The Freshly Dirty MOD44 is back with new C and D bearing versions!

With plastic being so much less dense than metal, doesn’t this leave most of the weight still in the center portion of the body? I would expect this concept to produce a very weight-balanced yoyo, if not someone center-biased, and less rim-weighted (despite the size of the replaceable rims), unlike a bi-metal where the higher density material is pushed to the rims to produce more stability and spin time.

1 Like

I’m not the best at judging center weight vs rim weight, etc, but I haven’t had any issues with either version of the Mod 44. The hub is a relatively small amount of mass vs the entire thing.

For example, the C bearing hub by itself is 26g.
The organic rims are 32g, and most of that weight is pushed out to the edge (or at least it looks like it). The other rim sets are within ±2g of that weight, too.

2 Likes

Yeah, they are super capable. For some reason, I’m able to hit my tricks easily on them too.

1 Like

The D variant feels much more center weighted than the C bearing version. The shells definitely make all the difference though. The coupe feels amazing on the D version. I don’t like the Tuner shells on the D version but kind of like them on the C version. It’s all about finding what works for you.

The best way to describe is, the D bearing version feels more center weighted and heavier and the C bearing feels a bit more balanced and lighter. I think the D feels more center weighted because of the way the hub has a slight concave toward the axle area, thus offering a tiny bit more mass, even though the weight difference between both models isn’t much different. Some shells have more mass toward the rim and others have more toward the center. That’s what’s so great about this yoyo!

4 Likes

It’s too bad these aren’t selling better. Maybe people have a preconceived notion that there is a sacrifice in performance to achieve the design? On the contrary, I think they are a joy to play with.

I can’t remember how many of the Classic Remixes I did with the C version. Over and over, it was the yoyo that helped me pull off my tricks at the last second.

6 Likes

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t even think about spending money just to get a different look. However, I just had to get black shells for my Gold D Mod 44.

Honestly, I was as excited for these as I’ve ever been for a yoyo! I wasn’t disappointed at all at the looks. Unfortunately, I accidentally ordered the Cruiser shells when I meant to order the Coupe. Now I see they’re sold out! :sob:

I also got the Big Rig.

8 Likes