The way I make my finger loop

Just wanted to share how I make my loop. I’ve never been a fan of the knot on my finger so I do this:

1. Make a figure 8 (more secure than an overhand knot)
  2. Take a bight of string and push it through the string in between the two strands
  3. Pull the string
  4. Pull until the string flips on itself
  5. Nice knotless loop.

One of the things I like is that the loop tends to stay tight around my finger so I don’t have to adjust it as much as the common way. It’s also easier to shorten your string in increments. All you have to do is pull the loop out of the string, tie another figure 8 lower down and repeat the steps. It’s a little more fidgety to make than the other way but it’s no harder than opening up a string to put on the yoyo. There is a risk of the loop getting pulled back through accidentally when you are taking it out of your pocket or bag but I think it’s worth it. When I take it off my finger I just leave the loop wide open and it’s never been a problem.
Just thought I’d share in case anyone is interested. Happy throwing!

17 Likes

This is also great for getting a little more maximum length out of a string.

1 Like

i have a friend that does this as well… didn’t quite understand at first.

I have been getting into the habit of tying a small overhand knot near the slipknot to prevent the string from fraying down to the slipknot after being cut. It looks like this:

2 Likes

How much longer can you get with this? Test with an old string and let us know. Cut and mark with a sharpie 8 inches from the end. Then tie your usual knot. Put on your finger and measure how far the mark is from your finger.

Then cut below that mark and repeat by marking at 8 inches again, then tying the figure eight close to the end and pulling the string through the two strands, putting it on your finger and measuring how far the mark is from your finger.

Curious to see what people get.

1 Like

that is what i do as well… for the same reason… and it was a habit i got into as a noob worrying that the loop would loosen and the yo would fly off my finger :rofl:

1 Like

I started to do double slip knots sometime last year and haven’t gone back. It makes for very tight grips with almost no issues with loosening.

2 Likes

So I quickly got an old string and you can probably get an extra 2 inches or so depending on how small you make the fixed loop.

6 Likes