The Yo News: Weekly News and Tutorial Roundup

@theyonews • Instagram photos and videos

Hey everyone! I’ve noticed that there isn’t really a collective information/news source for yoyoing on Instagram, and I want to change that! I’m starting an account called The Yo News, with the goal of trying to help everyone keep track of whats going on in the community. My goal is to post drops, contest information/results, and player/brand news. It would be amazing if you’d drop a follow, and if you have any news you think is worth sharing, please send me a dm and I’d love to share it! I’m also open to any ideas/suggestions for the account.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day/good night wherever you are in the world!

30 Likes

Just gave it a follow.

While there is @bindmagazine, IMO they are pretty selective with what they post and it’s not as comprehensive as what I see you’re intending to do based off of your “This Week In YoYoing” post. I really like how you listed out the info without too much else going on, and are straight to the point with the updates. It always kinda sucks having to read through a bunch of fluff sometimes to get to the info you want, or having to comb through different topics here… I appreciate you kinda aggregating that and putting it together in one place.

On a different note, are you planning on staying anonymous? Idk if you were around for it, but I definitely miss the days of YoYoSkills, run by Chris Allen. I know the goal is to deliver info, but people like to know who’s doing it, and your personality is something that could potentially bring a lot to the table. It’s why certain people watch certain news networks, or certain YouTube channels… we could get the news anywhere, but we choose specific people because we like how they tell it/their commentary on it. Just a thought!

One last suggestion: you could get a MAJOR edge if you reached out to companies and got EXCLUSIVE news in advance. For example: I personally want to know what yoyo One Drop is releasing next/what’s in the pipeline, but the best I can do at the moment (without pestering them lmao) is wait for them to update their Flikr account or post on their Insta. If you made an agreement with certain manufacturers to give you exclusive news before anyone else, you’d have people FLOCK to your account. It’s kinda a Catch 22 though for a bit, you kinda have to have a following for companies to want to do that first, but I’m sure you could work something out.

Looking forward to the updates/what’s to come!

11 Likes

Hey! Thank you so much for the follow and the feedback! It means a lot.
I plan to do a weekly “The Week in Yoyoing” post as well as other posts for major news/announcements. I’m glad you like the post layout, I do plan on keeping that format, but I may add images/video clips for individual announcement posts.

Also, I don’t intend to remain anonymous! I just want to be sure that this is something that is received positively and I’m doing things correctly before I connect myself with it.

Thank you for the suggestion to reach out to companies! I’ll definitely do that especially for smaller companies that are easier to reach out to.

Thanks again!!

16 Likes

Just wondering but anyone else come here thinking of a relationship with theyostore?

6 Likes

Thought the same thing… RIP

3 Likes

Dropped you a follow! Looking forward to what is to come.

4 Likes

Thank you so much!!

Also sorry for the confusion @sparhawk, unfortunately thats not the case :frowning:

2 Likes

That’s a great idea, you have my follow. As SR1 said, there already is Bind Magazine but it doesn’t post consistently.
I’m sure people will be super interested in a page like yours, what I can suggest you is to make one post for each news, including photos\videos, however, I can imagine it would be a lot of work.
Also, find a captivating graphic layout for your page\posts. Bind is a good inspiration for that.
Then, a very specific suggestion: do not limit posts to contests, player annoucements and drops. Also include video edits releases for example, both youtube and instagram edits, I’m a bit biased here, but I love to know when a new video is released!
Very important, and I see you already do this, is to make clear that everyone can DM you to suggest news. Good luck for all, you have all my support

6 Likes

Hey!! Thank you for the support! I appreciate all the advice! I do plan on posting individual news with images and/or video. The weekly post will be more of a compilation of stuff thats happened within the week. I also do plan on posting about more things, especially yoyo vids on yt, as I love yt trick vids! I hope to keep improving the graphics and post layout as things go as well.
Thank you again!

5 Likes

Following now. Looks neat!

4 Likes

I’m following. Interested to see where this goes.

kgb

2 Likes

Thank you so much @hobbygod and @NitroBobby916 !!

3 Likes

Thank you all for the support, we’ve reached 50 followers already!
In addition, I think I will keep posting links to ‘The Week in Yoyoing’ posts in this thread, so look out for those every week! That’s all for now, and thanks again for all the support.

4 Likes

Following

2 Likes

Following

1 Like

Too bad this can’t be a dot com instead. Non-instagramers get locked up after viewing one or two items. It sounds like a good idea you have for instagram followers.

4 Likes

I feel you. A big inspiration for this was yoyonews.com, where you could go and see any recent contest/player/brand announcements. I know not everyone has it, but Instagram is just very convenient for getting started. A website or perhaps a Discord server are potential ideas for the future but I think Instagram is the best place to begin.Thanks for the feedback!

4 Likes

I’m becoming a curmudgeon as I’m getting older. I hate social media of all kinds. Unfortunately I’ve had to get an instagram account to try to keep up with One Drop releases. I’m a bit salty about it. But since I’m there anyways, I’ll give you a follow too.

But I second the idea of a website. Hell, I’d even gladly sign up for a mailing list if that’s on the table…

Hey since we’re on this discussion, does anyone know what happened to the YYE blog? I used to check that page religiously back in the day.

4 Likes

Following. Cool idea

3 Likes

I’m subscribed! Thanks for rolling all this up. Looks great.

I’ve gone a created an Instagram account specifically for yo-yo. Nothing personal in it so I don’t get bogged down with all the social media yuck. You could always try it and if you didn’t like it just close it. It’s Yo-yo mostly with some Grateful Dead mixed in! :slight_smile:

4 Likes