The elusive General Yo

Gets popcorn

This is gonna be awesome. So ready for this argument to happen.

1 Like

This isn’t the thread for your misplaced debate. The OP just simply asked if anyone had a yoyo that they wanted but never got a chance to try. If you guys want to discuss what companies deserve their “hype” (a word that requires a strict definition, btw), you should go make your own thread about that topic.

It’s like a disease on this board.

For me, it’s anything Jason Wong ano’s. I always seem to miss out on getting a beautiful skittles throw. I had a couple but have had to let them go for one reason or another.

With my current preferences, my dream throw is a Jason Wong ano’d silver skittles OG Punch Line. I did love that sort-of-silver-skittles-y thing that Aman did for some of the recent Gen Yo’s, too. I’d be hard pressed to complain about that. :wink:

Mike is right… My bad for derailing

Wow now I feeling lucky I magically got a torrent for free.

The only Genyo I REALLY liked was the KLR. Really mad I traded mine away. All other general yos didn’t really live up to the hype IMO but that doesn’t mean they were bad, it just meant they were wayyyyyyy overhyped.

By my personal definition, every yoyo in existence is overhyped. I have never thrown a yoyo yet that my first reaction wasn’t “yup, it’s a yoyo!”

This reaction is more common as you’ve tried more yoyos as well. So after you’ve tried your first few “astonishing” yoyos, everything else becomes less impressive.

I know for me that “Elusive YoYo” would be a Jason Wong “Loaded Chief”.

I have a huge collection of Chiefs, but will never consider it complete until I score a Loaded Chief to add to it.
I might also say that it’s not like I have missed out on buying one since I have never seen one for sale, but I know that if I had one it would not be on the BST !!
That being said, I’m not that surprised I have not yet been able to find one.

Hope springs eternal though.

Keep the faith Stickman :slight_smile: I hope you find one to complete your case. Mine is the grizzly bear clown town #2 Peak. I had one and it was the smoothest peak I have owned but I traded it away during the skywalker hype (which was the most insane hype IMO) and I have regretted it since. Dont get me wrong I love the 7 skywalkers I have kept but I think the prices they sold for were stupid cause out of 15 I owned only 2 were dead smooth.

I’m guessing the whole 64 grams that the hatrick and 5 star weigh are to heavy for you

1 Like

Settle down, I was just offering a different opinion. I think many people would agree that General-Yo deserves the hype. I didn’t say General-Yo yoyos were ONLY good because they were smooth, but it is their defining characteristic and I happen to enjoy smooth throws. Your assertion that “almost all” modern yoyos are smooth I would generally agree with but there ARE varying degrees of smoothness. There are other great things about General-Yo. Examples: they have a powerful spin, an excellent bead blast, are generally stable. You definitely feel quality when you are holding one. This is why they are elusive and why they sell out so fast. If you say they only sell out fast because of how few are made, I would have to disagree. They are sell out fast because people like them. There are other yo-yo company’s throws who sit on the shelf with similar # of units made.

You can find General-Yo if you look. They are available on the b/s/t forum if you are willing to pay retail prices.

I have no doubt that they are great yoyos (want a Model 10 badly!) but it’s obvious that an item will sell out more quickly when there are fewer of them… that’s just self-evident. :wink: An item is also more “elusive” when there are fewer of that item made in total. Again, that’s just logic.

Model 10, some day you shall be mine. Aman ano’d, probably not as likely. :wink:

Smoothness is a pretty darn good judge of the manufacturing quality. As for slow and sluggish… you must have found the rare lead 5-Star. The one I use own was a speed demon on the string. Now as far as the design is concerned, you say antiquated others would say classic. Kind of like a '67 Shelby GT500 is a classic. You would probably just call it antiquated and slow compared to a modern Mustang.

Ernie releases what he can afford to manufacture. These are made here, not in some over seas sweat shop. You have a right to you opinion on the colors but I found the red Model 10 to be a thing of beauty. It sounds more like you are hurt that you couldn’t score a recent Gen-Yo for yourself so you are lashing out at a manufacturer that is producing a quality product.

So true. The hype will die. PLEASE so me the inexpensive 5-Star (v.1 or v.2) or the inexpensive Torrent. They haven’t been made in over 4 years so there must just be a glut of them on the forums. Heck, the Majesty has been out for over a month. Could you please find me 5 easy to purchase Majesties in the “superior” 7075 alloy? Hey, the hype is dead… right?

I think you may have Ernie confused with “other” companies. Do you have proof or are you just blowing smoke. I would love to see the proof if you have it.

