The Official Worlds Discussion Topic

I hope I did… :o

Does this mean that Suzuki/Chia/Koh didn’t qualify? Or are they already seeded straight through to the final?

This is my first experience of worlds so it’s still relatively new to me…

I believe they’re seeded but this is only my second time so idk

I’ve heard the feed quality in Orlando is an issue with the infrastructure at the hotel, and that this is the best they can do with the current venue.  It should be better the next couple years at least.

The European Championships in Prague this year had a high quality video feed (EDIT: EYYC was in Budapest this year, but years past in Prague have also had a good quality feed).  I don’t remember if it was HD or not, but the video quality was much better than the Orlando feed.  The only issue I had with it was that they kept cutting between three different cameras at random times, which could be pretty jarring.  The video quality itself was fine, though.

I think I’ve seen high quality Japanese contest feeds as well.  Tokyo is one of the most technologically-integrated cities in the world, so that shouldn’t be a problem there in any case.

Reigning World Champions and National Champions of countries with recognized national contests are seeded straight to the finals.  Hiroyuki Suzuki is the reigning World Champion and Chia is the reigning Singapore National Champion, so both are already in finals if they are there.  I don’t think Marcus is there this year.  The contest website listed all the registered 1A players, and he was not listed.

1 Like

I really hope Tatsuya makes it to finals, I think if there was a year for him to have a good chance at winning it’s now, even more so than in 2011 (just my opinion). Also, does anyone know if Tokubuchi is competing at Worlds?

Also, I’m bummed Harold didn’t make it. After seeing his preliminary, I’m not surprised, but it looks like nervousness got to him. Maybe he’ll get the seed at Nationals again this year.

They used their seeds.

maybe its just wishful thinking, but I’d really like to see an American title this year. Zach Gormley anyone?

Honestly I think Zach could take it if he hits a freestyle that’s as clean a his Nationals was.

He’s seeded into finals, so it’s possible. I would love to see an American thrower at least place. I look at the final qualifiers and I barely know any of the players on there.

Nah…

It’s all about the Mexicans sweeping the competition.

Enrique has got this.

Very surprised at who didn’t make it. I’m super surprised Ky Zizan made it. I really hoped Fujisaka, Marechal, Maider, Stein and Rojas would advance… So I’m pulling for Akitoshi Tokubuchi, Christopher Chia, Luis Enrique or Shinya to win. Ahmad Kharisma would be cool too (not sure if all of these people are competing though).

I agree with you guys. I want to see Zach take it. Ben Conde for.4a. Hank for 3a. Takashi for 5a.

Takuma Yamamoto has won the 2A division

Hank Freeman has won 3A

And Michael Nakamura has won the 4A division! I’m sooo glad he won, he’s so underrated but is talented in multiple divisions. I am, however, bummed that Bryan Figueroa didn’t win… he’s come so close 2 years in a row…

I know I saw like 3 or 4 players I recognized. Really disappointed about Anthony, Harold, And Palli all 3 I think are top 15 in the world all the generic Asian freestyles just place higher I guess :stuck_out_tongue: I would just like to see someone not Asian win this year (no offense to Asians I love them). I seriously think Paul,Zach and Luis could take it.

I didnt even see the results! Good job Hank!

Lol, the only reason you know everyone who didn’t make it is because we live in the U.S. People on Asian yoyo forums probably look at pretty much everyone who didn’t make it past prelims and see them as generic American kids. I’m disappointed about Anthony and Harold too, though, as well as Gentry and especially Tatsuya (can you tell who my favorite player is?). And it’s not that your “generic Asian freestyles” place higher, it’s just that Rojas and Owens had way too many mistakes to advance.

Do I know nothing, it was zachs national performance really good?

Woah that grammar. Zach is seeded due to his Nationals title

Zach should win he has amazing tech and hes one of my favorites to watch I rather watch almost any American rather than an asian

Being Asian, I have to say I take that personally.

I’d rather watch Ryota Ogi, Shinya Kido, Tatsuya Fujisaka, Akitoshi Tokubuchi, Zannix, Gentry, Harold, Anthony Rojas, Andrew Maider, or anyone who has a style I enjoy watching rather than the tons of random kids who use 6 foot strings for their generic styles.

Let’s not have any stereotypes about styles here.

2 Likes