The Ultimate Counterweight Thread

One more
Easy little dual ball design.

Started with this first print printed at .2 layer height, 40% infill with natural PLA

I like how it looks, but the hole wasn’t big enough. A little modification to the files and at a .1 layer height, I got this.
Ain’t it cool. 11g last weight.
The supports were a pain, but that’s my settings. Maybe I could do without them though.

If you have a CW idea, I could print it and make a post about it.

9 Likes

Looking good!

The general rule of thumb, with good base support (which may be trickier with a sphere) 60° is the most overhang angle you can have without it being impossible. But make sure your printer and slicer are up to it, and that your design won’t topple over from it.

Also there’s a soluble support for dual extrusion printers that’d make help retain finish while providing the benefits of supports.

2 Likes

I’ve tried the soluble material on some printer before and it felt like a hassle. Might be that it was in its baby steps then.

I’m pretty sure it might be a-ok to go with just a raft with .1 layers. That said, I haven’t tried it so it may not be as good as I have it in my head, but the layers should print nicely.
I’ll just fiddle with Cura’s support settings until I find something that’s good to build on but is easier to remove.

1 Like

I like using it for printing yoyos because the plastic supports tend to leave unwanted residual strands that messes with functionality. But for simpler stuff it is most certainly less efficient.

And a raft should do it, great for bed adhesion, for spheres it might make the bottom a little more flat, but I think that’d be a good thing in case you wanted it to stay still when not in use.

2 Likes

I’m curious about these two-piece designs. Do the two pieces clack against each other noisily during play?

4 Likes

Just sent the chainmail one to @d34dj3d show it off mang!

2 Likes

There’s a bit of click clack here and there but nothing major. I personally don’t mind it.

1 Like

Here’s my really awful double dice/Astro skills…

2 Likes

That looks good. Only thing is that edge. I’d round it off a bit to save knuckles and hands. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a bit too sharp. I’ll round it off asap and make a new print in Pretty Pink at some point.

4 Likes

The craziest thing I have ever seen anyone do with 5a style is Yuma Sakai’s 2017 Japan Nationals routine, where he grabs a second throw set up for 5a and proceeds to play 3a + 5a style with an absolute flourish of a finishing trick!

• watch around 2:56
8 Likes

Oh yeah, that was absolutely incredible when he did that.

Yuki Takami does similar stuff too. He combines 2A with 5A in ridiculous ways.

8 Likes

Why is the video so choppy?

That’s impressive for its difficulty, but it has a real awkwardness to it that is a little unsettling, like at any moment it could all just fall apart and collapse into an ugly mess of tangled yoyos.

I fixed it, now it’s back to the original video.
Youtube didn’t like my upload, yet the video on my iPad isn’t choppy at all.

Here’s a custom Paracord counter weight! Pen tube with wire wrapped around it as the center. Paracord is tied in a monkey first.

13 Likes

Got a ChinaYu POM and a GT-Infinity Kepler 1-1 today!

8 Likes

Fixed it. Bigger, better, rounder and 12g.

9 Likes

Here’s a 5a I set up just for @twitch77:

4 Likes

so much has changed.
Anyone wanna help update this?

1 Like