The Titanium Gold Rush

This is one of the best times to be a thrower. That said, this is the big titanium rush to create great titanium throws before anyone else. And with that, personally, I don’t want to see only titanium throws. (I know that wont happen) Also, theses titaniums a a BIG premium thing that not everyone can afford. Yoyos are meant to be played not trophies that sit on a shelf. But then again I am enthusiastic about them and are a nice innovation.

This is an open discussion about titanium throws.

What do you think about them?

I like titanium, and would like to have more of them. For me, the biggest advantage of Ti is its strength, I don’t worry about dinging my Ti Dream, but, I try to be careful with it (as I do with all my throws).

It is strong and allows for extreme weight distribution, which I like. However, well done Al still packs great value.

Depends on the titanium. Titan Gold is a trophy, Dream is a player.

I can’t wait for an Adamantium yoyo. Now that would be true innovation.

If you’re waiting on an Adamantium yoyo, you’ll probably be waiting a while :wink:

I know what’s the perfect name for it.

The Wolverine… by Logan Yoyos. :wink:

How about Weapon X by X-Yos

1 Like

I think yoyodoc made some good points. I think it’s definitely been a great year for titanium releases, but I think I bought a total of 4 new titanium models this year, and I’m waiting to see if a few release again that I didn’t get. It seems like I bought a Dazzler 2 years ago, so I don’t even count that one as part of the new titanium thing this year. I can think of 6 full titanium releases right now, for this year. And, while there are more Ti releases this year than I’ve seen in my short time, I’d never consider 6 full titanium releases in a year a “rush,” in the grand scheme of things. Especially, in the context of the OP exploring the idea of exclusively titaniums existing one day. I just don’t think 6 or 7 releases is enough to start imagining that. And, the OP seems to agree with that anyway.

I have a few titanium throws that I play with on a regular basis. And, the ones that I play with regularly have a twin, that never gets played with at all. But, the fact that I do it that way, has nothing to do with the fact that they are titanium, because I do it more often with my aluminum/plastic ones.

I don’t care what any manufacturer meant for me to do with their stuff. If they have a problem with me keeping them in my case, instead of playing them, they should let me know, and I’ll buy another brand instead. I would be surprised if a yo-yo manufacturer cared what I did with the thing they made, as long as I bought it and supported their company. More than anything else, I believe yo-yos were meant to be sold. And, once it’s sold to me, it’s mine and I do what I want with it (or not). :wink:

As it relates to the titanium topic, I think many of us buy them because we can. A lot of the consumers of these really expensive throws are adults who have jobs, and they work hard to afford the things they want. There were several titanium releases this year, but definitely not too many, especially when they have all been very different. I think they’re great, and companies should continue to make them as long as they are coming up with interesting designs. If they have to charge us more for the cost of the material, and labor that goes into producing them, I’m willing to support them, without any complaints.

I haven’t paid much attention in the years past of the number of titaniums being made but for me it almost feels like a Titanium Renaissance, that is there’s a number of titaniums being released in a short-ish time span. This summer/fall we had the Titanium Dream, Citizen, Evora, TiGer, and Spyy (glad to see them return from the ashes) with their Tyy.

Nobody’s trying to “race to the finish line” with these. In the end, I’m glad to see a variety of titaniums coming out and happy to see these companies pushing themselves to see what they can come up with.

Really wishing I had done the crowdfunding campaign with the Titanium Dream as that shape interests me the most and could have got it for 2/3 of the cost it is now plus get an Aluminum Dream.

Also seems like we’re going through a bi-metal renaissance too with the broad number of nice bimetals being released as of recent!