We get it, you like Chinese yo-yos. You have your misguided opinion of the world and have decided to spew your venom all over companies that do not deserve it as evidenced here:

1 Like

sigh oh yoyogeezer, what are we to do with you?

Ugh i hate to do this, i mean goodness these are TOYS we’re talking about, but…

Sure smoothness is a determinant of quality, and 99% of yoyos on the market are what i would consider high quality and smooth, that wasn’t my point. My point was that to consider a yoyo good just because it’s smooth is fairly pointless when most yoyos are smooth, so this whole General Yo = smooth = good thing is ridiculous.

So this obviously wasn’t my point. Actually it’s the opposite. I’m all for rare yoyos, heck i love limited, small runs, no my problem is when to get them you have to befriend and grovel to the manufacture rather than them being sold in stores. I don’t have the time or energy to contact Ernie and ask for some rare yoyo he might have, and that’s fine i don’t really want them, it more seems unfair to the newcomers or others who aren’t aware of the “General Yo” business model who end up missing out because they didn’t know their was some secret system in place. As far as being bitter because i’m missing out? Nah not at all, i think i saw maybe 9 or so Model 10’s available in various online stores and passed on them all, same with the last run of Majesties, they were certainly there if i wanted them, but i happily passed, and i’ll say it right now the only reason i passed on the Model 10s was because of the ano, in a world of gorgeous throws i don’t have time for red and blue.

So again that’s my point, a year ago it was no big deal, there were Gen Yos available on the B/S/T and they were about as in demand as most other high end throws, but clearly now that’s not the case - hype.

Keep in mind i posted some comments about the KLR, not even negative comments, after buying one, so i wasn’t even bashing, but giving constructive criticism that people liked blasts, and that the black and white scribbled ano was not great. And hey we’ve seen more blasts since and none of that ano again, so… you guys are welcome.

Doesn’t seem to me like YYG likes Chinese yoyos, more like a) if a $50 Chinese yoyo can be smooth then is smoothness really a criteria worth discussing anymore, and b) time to see some more innovation among American companies.

I agree; my mistake for participating too. Not the place.

No, I’m pretty sure it has been darn near impossible to get an OG Torrent or a 5-Star for the better part of a couple years now.

You are not making sense on availability. First you say you have no time to go through the clandestine maneuvers to get a Gen-Yo and then you say you gladly passed on so e Gen-Yos that were readily available in stores. Which one is it? Keep in mind we are in a community where CLYW models sell out in minutes and the runs are larger so finding an “ultra hyped” Gen-Yo readily available should be tantamount to seeing God by your standards.

As for the “censoring”. You insult a forum member and expect it not to be redacted? Sucks doesn’t it? I have it happen quite a bit but that is not Ernie’s fault, it as ultimately Andre’s call to do it. I have been on the receiving end of the Mod Hammer on many an occasion. While I have not been “happy” about you don’t see me crying a out it either.

And geezer is very pro Chinese at the moment. Read it for yourself this was a comment he made directly to me:

Now back on topic. My elusive yoyos would be a Alex Berugual Peak and a One Drop Format C:. That last one is tough since only OD team members got one.

Wait, explain something to me. What’s wrong with liking Chinese companies? How is this a bad thing? And what do Chinese yoyos being cheap have ANYTHING to do with their smoothness? The Duncan Raptor, Metropolis, and Echo are all under 50, and are very smooth. The YYF Popstar is 25 and dead smooth. On the General Yo bashing, I’ve tried a KLR and was very impressed with it. I would snatch one up instantly if I ever get the chance. General Yos are popular because they are very unique, they possess a different feel to them, similar to why everyone likes CLYW so much. And General Yos are also known for their smoothness, not just on the string and grinds, but the blasted finish as well and the way the yoyo itself feels in use, all of this contributes to the phrase “General Yo smooth,” that only a few companies are able to match. And YoyoGeezer, that comment about One Drop was very uncalled for. If it wasn’t One Drop, then who designed the Burnside? Who designed the first titanium under 200, the Sovereign? Who created Side Effects? What’s your definition of a good yoyo? What’s your standard if even One Drop can’t reach it?

There is nothing wrong with liking Chinese companies. I think C3 is an amazing company. Where I take offense is with the bashing of American companies and stating they will fall to the Chinese manufacturers. I also find it maddening when some one says that successful America. Companies need to be more Chinese I their nature, like they have not been in business for several years and haven’t grown their business exponentially.