The replay pro. Why is it amazing?

I own quite a few yo-yos, replay pro, couple 888’s, skyline, shutter, too hot, a project 2 and a bunch more. It has been a long while since I’ve thrown. I decided to get back into it. What better way than to get a new yo-yo!? I decided to get another replay Pro. And jeez. It really is the best yo-yo I own! And the cheapest. Does anybody else feel this way too?

5 Likes

If I’m honest no… I don’t have any issue with my replay pro, but I feel it has been outclassed by more modern releases.

6 Likes

Modern releases that are in the same price range? Is there anything in particular I should check out? I’ve been out of the game for quite a while

Yeah, I never understood the love for the Replay Pro. It is too heavy and bulky, and its gap is too wide for my tastes. I’m kinda surprised that so many people love it, beyond any fondness they might subconsciously have for it simply because of its association with Gentry Stein. But while I don’t understand it, I nevertheless acknowledge that it has a lot of fans.

1 Like

Gentry’s raising the next generation of yoyoers. So naturally all the kids are gonna love him, making his signatures EVEN MORE popular.

2 Likes

I think the Replay Pro is a fine yo-yo, I mean Gentry used it to win Nats 2015, there’s not really a better endorsement. I had a blast with the one I got in a toy shop in Copenhagen summer 2019 before I fully dove back into this world summer 2020. However, after getting back into it I have found other plastics that I prefer over the Replay Pro. Some of my favorite more modern plastics are:

7 Likes

In my opinion the Replay Pro is really good for learning tricks because it’s long spin time for a plastic. The down side is the weight that gives it the spin and stability also gives it a bit of the rock on a string feel.
The Wedge feels and plays a little better but has slightly less sleeping time.
Once I have a trick dialed in on those then I switch to a metal.
Currently working on chopsticks.

7 Likes

The Replay Pro has the benefits of a pretty low price and good availability.

However, for beginners I would steer them towards the First Base if it was more available. And for anyone who has the funds, I would recommend the YoyoFriends Dove above all plastics out there.

2 Likes

Is it available anywhere?

1 Like

I found 4 black ones available online, but you’ll have to google search for it yourself. I’ll just say that the place has the word “science” in its name.

3 Likes

@AndreBoulay owns A2Z, so it should be safe to link there, I suppose.

https://a2zscience.com/

7 Likes

I tried several of the plastics mentioned above and I prefer the Replay Pro over them. All the specs of the RP totally hit the mark for me and I have no interest in chasing any other plastics.

4 Likes

I dig my replay pro. Feels comfy in the hand, good spin time and stability, an all around fun to use yoyo that I don’t have any big complaints about, but don’t know if I would consider it amazing

7 Likes

Ordered.:+1:

3 Likes

Right. It feels awesome and comfortable! I love the wide gap because I can use various thicknesses depending on my mood or whatever (I prefer thick).

5 Likes

Yes that too! I love me some Kitty XL but it doesn’t play nice with everything

6 Likes

I read a lot of positive comments about First Base, really would like to throw it some day.

2 Likes

As a beginner, I don’t know if it’s my setup or abilities, but I don’t really love my Replay Pro either. The Shutter is great for me, but I just can’t get the Replay Pro to do what I want even with fat string. I’m suffering from the affliction of spending too much time looking at/shopping for yoyos rather than actually playing/learning. That said, my favorite plastic yoyo is the Magic Yo-yo Crystal K2. I don’t know who designed it, but it looks (and sounds) like it was influenced by the skyva, Firstbase with the finger spin indent and a few others. I don’t remember what it cost, but I think about $12.

8 Likes

This thing is very fun to play with. Tons of sleep time but super light feeling. Definitely my new favorite plastic. Well until I try something else probably, but for now :+1:
Thanks again @zslane.

4 Likes

What problems are you having? Is your Replay not binding?