The Ultimate Counterweight Thread

This is how I have it now. I think it’s right.

The bearing goes in first, then the cap goes into the bearing, then the string goes through. Like I said, it works fine and I like it in play, I just kinda wish there was a tight fitting cap or something to go over it to keep them inside.

4 Likes

In this case it looks like the metal caps could function as the “bead”, unless im mistaken. I dont have one so im just going based in scale of the hole.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was suggesting

1 Like

The plugs are beads. If shapapy strung that up in the opposite direction the counterweight would just slide off the string instead of being attached. Or if the plug was on the outside, the plug would never be able to slide inside the counterweight. I don’t like using beads on counterweights where the bead can’t rest inside.

Shapapy strung it up in the only direction it goes, that’s not “upside down”.

3 Likes

Yea I tried those other ways and they did not work :laughing:

The only other way that worked was just stringing up same as the dice. It works but doesn’t look as good.

2 Likes

none of the photos ive seen of the counterweight show the top hole, so i was under the impression the hole was small enough to hold the knot. based on the description of things “not falling in right” i figured that would be the case, because you’d have to hold the string in an awkward way to get the CW to fall back together lol

Aw yea the hole is big enough for the knot to slip right through. I would have to make the knot much bigger to string it from the other side.

1 Like

any counterweight that tries to have the string’s knot hold the counterweight into place is so sussy to me, I’m speaking from having personal experience of having the knot slide through the cw and send my yoyo flying :sweat:

Honestly the holes on those plugs seem kinda big, do a second knot over your string’s knot if you feel like you could potentially yank the string all the way through it. @Shapapy

3 Likes

that experience is exactly why i prefer the string groove so much, my arcade hit my brick wall outside so hard because of it LOL. can always double/triple knot it to bulk it up, but yeah not ideal to rely on that lol

3 Likes

My favorite beads all have the candy dice style groove around them, and you just place them inside the twist of the string.

Way more convenient when changing strings and also feels more secure than anything other than plastic beads with super narrow diameter holes that are a struggle to thread the string to go through period.

9 Likes

those little beads with the groove are super slick! idk if ive seen those before. i pretty much only play my reactor weights, and the one i designed/printed because of the string groove. id probably play beaded ones if i had one like that

4 Likes

Playing with polymer clay to try and recreate some yoyo colourways I like

11 Likes

That harbinger is such a tease

Just finished the second batch to go with these. I now have weights for every colour Harbinger should I go crazy (or extremely sensible?) and buy 3 more

1 Like

This is how I imagine I would look if a giant used my head as a CW

12 Likes