The float Experimence

Absolutely no ill will was intended, me and Greg have these debates all the time and I consider him a good friend. :slight_smile: Debates are healthy for the brain, and should be encouraged as long as they donā€™t get out of hand.

1 Like

Clyw Yeti (light grey)
Float 10/10
Speed 7/10
Stability 8/10

Clyw Bonfire
Float 9.5/10
Speed 8.5/10
Stability10/10

Clyw Ac2
Float 8.5/10
Speed 9/10
Stability 8/10

Iā€™m sure that I am forgetting someā€¦

Yeah Yetiā€™s can be very subjective. Though I agree with you (maybe 8/10 or so). Itā€™s a weird phenomenon because the float comes solely from the massive center weight of the hub.

I have yet to find a yoyo that falls slower than any other object

1 Like

YEs and every objects maximum velocity is the same which reaches at tā€™s max at the same rate as wellā€¦youā€™re right!!!

lmao at Gleipnir being floaty. That thing is basically a rock on the string. Same with the Triplet. Floatiest for me would be Yeti, Summit, Code 1, Draupnir, Wooly Marmot 2, Trancer, Fragment/Uragment. I know Model 10 and Acrophobia get talked about a lot as the floatiest, but theyā€™re fairly average for me. Letā€™s be honest, at the end of the day for the most part itā€™s all about weight. Other than the Yeti iā€™ve yet to find a floaty yoyo much past the mid-60ā€™s in weight.

I donā€™t know what float is. I think I do, but then I see this thread and see people naming yoyos that I feel are very floaty (Cliff, Bonfire, T1), and then naming ones that I donā€™t perceive as all that floaty (Summit, Chik), and then ones that feel to me completely solid and un-floaty (Gleipnir, Yeti).

So basically, I have no idea what yoyos are and arenā€™t floaty. Apart from the Cliffā€¦ I know that the Cliff is. :wink:

Also,

I have to agree that my Summit always feels a little out of control to me. I think I owe more bumps and bruises to it than any of my other yoyos, and I can never really seem to get a feel for exactly what itā€™s doing. Itā€™s like a rebellious child. :stuck_out_tongue:

^^ This man knows from Gleipnirs.

I also very much agree about weight. For a heavy yoyo to feel ā€œfloatyā€, it MUST have a high diameterā€¦ and in that case, I do believe that itā€™s a matter of perception. Itā€™s more of a ā€œwhoah, this thing is light for its sizeā€ thing, so it still mentally ties back to ā€œlight weightā€.

Definitely agree with Pineapple Jumpsuit, too. Haha!

But you knowā€¦ science aside, I do understand what is meant by the term or at least what it means to me and the people I typically yap yoyo with; Yeti is not floaty to me, and Code 1 still reigns as one of the float kings!

Ares star

Wrong dude, itā€™s not a rock compared to the Stargazer. I donā€™t think anyone here understands the other personā€™s opinion on float, or what it is in general. It seems like everyone has a different take on float, so I will list my definition of float: Smooth almost effortless transfer from string to string, hollow feeling, basically an agile feeling, easy to control in the air. Thatā€™s how I justify my Gleipnirā€™s float. Someone should make a thread on peopleā€™s opinion of float. Looking back at mine, Iā€™m sure itā€™s quite different from other peopleā€™s, so I shall rename my definition as ā€œcloud-likeā€. Also think response pads make a huge difference in how it hits the bottom of the string also influencing the floaty feel. Iā€™m starting to think the whole float thing is probably psychological, itā€™s too hard to define. And NathanC, donā€™t ā€œlmaoā€ at other peopleā€™s opinions, they might take it offensively, although I didnā€™t.

I have always maintained that the response pads-- and in general, the way a yoyo hits the end of a string-- is a significant contributor to perception of float. Bounciness of string factors in there, too.

Without having played one, I will still maintain that Iā€™ve never heard anyone describe the Gleipnir as anything but solid. But znin is very much correct that itā€™s mostly psychological. The brain and perception are amazing things. I meanā€¦ is the dress blue and black? Haha!

This guy may be correct ā€œSmooth almost effortless transfer from string to string, hollow feeling, basically an agile feeling, easy to control in the air.ā€ I say this because everyone has a different body, different sized muscles, and everyoneā€™s style and muscle memory is different in how they control the throwā€¦any take on this theory?

I like that definition of float, for sure. So I donā€™t think itā€™s the definition that people are always missing each other on. But the experience of it. NathanC confirms based on his experience what I already proposed: nobody else seems to think the Gleipnir meets those criteria. Perhaps itā€™s a bit of ā€œeffortā€ to jump it from string to string and when it hits the destination string it wants to be heavy and solid, not effortlessly move to the next string in the comboā€¦

If znin says that all of those characteristics are how he feels about the Gleipnir, then the Gleipnir MUST be ā€œfloatyā€ to himā€¦ but NathanC would disagree with how effortless and agile the Gleipnir feels to him.

Does muscle memory factor in? Maybe. I still think itā€™s mostly psychology.

This is deep stuff.