players.  Original music and lyrics.

Copyright 2013.  Let me know if I should finish up CLYW or do YoyoJam next:

You should send that to YYF!

Well StringKing, it’s just hard to know how to send it, so that it might get noticed.  I can imagine they have all kinds of fans writing about stuff all the time.  Maybe I’ll look for someone who might have a contact.  I think Tyler Severance would look good playing to that.  He usually plays to hip hop, and from his Instagram, he likes the genre.  That song is edgy and has a certain feel for it that would work for 5A.  I think he might be the one for that song.  I’ve seen Ann Connolly in person.  Maybe next time I see her, I can ask her if she’d be interested in it too.  That might be a while though, because contest season is over.  :-\

Do you think I should make it a full 2 minutes…freestyle length…or 3 even?  There’s no chorus, but I sort of like rapping straight through, cause it sounds edgy and more like “freestyle.”  I like how it came out though.

I honestly think it’s your best rap yet. Even I liked it, and I’m not normally a fan of rap.

Thanks StringKing.  I’ve had that music since about 2003.  I recorded an instrumental album, and that’s one of the tracks that people thought was pretty good of the bunch.  I thought it was a little slow, so I had to rap slow, but I think it made the lyrics much more clear.  Thanks for listening.  At least it’s something everyone here can relate to.  :slight_smile: