The perfect throw!

How to pick the perfect throw

Alrighty guys, in the past few weeks I have seen a LOT of new beginners. That’s awesome! It’s great that we, the yo-yoing community are getting bigger. On the other hand, I have seen around 50 posts on Yoyoexpert and Yoyonation about “what yoyo should I get” or, “which is the best”. I have also seen replies and whole other threads about how annoyed people are and how stupid the beginners are. So, this is basically an end all “what yoyo to get between 60-90 dollars” piece. Yes, we all know we had to start somewhere, but we don’t need this clogging up our threads. Don’t get me wrong, beginners are awesome, we all gotta start somewhere, this is mostly just a “guide” if you will. 
First thing to remember is to start with a price range. If you have a price range of 60-90 dollars, great, that is a pretty good range for anything pretty nice. 888 fits right in there, as well as some of Yoyo Factory’s other metals. Think about a yoyo you have right now that you love. Like the shape, like the weight, but the gap is too small. Ok, now we have something to go off. Look at the yoyo you have now on either Yoyonation.com or Yoyoexpert.com. Compare the stats to other yoyos in your price range. 
For example let’s take the 888. You love everything but the size, it’s too big around. Let’s look at others in your price range. Boss, Severe, G5, Genisis any of the Fundametals and if you go higher, MVP, Superstar, Skyline, and DNA. We won’t go into other companies right now. So right off the bat, you have lots of yoyos to choose from. Let’s look at the stats now. The DNA is just an oversized 888. The Genesis and Severe are way too big. Now we are down to a Boss, G5, or any of the Fundametals. (Assuming you don’t want to go over 90 dollars). You love the shape of the 888. That knocks out the Frantic, Hectic, DV888, Lunatic, G5, and Chaotic. Now you are down between the Boss and the Tactic. The Tactic is the exact same size as the 888, to big. So, we are stuck with the Boss. Now its research time!
Find a review. A great place to look is around the forums. But, there are 2 AWESOME places to get good, in depth reviews. Yoyoskills.com and Highspeedyoyos.com. Check here first, then the forums. When you decide that other people love ‘em. Look at the pros and cons of this yoyo. If the pros out number the cons. Go get it. 
Basically, that’s it. Unless you want to try something completely new, then you should ignore everything I have written and just do it your way, because your way is better! Any ways, any thing you get, you will almost always enjoy! It is great, so many companies make so many great throws and you just gotta find that one! Thanks for reading guys!!

Written by Raymond Pruitt

3 Likes

Good post buddy!

This is just my opinion but I think people are pretty lazy and it’s so easy to post up “what’s the best?” Let everyone else do the work for them and then make their choice based on other people, and their preferences.

Now being new to the yoyo scene myself I debated over what to get and I ended up buying 2 yoyos 1 that would get me through the begginer/intermediate stage and then 1 for when I was past that. I got both throws and string for under $80.

I get kinda choked when I see people that are just starting out think that they need an expensive metal yoyo, I mean just cause that’s what pros use doesn’t mean that’s what you need! Having a metal yoyo is NOT GOING TO MAKE YOU ANY BETTER! There’s nothing wrong with plastic in my opinion and i don’t know if i’ll ever buy a metal yoyo.

Obviously you can’t test everything out there, and you can’t afford to buy yoyo’s only to find you don’t like them, but at least do the work for yourself, because ultimately your the one that has to play with the yoyo,… get what you want not what everyone else wants/has!

Great post, I just need to point out one thing (I’m a beginner myself, but I think I wouldn’t be overstepping my limits of knowledge and understanding of the subject saying this) - when you consider pros and cons of something, anything, not just yoyos, comparing the NUMBER of good things versus bad things isn’t usually the way to judge…There are more variables, like how big and main is every advantage or disadvantage. Just wanted to point it out.

Balamis

I don’t think that anyone can tell you what Throw to get.Everyone like different shapes ,sizes so It’s all about preference,

Been there. Done that.

Good post nonetheless.

While I think this post has the right idea I feel I should point a few things out. In my opinion beginners should not have a 60-90 dollar price range. That price range is for the high end some top of the line yoyos which is completely unnecessary for a beginner. I think a 15-30 range is much more reasonable and as others have said, having an expensive yoyo will not make you better.

Also, when I started throwing I came here and looked up info on a few yoyos but as every yoyo says “great for learning” or “this yoyo is the best” it is best to ask someone with experience what they think on the matter. While most people all like different things, it is nice to start your own thread to describe what you like, what your patterns are, what you plan to work on, how far you plan to go.

Now people who make threads with a single line asking “what should I get?” are lame and just pure laziness.

Guys, this is truly just an example. Like a formula, F=ma. Plug in your numbers or, in this case your preferences, including your price range and use it as a guide line.

Sticky.

Ya, I agree but some people just like to be told what to git or do because there more dependant.
And oh ya great post, should hopefully skim down some of the posts around here. :wink: